U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM

197 posts, read 140,333 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me the safe areas to live in Springfield? Considering possible move from Michigan. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 AM

87 posts, read 29,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
Could someone tell me the safe areas to live in Springfield? Considering possible move from Michigan. Thanks.

The safest areas are definitely the southeastern part of the city. Avoid the northwest.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM

873 posts, read 1,747,290 times
Probably as good a resource as any:
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/S...issouri/crime/

Old 06-27-2019, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,345 times
I've lived here 30+ years. My husband was a realtor, and we've lived in 13 different houses, so I consider myself an expert in Springfield housing.
That being said, this is my opinion, and my background and tolerance level my be different than yours.
My top pick: The east side of Springfield, East of Highway 65. Residential, established, secure, safe. I raised my family here and love it.
South side, south of Republic Road is good. Safe, family friendly. High concentration of neighborhoods, so traffic congestion is bad, but living is good and safe.
West. No. My mother lives there and we've observed the composition changing from owners to renters over the years. I would describe it as the working poor.
North. No. Demographically, this is where you'll find the highest concentrations of poverty, crime and homelessness.
Center City. No. Same as North. Plus add in several homeless shelters and kitchens combined with Millenials flocking downtown to live in lofts. The have and have-nots bumping heads is not a pretty situation. However, if you are seeking an architecturally significant house, center city is the place to get that. There are a few active neighborhood associations there, but what they like to gloss over the crime problems. We lived in a center city historic district called Rountree. Beautiful old historic homes, charm, character, a storybook neighborhood. And crime ridden. so much foot traffic from the homeless and high crime rates-mostly burglary, to match. My absolute favorite home we ever owned, and the neighborhood I couldn't wait to move away from the most.

We've lived everywhere, with the exception of the West, and I feel like my mother living there has given me the information relevant. We lived Northside when we were broke and first starting out. Southside when we started to "make it" financially and wanted a good preschool. East side when we wanted bigger yards, more established neighbors and like minded business people. Briefly center city when we became empty nesters, then back to the east side. It's wonderful here.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM

568 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
Depending on where you lived before, you may find Springfield to be safe or dangerous. Perspective is something to keep in mind here.

If you moved from a place like St Louis, Springfield will be safe almost everywhere comparatively. If you move from a small town like many do who come here, everywhere in town will seem crime ridden. But I am going to give you a few guidelines.

The farther from downtown you are the better for property crime avoidance. The farther you are from the center city west side and the center city north side, the safer you are from violent crime. The far SW, SE, and extreme far north central are all pretty safe. Get some real estate magazines, and check homes and prices. If you note good looking 3BR houses for 50-60k, think bad neighborhood. If you see similar houses for 80-110k, think good neighborhood. It isn't rocket science there, the nice areas bring more money for the same homes, just like everywhere else.

Springfield crime stats are scary. There are shots fired, drive by shootings and murders in higher numbers than most cities this size. However, that is a bit deceptive in that most of those are between parties that know each other (think meth/heroin). The chances of you being shot by a complete stranger are slim unless you like to frequent the known trouble spots in the rougher parts of town.

Springfield is a city of about 150k, that grew out of a small town and still has the small town mentality. That's good and bad, based on what you are looking for. If you move here and don't like it, I doubt that it will be because of crime. Boredom maybe, lack of big city culture possibly, lack of diverse population maybe, the weather is a possible one. But, the city is blessed with good schools, great medical facilities. folks of all colors who seem to get along pretty well despite national events like Ferguson being just a couple of hundred miles away, and wonderful lakes and nature trails for outdoors folks.

I love it here, and have been here since '59.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,181 times
What do you think of Republic for a family w/ 3 kids?

Old 07-23-2019, 05:49 PM

568 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrags View Post
What do you think of Republic for a family w/ 3 kids?
Republic is a very nice small town with the convenient access to Springfield just a few minutes up a four lane highway. Very safe, pretty darn clean, friendly in my opinion and a great water park/pool for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or