Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,664 times

Advertisements

I am a professional moving back to southwest MO, having grown up in Mt. Vernon, and lived in the 70s and early 80s. I have visited the area every year since I left and I am now returning to be near family again -- Dad is 86 and ill, Mom is 83 and I have no siblings, so here I come -- currently reside in AZ, near Mesa, but I am in MO now and plan to stay until sometime in January.

I figure Springfield would be the most likely city for me to find employment, but do need to stay within an hour of Mt. Vernon. I need to find a short term rental so I can re-learn the area, job hunt and when I find employment, move closer to work in a longer term rental. I am expecting housing prices to stay where they are or perhaps drop a bit, so I am not too concerned about putting money into a rental for 6 months or so. Can anyone suggest a quiet, safe, furnished, non-smoking place that offers short term rentals? When I lived here before, I was attacked by a man in my own back yard, so security is important to me.

Also, are their any reputable recruiters for professionals here? Seems like companies like PenMac and Express Personnel are more focused on blue collar jobs. It doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling when the first thing they do is give you a cup to pee in. If I were in healthcare or a truck driver, I could find work in about 5 minutes. But I have worked for technology companies such as Oracle, First Data, Memorex Telex doing exeutive support, technical writing, and training; also have done some marketing and years ago was in property management. Where are the jobs? BTW, everyone says to try Jack Henry -- I have, and I did have an interview there -- was not selected, but will keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 11:31 AM

Help! I am replying to my own post! Isn't there one person out there who can reply?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 109,537 times
Default springfield

I have lived in Springfield all my life practically. I have yet to know of a home that is furnished and for rent. What I do know, is that everytime I see a place thats for rent, and find out how much it rents for it blows me away. Its the same or higher than what I pay for my home that I OWN.

I would defintly recomend thinking about buying a home. As far as sercurity goes, Ive never been scared. I feel like its a safe place.

If you would like, I could send you listings of homes, that would be sold for the same price that you are willing to pay in rent.

let me know if I can help

Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 AM

100 posts, read 494,282 times
Employment in Springfield right now is good - I have never seen anyone have a problem if they wanted work. My son just got back fromIraq and was employed in 2 days.

I have specific knowledge of the real estate market, and can help. Email me for details. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Randy, would love to know HOW your son found work in 2 days in Springfield. I have been looking for weeks. Networking, CareerBuilder, etc. I am a professional who has worked for major corporations such as Oracle Corp. and First Data. Perhaps employers think I am over-qualified? Yes, rents are as high as a house payment, but I'm not ready to buy a home yet because I need to find a job first to target where I would live. Right now I am staying at an extended stay hotel. Not at all the same as where I was living in AZ on an acre of land with a view of the Superstition Mountains. I am looking for employment anywhere between Spfd. and Joplin. My dad has Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and I need to be within an hour of Mt. Vernon. Thanks to everyone who has replied!!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:37 AM

100 posts, read 494,282 times
Maybe I know somebody - I'm sure wlling to try. Email me with your qualifications, I will put some feelers out. I think my son got work so fast because he is going to grad school, and didn't really care what he did, it is only for a while.

Like I said, PM me with details, and I can ask around, I know lots of people in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area