U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 04:56 PM

12 posts, read 7,392 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to this area from Colorado. I work from home so job location is not a concern.

We live in a picturesque small town in the foothills of the mountains with walk-ability, bike-ability, and a lot of family events and playgrounds etc.

This is really what we love and are hoping to find somewhere in this area...the problem is we are being driven out by cost of living, overbuilding, liberalism, and drug problems.

Are there any areas that we might consider visiting around here? We have a young family and enjoy family activities, walking, biking, camping and hiking and church.

I know you can't believe everything you read online but is the meth or other drugs a huge problem? We want to give our children a safer, better, drug free, Christian life. Not move to another area suffering from drugs.

We are drawn to the Branson because we like a small compact town with a lot to do, but not sure because of the older population and tourists? Read up on Ozark too??

We plan to homeschool if that helps anything.

Thank you so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,181 times
Default Us too!

Also a family from CO considering moving to Republic for the same reasons. Curious to see if you get any feedback!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 AM

872 posts, read 1,746,877 times
Ozark. Willard. Nixa. Rogersville. Maybe Republic. Maybe Strafford - all adjoining Springfield, Mo.

Branson always has seemed a bit like living in a theme park to me. But I am speaking as an outsider and do know many people who love it.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:50 PM

265 posts, read 126,272 times
I think this would be a great place to raise a family. Sure there are pockets of crime and drugs but you can avoid those areas. Weed is not legal here so it should not be as bad. Probably won't be anytime soon either. Republic is a nice town I live a few miles away from it. Sometimes I shop there. I have Grandkids living outside Willard they like it better than Springfield. Willard has better schools. I am not sure about Republic but I would guess there school system is much better than Springfield.

Cost of living is still reasonable down here. You can spend as much or as less as you want on a place. You can even find places out in the country for reasonable prices. The rural counties next to Springfield are generally cheaper, the more rural you go the better. 15 min or 20 min out of town you are very rural. Lots of awesome fishing and lakes for swimming and boating.

I am just an old retired guy now, so this is just my old man opinion. I have lived here 8 years and i like it.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM

12 posts, read 7,392 times
Thanks for your input guys!

Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM

566 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgentry88 View Post
We are considering a move to this area from Colorado. I work from home so job location is not a concern.

We live in a picturesque small town in the foothills of the mountains with walk-ability, bike-ability, and a lot of family events and playgrounds etc.

This is really what we love and are hoping to find somewhere in this area...the problem is we are being driven out by cost of living, overbuilding, liberalism, and drug problems.

Are there any areas that we might consider visiting around here? We have a young family and enjoy family activities, walking, biking, camping and hiking and church.

I know you can't believe everything you read online but is the meth or other drugs a huge problem? We want to give our children a safer, better, drug free, Christian life. Not move to another area suffering from drugs.

We are drawn to the Branson because we like a small compact town with a lot to do, but not sure because of the older population and tourists? Read up on Ozark too??

Ozark and Nixa are high priced small towns due to their access to Springfield. Branson is a great place to visit once a year, but in my mind not a place to live. I will explain my thoughts, but they are just that, my thoughts.

Branson has a huge transient population of migratory entertainment workers, people looking to make a fast buck legally off the tourist, people who moved there because they loved visiting then tired of it, and then naturally people looking to make a fast buck by pedaling drugs or breaking into homes/autos.

It is right on the lake, but not the one you will want to swim in. If you trout fish lake Taneycomo, not an Indian name, but rather the combo of TANEY COunty MissOuri. It is cold and has a constant current. That means Lake Table Rock, which is a great recreational lake still requires renting a boat slip or trailering. So you might as well trailer a bit farther and save some money on property and some aggravation on the aforementioned.

Close suggestions to Branson: Kimberling City, Holister, Reeds Spring, Ridgedale. Farther away and closer to Springfield: Republic, Rogersville and Marshfield. All of those in my mind are good choices with Republic and Rogersville the two best all around.

As to areas to visit, there are too many to list. The area in SW Missouri is an outdoor paradise, barring a few months of real bad heat. Lakes, woods, rivers and more outdoor attractions abound. It truly is an outdoor lovers dream.

Meth is everywhere, and no better or worse here. It is no den of dope like you always read. There is no place in America now that is drug or crime free. Our government makes money on marijuana and gambling, so it is expected kids would grow up to believe chasing some form of a high is OK. I would bet even in Springfield meth is no worse than any similar town (approx. 160k) anywhere.

It is also a conservative Christian area, but that is changing as is America. I wish you well and hope this helped.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 PM

872 posts, read 1,746,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Ozark and Nixa are high priced small towns due to their access to Springfield.
Not compared to Colorado.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:48 PM

566 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Not compared to Colorado.
Since they will likely be living on Missouri wages, Colorado cost of living doesn't seem to be a factor. Ozark and Nixa are sky high cost of living towns for their size and in this area. I thought cost of living was one of the reasons the OP stated for moving?

They both have a lot of Springfield commuters who are in the upper middle to upper class income levels and have driven the property and tax rates up the last few years. Just a few miles away are several towns of similar size with much lower housing cost, lower property and sales tax and just as easy a commute to Springfield although a bit farther away.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:40 PM

213 posts, read 108,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgentry88 View Post

Not sure what part of CO you are in but MO is very different in culture as you know. And be ready to deal with tornado sirens and humidity. I lived in Boulder 10 yrs also Lafayette and Denver and the change to the midwest is drastic. Cheaper yes but there is also crime in the Springfield area and its changing rapidly day by day (more and more people). Lots of drugs here for sure. I think we all have to face it that the US will never go back to how simple, clean and safe it once was and that's not easy to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or