U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM

37 posts, read 30,101 times

Advertisements

hello we emigrate to springfield mo myself and wife and 2 boys aged 18 and 20 for the first time. what tax do we pay in springfield? .... Property tax is on the area and personal property is that high? and utilities what is there in gas light also water and sewage? are there any more payments you have to pay every month? what we have to take into account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 04:50 PM

265 posts, read 126,388 times
Default well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto33 View Post
hello we emigrate to springfield mo myself and wife and 2 boys aged 18 and 20 for the first time. what tax do we pay in springfield? .... Property tax is on the area and personal property is that high? and utilities what is there in gas light also water and sewage? are there any more payments you have to pay every month? what we have to take into account

Well living in Green county (Springfield) will cost you more. Maybe try looking a few miles outside the city in one of the many rural counties you will pay less in taxes. Also if you live in a rural area you most likely will have a well and septic so no charges there except electric for the well. I pay 300 bucks a year in land tax for a 2 acre place with a manufactured home. I am in Lawrence county around Halltown Mo. Missouri does charge personal property tax on your vehicles the newer the vehicle the higher the price.

I like this area, I have been here 10 years now. It does get hot in the summer. Fishing is pretty good, if your boys like to fish they will be heaven.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:52 PM

hello Clubmike how do you mean the land tax. if you pay that on top of the property tax you pay $ 175 per month on property tax, you also pay land tax

Just copied from zillow der property tax $ 1436 is that the total amount? or do you have to pay the $ 7600 for land every year?

Year Taxes Land Additions Total Assessment
2018 $1,436 $7,600 + $18,430 = $26,030

Last edited by Alberto33; 09-26-2019 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 AM

265 posts, read 126,388 times
ok, sorry I was confusing. When I said land tax I meant property tax.

So for all year I pay only 300 dollars for property tax. Since I own my property free and clear I pay no-one else.

I also have a well so I just pay for the electric to pump the water from the well. About 25 bucks a month.

I hope this helps you.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 PM

ok then you have a house of about $ 35000 then I understand. But your insurance on the house is then high?

Old 09-28-2019, 08:01 AM

873 posts, read 1,747,290 times
There are two annual taxes on property in Missouri: 1) Real Estate Taxes and 2) Personal Property Taxes. Each are due in the local county tax offices on or before December 31 of each year.

In both cases the taxes are levied upon the property you owned as of January 1 of that year. Personal property taxes are assessed based upon a form you fill out. Real estate taxes are billed to the address of the owner of record. The bills will go out some time in November. You are responsible for the taxes whether you received a bill or not.

Real estate taxes are simple - they are due on real estate you own, including the attached buildings and other permanent improvements. Property taxes are assessed on certain kinds of personal property, most commonly automobiles, trucks, trailers, and machinery. They also include livestock and other property used for business purposes.

The rates vary by county and city. However, a typical Missouri resident might pay $1,500 per year in real estate taxes and $400 per year for their car. The current tax on real estate is a matter of public record and can be found by calling the county real estate tax office and giving them the address. Personal property taxes may also be found by calling the county personal property tax office and giving them the make, model, and year of any automobiles, trucks, etc. you own.

If you have a mortgage on your house it is likely that the lender will require you to "escrow" - or pay in an amount each month - for the property taxes and they will then pay the tax bill at the end of each year. In such a case you may not ever see a bill or pay the tax directly to the county. So, instead of paying the county directly, say, $1500 at the end of each year, you may well pay your lender $125 each month along with the mortgage payment.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Arrby. thank you for clearly describing the tax. But if you now have more than 1 car let's say 3. do you pay example 3 x $ 400 or there is also a limit

Old 09-28-2019, 04:01 PM

I misstated one item above: for answers to questions on either real property or personal property taxes you should contact the assessor's office in the county in which the property is located.

Personal property taxes are levied against each individual car you own as of January 1 of each year while living within the county. If move and you bring a car or cars into the county any time between now and the end of the year you owe NO personal property tax for 2019. However, to get a license plate for the car it will be necessary to obtain a waiver receipt from the assessor office of your county showing that you did not owe any tax. The license offices will not issue a new license plate without that waiver receipt.

The procedure for calculating the tax is not easy to explain, and it varies not only by county but where precisely you live within the county.

Again - contact the assessor's office of the county in which you live for answers.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:05 PM

11,826 posts, read 5,519,321 times
Your real property is assessed at 19% of the actual value for tax purposes.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Your real property is assessed at 19% of the actual value for tax purposes.
Not quite. The tax bill is a rate of so many dollars per 100 dollars of assessed value, with the assessed value of single family residential real estate being 19% of the "actual value" as determined by the assessor's office.

The taxes are not 19% of the value of the real estate, but rather a percentage - called the mill rate - applied to 19% of the value of the real estate. This "mill rate" or "millage" is what varies between counties or even within a county. They could have set the rate as a percentage of the total value of the real estate, but that would be too easy. In Greene county Mo., for example the mill rate will be something in the range of $5 to $5.50 per $100 dollars of valuation.

So, say you are in Greene County and have real estate that has a value of $150,000. 19% of $150,000 is $28,500. Divide $28,500 by 100 and you have 285 "units of valuation". 285 times $5 gives a tax of $1425.

What determines the mill rate? I'm glad you asked. The state has a mill rate. The county will have a mill rate. There will be an additional rate for roads. Another for libraries. A big one for schools. Another for the city in which you live. Or, if you live outside any city you can expect a mill rate for your fire district. And still more for various slush funds which some special interest group or another has managed to bamboozle the voters into approving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or