Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,659 times

Advertisements

I am quite surprised by some of the comments. We have lived here longer than anywhere ~ a planned thing ~ and always hear people say that they intended it to be a resting place on their way to the next move in their career. . . until they found out how much they loved the area. I would have to agree with some of the later comments that it offers something for everyone. As with every place you live, you have to be willing to make some effort, though. If you are laid-back & into fishing, there is hardly a better place to live. If you are into the arts, the Juanita K Hammonds and other theaters offers excellent productions. The Springfield Art Museum is currently expanding, and always has excellent displays, not to mention their classes. The economy stays stronger than in other markets because it is not dependent upon one or two industries. Therefore we see less flux in job loss than some cities much more dependent on a certain type of industry in order to thrive. No, we do not have a Nordstrom's. There is also a lot less pressure to outspend your neighbor because peoples' values are based on the quality of a person rather than quantity here, for the most part. I hope you meet those people first. The others are few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,229 times
Default Hello!

Great post! Welcome to c-d!!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 PM

24 posts, read 94,341 times
I've spent the last 3 years looking for a place that I could relocate to that met all my criteria. I have to say that Springfield looks very promising. Compared to where I am currently living (Baton Rouge, LA) Springfield sounds like heaven. I was even surprised by housing and rent costs. The promise of lower taxes and more affordable automobile insurance rates also has its appeal. I lived in Spokane for 2 years and I would be able to adjust to the weather easily, I believe. I love to fish and having 9 lakes within 90 minutes of Springfield is just icing on the cake. Can I tell you, I even get excited at the thought of driving on roads without pot-holes. I understand and expect that some people will be distant or stoic but I can live with that. I can be friendly enough for the both of us. I heard someone mention a lack of "gourmet" foods but my only concern here is, is there a Whole Foods Market in Springfield? I've been meaning to learn to cook anyways. :-)

Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM

870 posts, read 3,082,229 times
No Whole Foods in Springfield, YET, but there are two options...Kansas City or St. Louis. Both are nice day/weekend trips from Springfield .

There are a lot of choices right here, tho...very few things that you just can't get. I think You'll like it!!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 PM

I just looked at the Whole Foods web site and they have a link for those who wish to "request" a Whole Foods Market in your area. Perhaps you can get enough people to do so and they will have one built before I get there. LOL. With the areas population, I find it hard to believe you don't have one, especially in Branson.

After such a long search, it's such a relief to finally have some light at the end of the tunnel. Having a goal/destination, I can now make the necessary preparations. My heart's racing at the prospect of moving away from Louisiana. The strong Christian community, in Springfield is also a breath of fresh air to me.

I'm going to try and convince my boss to relocate his business there. He could easily get the capital to make the move if he wanted. I think he wants to get out of Louisiana as much as I do, and his having children would make it even more important to him.

Either way I now know where I would like to be, and it would still put me in driving distance of my extended family.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM

12 posts, read 32,315 times
We just moved from Baton Rouge to Springfield in February.
We have found that housing is a lot cheaper and since Baton Rouge market was so strong we sold our house in 20 days market time. Cost of living outherwise is about a wash. Some thing down some a little up.
Fantastic place, we love it. I just do all my own Cajun cooking, plus regular kinds.
There are a lot of pretty good places to eat here, Mexican, Italian, Chinese etc.
Only thing limited is sea food but you can even do that just have to pay the price.
Load up a Bellue's before you come and make a couple of runs down south a year.
HEH HEH
Very friendy place with great people, it feels like home already.
People here think a traffic jam is when they have to wait for the scond light. They would die trying to go down College Drive an the Interstates anywhere a rush hour.
Good luck on moving here.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfingers View Post
Can I tell you, I even get excited at the thought of driving on roads without pot-holes.
Oh, there are a few around. Trust me!

Quote:
I understand and expect that some people will be distant or stoic but I can live with that. I can be friendly enough for the both of us. I heard someone mention a lack of "gourmet" foods but my only concern here is, is there a Whole Foods Market in Springfield? I've been meaning to learn to cook anyways. :-)
If there is I have not found it yet. There are some health food stores that have a good selection and there is the farmer's market, but nothing that could be considered a Whole Foods Market - please correct me if I am wrong.

20yrs

Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh, there are a few around. Trust me!

If there is I have not found it yet. There are some health food stores that have a good selection and there is the farmer's market, but nothing that could be considered a Whole Foods Market - please correct me if I am wrong.

20yrs
Just FYI. Whole Foods is a store chain. They just built one about a year ago in Baton Rouge. While I couldn't possibly do ALL of my shopping there I do love the selection and I buy my shampoos there exclusively.

As for the pot-holes, as long as there are only a few. We have roads here that basically one big patch, and don't get me started on the interstates.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
No Whole Foods in Springfield, YET, but there are two options...Kansas City or St. Louis. Both are nice day/weekend trips from Springfield .
Hello, I live in Oregon, and my sister and her husband live in southern Misouri, so I often check the MO site. FYI, I found that there are twp Trader Joe's markets in St Louis...,my favorite place to shop! It'd be pretty hard to get used to living without it, AND it's much cheaper than Whole Foods!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Talking Trader Joes, yea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hello, I live in Oregon, and my sister and her husband live in southern Misouri, so I often check the MO site. FYI, I found that there are twp Trader Joe's markets in St Louis...,my favorite place to shop! It'd be pretty hard to get used to living without it, AND it's much cheaper than Whole Foods!
Yes, there are Trader Joe's AND Whole Foods in St. Louis...and we're developing a network of peeps that haul groceries back for each other whenever they go... We've all been going to the websites to request TJ's here...they know we're out here...

Country girls can survive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area