Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,550,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975Dragon View Post
I've been in Springfield for 5 years. I hate to say this, but the only positive I can think of at this time is that housing is relatively cheap. (and blah, blah, blah)
You're full of baloney or something, dragon, as this news release from the Springfield chamber about a consulting firm's assessment of Springfield shows:

Springfield ranks as a top city for young professionals
06/16/2009
One of the nation's leading young professional consulting firms, Next Generation Consulting, has released its latest rankings of America's "Next Cities". The rankings place Springfield at 17th on the small cities list (cities with populations between 100,000 and 200,000). According to the US Census Bureau, there are 157 cities in the country with population in this size range.

Next Generation Consulting has been studying young professionals for more than 10 years and bases their research on 45 data points. This study focused on the residential and relocation patterns of 20-40 year olds and looked at seven indexes--Earning, Learning, Vitality, Around Town, After Hours, Cost of Lifestyle, and Social Capital.

“Simply being the cheapest place to live, or the city with the most jobs is not a long-term workforce strategy,” says NGCs founder, Rebecca Ryan. Although jobs are important, Ryan says, “The next generation is very savvy about choosing where they’ll live. They look carefully at quality of life factors like how much time they’re going to spend in traffic commuting, if they can live near a park or hike-and-bike trail, and whether a city’s downtown stays awake after five.”

“We are very pleased to be ranked so high, this shows that we are heading in the right direction in attracting and retaining young professionals to the Springfield area. We feel that our focus on entrepreneurship and community leadership will help us to continue on that path,” says Kristen Westerman, manager of workforce and business development for the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce.

Other high-ranking “Next Cities” in Springfield’s category include such cities as Fort Collins, Colo., Charleston, S.C., Eugene, Ore., and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Springfield ranked above Salt Lake City, Utah, Richmond, Va., and Hampton, Va. For the more information visit www.business4springfield.com/news .
Now just think what is going to happen once this word gets out. This will help bring in more Californians, etc., making the the Queen City of the Ozarks more progressive and less Ozarkian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Now just think what is going to happen once this word gets out. This will help bring in more Californians, etc., making the the Queen City of the Ozarks more progressive and less Ozarkian.
Sop what's your recommendation for when I move there in a few months, OB, winters in your neighborhood and summers in Springfield or visa versa?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,184,282 times
Dragon thanks for the Uplifting Words on Springfield.Nice to see it has changed it use to be much worse.

And yes Assemblies of God does believe and their very powerful Church.Oh I did leave them but I did Love Worshiping our Hevenly Father with all my heart.

You forgot to add Bass Pro Shop is there its the Redneck hangout.Got to Love hunting and fishing.

hillman

Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sop what's your recommendation for when I move there in a few months, OB, winters in your neighborhood and summers in Springfield or visa versa?
Where exactly are you moving, Curmudgeon? I need to know so I can drive 50 miles around the place.

By the way, here's something that just totally ticks me off. It is a story I ran across about a preacher and his wife who were holding small-group Bible studies in their California home and the county authoritarians told them to quit.

Everytime I read something like this, I cringe when I think about outsiders, especially Californians moving here. Why? Here's my logic:

Premise: This nonsense is the law out there in California because the people of California want such a law.
Premise: As more Californians move to the Ozarks and begin making it less Ozarkian, they will bring these ideas with them.
Premise: Eventually, we'll have such a law, too.
Premise: Many of us don't want such a law.
Conclusion: To prevent such a law, we need to discourage Californians from moving here not encourage them.

Seamless logic.

Also, Curm, did you notice that Springfield is looking for hip, groovy, cool, young, professionals, not grumpy old farts like you (or me)?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
Quote:
Where exactly are you moving, Curmudgeon? I need to know so I can drive 50 miles around the place.

By the way, here's something that just totally ticks me off. It is a story I ran across about a preacher and his wife who were holding small-group Bible studies in their California home and the county authoritarians told them to quit.

Everytime I read something like this, I cringe when I think about outsiders, especially Californians moving here. Why? Here's my logic:

Premise: This nonsense is the law out there in California because the people of California want such a law.
Premise: As more Californians move to the Ozarks and begin making it less Ozarkian, they will bring these ideas with them.
Conclusion: To prevent such a law, we need to discourage Californians from moving here not encourage them.

Seamless logic.

Also, Curm, did you notice that Springfield is looking for hip, groovy, cool, young, professionals, not grumpy old farts like you (or me)?
Don't blame you OB. It ticked me off as well. I read the story here and you'll be happy to know the county came to its senses and backed down.

Here's a possible seam or offshoot to your logic. Some of us are leaving the state because we deplore the nanny government, permissiveness and "progressive" mindset. The last thing we want to do is bring it with us. It's like bad dust we wish to shake off on our way out the door.

I noticed that about Springfield but they need a few grumpy old farts for balance and common sense or they may end up looking like California.

Oh, yeah. Once we're settled I'll walk across the street, knock on your door and introduce myself.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 195,434 times
Quote:

Seamless logic.
As far as I know, there is no such law in CA. It's some nutcase county employees wild with "power" and trying to advance their left-wing agenda. They're trying to find a loophole in a county ordinance and prevent these people from having friends at their house, for a Bible study. If it was a planning meeting on a campaign to protest incandescent lightbulbs or how to ban plastic grocery bags, that would probably be a-okay. Look at it this way - the people who do not want such "laws" are leaving CA and heading to other parts, MO for example. According to "seamless logic", the ones that do want such "laws" will remain. Then all is well, right?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
how accurate is Dragon's opinion of Springfield? My family has been considering a move there and I am now a little concerned but it may just be Dragon's own narrowmindedness of people? Can I get an opinion of someone who is not offended by "right winged extremists" and people who attend church regularly please? Thank you so much. My concern is the safety of the older quaint neighborhoods for my two little girls. And moving from Georgia where illegal immigration is a HUGE problem that is also a consideration. Thank you so much.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM

694 posts, read 1,348,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracypinkypie View Post
how accurate is Dragon's opinion of Springfield? My family has been considering a move there and I am now a little concerned but it may just be Dragon's own narrowmindedness of people? Can I get an opinion of someone who is not offended by "right winged extremists" and people who attend church regularly please? Thank you so much. My concern is the safety of the older quaint neighborhoods for my two little girls. And moving from Georgia where illegal immigration is a HUGE problem that is also a consideration. Thank you so much.
Like every other person you will find on this site, Dragon's opinion's are personal opinion's, no more, no less. We live in a world where everyone has a couple opinion's - and they also have a couple of armpits. Neither opinion's or armpits serve much purpose, and typically the only person that enjoys the smell of either is the bearer himself.

I personally have lived here all my life and do not see Springfield as Dragon does. But that is only my opinion. (does anyone else smell the refreshing smell of Right Guard?)

If you are looking for the bad, I would be willing to bet I can match bad for bad to where you live now. If you are looking for the good, then I can show you where the best of Missouri will make you want to move tomorrow. Springfield is not Eden, we all got kicked out of that a long time ago. But if you are looking for your own little piece of paradise, you might just find it here. Then again, you might just have it right where you live now - and not even realize it. That is for you, and you alone to decide once you have gotten your own "opinion".

Some people come here and hate this and hate that and either move on, or should move on. Some people come here and love this and love that and call it home.

Based on the census figures, there are many more of the latter every year.

Come visit and form your own opinion. You can change them - the armpits you're stuck with. Good luck in your decision.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM

694 posts, read 1,348,757 times
Quote:

Seamless logic.
OB - this was dropped last year. Even California found its senses - County won't force permit on Bible study leaders - SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
OB - this was dropped last year. Even California found its senses
Well, it is wonderful news that California has become a sensible place. Let us hope and pray that the people who live there will stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area