U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to more land and are considering the rural areas near Springfield (ideally within 30 mins). We have small children so my primary concern is safety but would also like a sense of community and respect with those around us.

Is safety or crime an issue in these areas? Are people generally friendly and respectful? Any rural regions you would recommend or suggest avoiding?

We are also looking at Kentucky, but know some people who have had bad experiences there with "trashy" people and drug-related crime.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 04:05 PM

265 posts, read 126,272 times
I think rural Springfield area is a good area, stay out of greene county (springfield) lots of regulations and stuff. I live in Lawrence county about 20 min west of springfield. My Daughter and her husband live near Willard but out in the country, they like the Willard school system better than the Springfield school system. You can find trouble anywhere, I have lived here 10 years I live out in the country. I have found no trouble. Lots of good people down here, sure there are trashy people as well. I believe there are more good people.

Land is cheap, taxes is cheap, I paid 300 bucks last year for land taxes for a 3 bedroom mobile on 2 acres. Electric costs me around 100 bucks a month it does go up to 125 in the winter. I have well water so no sewer or water costs out here in the country. Just lots of fresh air and clean living. Plenty of churches down here, if that is your thing. Lots to choose from.

I find it safe, are the signs shot up on the roads, sometime they are. You hear stories of drunk hillbillies riding around with guns in their trucks shooting up the signs but I yet to experience that. (although I ride around with my gun in my truck hmmm... does that count?)

So come on down to the land of cheap taxes and easy winters. Well easier than Minnesota Illinois or Michigan. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 PM
sub

1,767 posts, read 767,247 times
I would say Missouri is a half-step improvement from Kentucky in most respects, but it does have a lot of those same problems.
Wouldn’t worry too much about personal safety. Springfield has become worse with crime in recent years, but it’s not the worst place in the world.
I personally never found the Ozarks to be overly friendly nor do I get that there’s a strong sense of community in most places there. Not hateful, just different and often standoffish.
I’ve spent most of my life in or near the Ozarks including a stint close to Springfield.
Remember, historically speaking, people used to move to those hills to get away from everyone else and disconnect from mainstream society. Also, to hide from the law in some cases. Community spirit doesn’t come naturally, though some people make an effort.
The Ozarks work for a lot of people and it’s a fine area if the shoe fits, but I would strongly advise against romanticizing it into something it simply cannot be.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:36 AM

I have found Missouri very friendly, I moved here from a big city and the rural folks are very nice. Only 1 issue with 1 neighbor and he is now locked up in the big house for 10 years, nothing to do with me. So I find no matter where you call home you can find what you are looking for. If you look for stand offish type of folk, you can find them. If you are looking for friendly folk, you can find them. It depends what you are looking for in life. Sometimes like people attract each other so..............if all you are finding are mean and unfriendly people maybe take a long slow look in the mirror and adjust accordingly.

I guess some folks say the glass is half empty and others will argue to the grave that it is half full. With all that said I would not move to Douglas county, now that is one backwoods messed up place. ahahahahahahahahahahahha

Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM

567 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep0123 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to more land and are considering the rural areas near Springfield (ideally within 30 mins).
10-15 more miles from Springfield will save you a lot of money. Look at towns like Seymour, Aurora, Buffalo and others in that distance and size range. House and land are much cheaper. Everyone in this area looking to live rural looks for something within 30 minutes. But, depending on where you are living now, even just outside Springfield will likely be cheaper than where you are coming from.

Quote:

We have small children so my primary concern is safety but would also like a sense of community and respect with those around us.

Is safety or crime an issue in these areas? Are people generally friendly and respectful? Any rural regions you would recommend or suggest avoiding?
Missouri is very conservative in most rural areas, and pretty safe despite the crime stats that appear on national news and youtube. Most of the bad stats come from St Louis, Kansas City, SPRINGFIELD, and to a bit lesser extent Branson, Columbia and Joplin.

Few rural areas have much random crime. There is meth everywhere in America and Missouri is no exception. Lots of this has moved into the small towns. But other than property crimes like car break-ins most drug related crimes happen between people who know each other and are usually involved with each other on some drug or family level. If you don't do drugs, you likely will never be impacted by drug crime other than maybe a burglary or auto break-in. In southern Missouri violent crime is almost always either drug or grudge related. I have lived here over sixty years, and never been a victim of violent crime.

Quote:

We are also looking at Kentucky, but know some people who have had bad experiences there with "trashy" people and drug-related crime.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Don't know about Kentucky. You are welcome for the input. I love it here. Great fishing and hunting, great hiking and biking, beautiful lakes and great people.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,464 times
Thank you everyone for the input! It is very helpful to get people's subjective experiences of area since there is no way otherwise get a true feel for an area.

A follow-up question: How is the soil in the region for growing fruits and vegetables? I've read that it is rockier and not as fertile as northern MO, and I've also observed that NW AR has some red clay soil. However, a lady at the Springfield extension office said that despite some of these issues there were lots of people having good success in the region. I would love to hear any experiences on this subject as well. Thanks!

Last edited by asleep0123; 11-18-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 08:40 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So I find no matter where you call home you can find what you are looking for. If you look for stand offish type of folk, you can find them. If you are looking for friendly folk, you can find them. It depends what you are looking for in life. Sometimes like people attract each other so..............if all you are finding are mean and unfriendly people maybe take a long slow look in the mirror and adjust accordingly.

I guess some folks say the glass is half empty and others will argue to the grave that it is half full.
Not sure if this was directed towards me. While I don’t fully disagree, I think there can be genuine differences in how welcoming a place can be regardless of a newcomer’s attitude going in to it. I’m pretty stoic and really don’t change my approach from one place to another when I move. A neighborly and welcoming attitude varies quite a bit from one place to the next.
I’m not saying rural Missouri is terrible and unfriendly. It’s not. Going from the information the OP posted I just strongly recommend they spend as much time as they can researching and visiting before they make a decision. Then rent for a while if possible.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 AM
sub

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the input! It is very helpful to get people's subjective experiences of area since there is no way otherwise get a true feel for an area.

A follow-up question: How is the soil in the region for growing fruits and vegetables? I've read that it is rockier and not as fertile as northern MO, and I've also observed that NW AR has some red clay soil. However, a lady at the Springfield extension office said that despite some of these issues there were lots of people having good success in the region. I would love to hear any experiences on this subject as well. Thanks!
Small gardens are common. Requires more effort than non-rocky soil but people do it.
Of course I didn’t leave because of those issues, but I certainly don’t miss dealing with rocks all over the yard.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:41 PM

Default ummmmmmm........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Not sure if this was directed towards me. While I don’t fully disagree, I think there can be genuine differences in how welcoming a place can be regardless of a newcomer’s attitude going in to it. I’m pretty stoic and really don’t change my approach from one place to another when I move. A neighborly and welcoming attitude varies quite a bit from one place to the next.
I’m not saying rural Missouri is terrible and unfriendly. It’s not. Going from the information the OP posted I just strongly recommend they spend as much time as they can researching and visiting before they make a decision. Then rent for a while if possible.

I did not mean to direct it you, just my thoughts in general. I always felt welcome where ever I have been, maybe it is just me.

I have had ok luck growing apples, pears, peaches, plums (what little the deer leave for me) and cherries. I have several raised bed gardens as it is easy to make the dirt work for you that way. I like the long growing season. My blackberries and blueberries do great, we make jam every year. We did make some applesauce this year from the apple trees.

Best advice take a trip on down and see the place for yourself. I like it here. It is a little hot in the summer.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I did not mean to direct it you, just my thoughts in general. I always felt welcome where ever I have been, maybe it is just me.

I have had ok luck growing apples, pears, peaches, plums (what little the deer leave for me) and cherries. I have several raised bed gardens as it is easy to make the dirt work for you that way. I like the long growing season. My blackberries and blueberries do great, we make jam every year. We did make some applesauce this year from the apple trees.

Best advice take a trip on down and see the place for yourself. I like it here. It is a little hot in the summer.

We did raised bed gardens. It’s more work with the wood boxes, but probably one of the better ways to have a successful garden along the rocks.
Various fruit trees do seem to do well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or