U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 11:33 AM

18 posts, read 16,032 times

Advertisements

I need some honest opinions!!

We are currently renting in a small town north of KC while we scope out the state. I have heard such mixed feedback on the Springfield-Branson area. Many LOVE it. Then I heard deep warnings about meth, crime, and poverty.

We are a young family with two toddlers who are going to homeschool and want to give our children the best life we can, part of the reason we moved here. The last thing we want is to choose somewhere they might get hooked on drugs or grow up unsafe. (I do know drugs are everywhere, but kind of scary to move to the touted "meth capital")

We love everything else about the area...that's why we are so unsure!!

If you would move there..any recs for a small town with homeschooling, access to nature and lakes, town amenities and family events? SAFE AND NOT KNOWN FOR DRUGS?

Thanks again

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 16,032 times
Default Added

We work remotely so that's a nonfactor

Old 12-15-2019, 09:17 AM

873 posts, read 1,747,290 times
I have no hard data to work from, so the following is 100% personal experience, conjecture, and opinion.

I doubt that drug usage is worse in Springfield than other areas. I do not know any drug users and have not even the slightest idea how one goes about acquiring such stuff. My opinion is that Springfield gets the reputation because of the disproportionate amount of traffic through the city (relative to population) AND because our judges and prosecutors are still willing to act against dealers. The number of drug arrests in motels and from traffic stops on I 44 are truly staggering. Meanwhile, in many places the police no longer bother with small dealers and without arrests nothing appears in official statistics.

This is not to minimize the problem - we read crime reports regularly of people arrested after doing incredibly stupid things and they always end with "and possession of a controlled substance". But you only have to look at the cadres of "homeless" people in city after city - including Kansas City - to see that the problem is endemic.

I am certainly open to revising my opinion, however.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM

87 posts, read 29,700 times
The southeastern part of Springfield is pretty good for families. Theft is an issue all over the city, however. The crime, poverty, meth and other drugs are a problem northwest. The southwest and northeast parts are somewhere in between.

Nixa is a popular choice for many families with youngsters, if you are also considering nearby towns.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:15 PM

733 posts, read 1,543,478 times
I, like you absolutely love the area. Being from Kansas, I vacationed to Branson many times over the years. In July of 2019, I made the decision to move to the city. I wouldn't say I regret the decision, but there are aspects that were much different than I expected. There is a large homeless population compared to other cities similar in size to Branson. The drug problem is real and you will find that out pretty quick. It's easy not to get involved with the drugs, but you cant deny the fact that they exist in Branson. I've never had a family of my own, but from what I have seen here, I'm not sure I would be comfortable raising a family here. I don't say that to discourage you from moving here, but that's just my personal opinion. Good luck in whatever you choose though! I agree with the above poster that Nixa does appear to be the best place for families. Plus, it's only a 30 minute drive from Branson.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,345 times
Just my personal experiences:
We raised our 2 children on the East side of Springfield. Very residential, family oriented, never one crime or theft the entire time we lived there. However, fast forward 10 years to now.
Moved to the North side of Springfield to renovate a historic house. Horrible Crime. Daily Crime. Personally have been the victim twice now, neither provoked. We've Been burglarized, Our propane tank was stolen, and once after we bought our house 2 cars full of drunk adults came to my door looking for someone-became belligerent assuming we were hiding some person and police had to come. There is a gigantic homeless population in Springfield, because of all the services we offer to them, it is swelling.
My daughter is now raising her family on the East side of town, and her very affluent neighborhood is continually swamped by porch thieves and opportunistic thieves taking everything from seasonal décor, lawn equipment, etc.
At this point, I have lived in the old money part of town, and currently in the poverty stricken part of town, and I would say I would move to one of the suburbs to raise my family nowdays.

I have family in Willard, Buffalo-both with good school systems, minimal crime.
Nixa, Republic, Rogersville are all very nice.
If you don't mind living a little further away, Marshfield, Ava, Seymour are great small communities, Rogersville in particular.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:08 PM

87 posts, read 29,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreenOfLane View Post
My daughter is now raising her family on the East side of town, and her very affluent neighborhood is continually swamped by porch thieves and opportunistic thieves taking everything from seasonal décor, lawn equipment, etc.

Yes, we're near the mall area, and my husband's mower and some other lawn equipment were stolen last month. Our garage door is almost always closed -- we close it after we park our cars -- but a hitch came up where we thought we heard the garage door go down in the evening after parking a car, only to find out the next morning that it hadn't, and so someone took that opportunity to sneak in and steal the lawn equipment in the early morning (we have motion detectors in our garage, so we were able to detect when the theft occurred).

That's the only incident we've had. We have lots of home security measures installed and take the usual precautions, like locking all doors, etc. Still, one mistake, and look what can happen...

Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 PM

53 posts, read 24,618 times
Nixa would be a good choice for families in the greater Springfield area but it’s kind of boring...but maybe that’s okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or