U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:58 AM

6,970 posts, read 6,616,464 times

Advertisements

My dad had a sign made for his front door that said: Please, no solicitors and NO Jehovah Witnesses. It worked!

They always used to come to my house when we were eating dinner. I asked them what time their dinner hour was and where they lived, so I could come be obnoxious at their front door, while they were trying to eat. They never came back.

If food is more important than serving a loving Creator, have a tall, flavored malt liquor on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 10:27 AM

7,330 posts, read 17,688,030 times
Serving a loving creator is a good thing to do but most people don't like their day interrupted by unexpected people showing up at the door. That's very annoying, especially when you tell them you're a Christian or you're busy or whatever and they want to linger on. I'm not into small talk and I'm not into false prophets so why would I want to talk about something they are presenting is false. They do not believe Jesus is the son of God and I do so why argue.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:31 AM

7,330 posts, read 17,688,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I wonder if forbidding playing with a catholic is a individual decision rather then religious, I’m southern Baptists and my best friend is catholic and dated a boy in high school who is catholic. I never heard of anyone not allowed to play together or be friends because of religion. My parents were Texans and they loved my friends. I was encouraged to consider marrying in my own faith.
As a kid my parents didn't want that and there were other parents on the block that didn't want that either. I grew up in Colorado. Not sure why they thought that way.
I'm guessing that they didn't want any of us to influence each other in any way.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:00 AM

6,970 posts, read 6,616,464 times
Jehovah's Witnesses not only believe in Jesus Christ but he is central to their beliefs. Jehovah's Witnesses are hated but they have something to share with you that is very, very important, and very, very pertinent. My advice to you: next time they knock on their door ask them why they're knocking on their door.

I guarantee you that you'll learn something very, very important and also very, very pertinent. Or get annoyed and get yourself all in a hussy. Your life, your choice.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:12 AM

1,368 posts, read 671,791 times
Approach cautiously. Springfield has it's good points, but I've been there, in a similar family (half asian, catholic) and I would never ever move back. I wanted out before my kids started school. Nothing is better than adequate...public or private. Diversity is lacking. How many times did people call my husband oriental? Too many to count. How many times was I approached in the Target parking lot by someone wanting to save me. I'm Catholic, I already believe...Catholic you say? You are going to hell...I don't know all this talk of Jehovah's witnesses? I mean, that's not a Springfield thing. They leave pamphlets (in Chinese even, they must do their homework), on our door in STL. But the people in the parking lots, that was a pretty Springfield thing. I will admit though, I am not a conservative...I'm more moderate with a liberal lean on social issues. I was never going to fit in there.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:12 PM

502 posts, read 407,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Approach cautiously. Springfield has it's good points, but I've been there, in a similar family (half asian, catholic) and I would never ever move back. I wanted out before my kids started school. Nothing is better than adequate...public or private. Diversity is lacking. How many times did people call my husband oriental? Too many to count. How many times was I approached in the Target parking lot by someone wanting to save me. I'm Catholic, I already believe...Catholic you say? You are going to hell...I don't know all this talk of Jehovah's witnesses? I mean, that's not a Springfield thing. They leave pamphlets (in Chinese even, they must do their homework), on our door in STL. But the people in the parking lots, that was a pretty Springfield thing. I will admit though, I am not a conservative...I'm more moderate with a liberal lean on social issues. I was never going to fit in there.
What is wrong with being oriental?

Old 12-25-2019, 10:39 PM

1,368 posts, read 671,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
What is wrong with being oriental?
Nothing, if you are a rug. People are not oriental.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:56 PM

502 posts, read 407,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Nothing, if you are a rug. People are not oriental.
Huh? Asia, and usually east Asia, has long been referred to as the Orient. Thus, it has been used to describe a person with an east Asian appearance.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:19 PM

567 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Huh? Asia, and usually east Asia, has long been referred to as the Orient. Thus, it has been used to describe a person with an east Asian appearance.
Somehow like many other words, Oriental has morphed into a politically incorrect term. I don't understand it, but now they prefer to be called Asian I think, although I rarely if ever refer to anyone's heritage, so Asian may be no longer acceptable either.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:27 PM

567 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
Hey all,

My husband has been approached about a job in Springfield and we're trying to get a sense of whether we could be happy there. I want to be careful not to insult anyone's home town so please forgive me if I'm being ignorant.

We currently live outside of Boston but we've only been here 7mths. We don't care for it, too much traffic and commuting and the people are...aggressive. My husband is working 14hr days and we're so over it. We do love the fabulous schools and the pretty towns. Before moving here we lived in Portland (OR), NYC, and Nashville. We have never lived in a small city. We loved Portland and Nashville. We fall on the conservative side of the spectrum but that's conservative coming from Boston and a long time in Portland

We're a biracial family (Asian and white) with kids in high and middle school. We would likely do private Catholic schools as they have always gone to catholic schools. I guess I'm wondering if my kids will be accepted at school? Will we be able to make friends? Will my daughter be able to date or will it matter that she is Asian? Is there an area where newcomers often live? Are there options for a decent meal not at a chain? Good produce and meats? Will my neighbors' ask me what church I attend before they decide to befriend me?

We have a pretty flexible budget for the area so I'd be interested in hearing what neighborhoods might suit us should my husband decide to pursue this opportunity. Also, our son is a seriously competitive rock climber, I see that there is a team in Springfield (yay!) anyone know anything about it? Thanks so much.
Springfield is a wonderful city, but not at all what it used to be. I have lived here a majority of my life, moving here in 1959. It has grown and crime is more of a factor than it used to be. It isn't what I call dangerous, but the stats will show you it is a town not without some violent crime issues.

Here are a couple of links to look at, one is a post i made previously about Missouri and it mentions Springfield, and one a page from the murder map article recently posted by CBS news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...-u-s-cities/6/

//www.city-data.com/forum/sprin...ringfield.html

I think my post is about five down the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or