Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:52 AM

147 posts, read 150,697 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My husband has been approached about a job in Springfield and we're trying to get a sense of whether we could be happy there. I want to be careful not to insult anyone's home town so please forgive me if I'm being ignorant.

We currently live outside of Boston but we've only been here 7mths. We don't care for it, too much traffic and commuting and the people are...aggressive. My husband is working 14hr days and we're so over it. We do love the fabulous schools and the pretty towns. Before moving here we lived in Portland (OR), NYC, and Nashville. We have never lived in a small city. We loved Portland and Nashville. We fall on the conservative side of the spectrum but that's conservative coming from Boston and a long time in Portland

We're a biracial family (Asian and white) with kids in high and middle school. We would likely do private Catholic schools as they have always gone to catholic schools. I guess I'm wondering if my kids will be accepted at school? Will we be able to make friends? Will my daughter be able to date or will it matter that she is Asian? Is there an area where newcomers often live? Are there options for a decent meal not at a chain? Good produce and meats? Will my neighbors' ask me what church I attend before they decide to befriend me?

We have a pretty flexible budget for the area so I'd be interested in hearing what neighborhoods might suit us should my husband decide to pursue this opportunity. Also, our son is a seriously competitive rock climber, I see that there is a team in Springfield (yay!) anyone know anything about it? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 09:41 AM

914 posts, read 2,204,496 times
Of the places you have lived, Nashville will be the closest approximation culturally, topographically, and climatically.

Your's will certainly not be the only mixed race children in school.

There are really good options for meats, including locally produced meats. No one has ever mistaken Springfield for California, but good local produce can be had at farmer's markets about six months a year. There are several competing grocery stores that do a very good job all year considering the distance from California and Florida.

There are a startling number of local restaurants. More that the market can support. Hope springs eternal and someone is always starting a new one.

The odds of being asked what church you attend (or would like to attend) are pretty high.

Newcomers tend to congregate in the Nixa-Ozark-Rogersville belt.

The metro area has nearly doubled in population since 1990, so one can only assume that some do like living here.

Rock climbing is a pretty big sport here. Plenty of rocks to choose from.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:38 AM

147 posts, read 150,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Of the places you have lived, Nashville will be the closest approximation culturally, topographically, and climatically.

Your's will certainly not be the only mixed race children in school.

There are really good options for meats, including locally produced meats. No one has ever mistaken Springfield for California, but good local produce can be had at farmer's markets about six months a year. There are several competing grocery stores that do a very good job all year considering the distance from California and Florida.

There are a startling number of local restaurants. More that the market can support. Hope springs eternal and someone is always starting a new one.

The odds of being asked what church you attend (or would like to attend) are pretty high.

Newcomers tend to congregate in the Nixa-Ozark-Rogersville belt.

The metro area has nearly doubled in population since 1990, so one can only assume that some do like living here.

Rock climbing is a pretty big sport here. Plenty of rocks to choose from.
Thanks Arby! This is really helpful and quite reassuring. I didn't realize the area has grown so quickly. Our major concerns when moving to a new area are just being able to make new friends and have our kids included. We have a lot of general faith in humanity and have never had a problem to date. In fact, the Boston burbs with all of it's "sophistication" has been the least friendly place we've lived but no one's been nasty to us either.

One more question, that I hope is terribly out of date. I lived in the St Louis suburbs for a few years as a kid and I remember that the little girl across the street wasn't allowed to play with me because she was Baptist and I was Catholic. Now, this is 35yrs ago, I assume that kind of thing isn't common? We never encountered it in Nashville.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:43 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
I have been here 10 years. my wife is filipina. I have adopted her daughter. She never had any racial issues here.My wife however has encountered some at her job. I have never been asked "what church do you attend" If I had been asked the answer would be its none of your business. The only problem I have had here is keeping the Jehovah witnesses from knocking on my door,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
You won't be able to stop Jehovah's Witnesses from knocking on your door.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:42 AM

237 posts, read 124,620 times
Arrby gave a good thorough reply. If you liked Nashville, this area probably won't be an issue for you. I grew up in Murfreesboro, and if I had to judge which area is more conservative, I'd say middle Tennessee.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:46 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
I agree with what Arrby says about Nashville. If you like Nashville, this area is alike in a lot of ways.

I've been here almost 3 years and have only been asked 1 time about church and that wasn't from my neighbors but from a business. Jehovah Witnesses are a problem though. Just show up to the door with a beer and they will never come back again. Someone suggested that to me, I did it and it worked.

I was raised Baptist and I too, remember as a kid that the Catholic girl and I were not allowed to play or if a person didn't go to church, we couldn't play with them. Hard to believe times were like that but I don't see that in today's world. People of different religions, races, etc. seem to mix well in today's world.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:11 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
What's gonna come back and hit you with a thoroughly life-ending blow to the head is that Jehovah's Witnesses are right. They are smart, humble and they are serving a loving God. The God of the universe, Jehovah God.

Praise you, Jehovah! Now, go back to your Cheetos, Budweiser and Netflix.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:21 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,002 times
My dad had a sign made for his front door that said: Please, no solicitors and NO Jehovah Witnesses. It worked!

They always used to come to my house when we were eating dinner. I asked them what time their dinner hour was and where they lived, so I could come be obnoxious at their front door, while they were trying to eat. They never came back.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I agree with what Arrby says about Nashville. If you like Nashville, this area is alike in a lot of ways.

I've been here almost 3 years and have only been asked 1 time about church and that wasn't from my neighbors but from a business. Jehovah Witnesses are a problem though. Just show up to the door with a beer and they will never come back again. Someone suggested that to me, I did it and it worked.

I was raised Baptist and I too, remember as a kid that the Catholic girl and I were not allowed to play or if a person didn't go to church, we couldn't play with them. Hard to believe times were like that but I don't see that in today's world. People of different religions, races, etc. seem to mix well in today's world.
I wonder if forbidding playing with a catholic is a individual decision rather then religious, I’m southern Baptists and my best friend is catholic and dated a boy in high school who is catholic. I never heard of anyone not allowed to play together or be friends because of religion. My parents were Texans and they loved my friends. I was encouraged to consider marrying in my own faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area