Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 589 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new here to posting. Have been reading this forum for a while and gleaned quite abit of info, so thank you to those who posted previously.

I’m thinking of moving to the Springfield area within the next 2 years.

Currently living in Oregon and have had enough of the “Left Coast” ideology and high prices. We are being overrun by those from California, the East Coast, and foreign nationals from all over the world given the high tech industry prevalent in the area.

I’m semi -middle-aged female, single, no children, and my parents may consider the move with me.

A few questions I couldn’t quite get an answer for:

How is the job situation? Harder for ‘older’ workers to find something?

The quality of healthcare; Good/bad/indifferent? Expensive?

Does Missouri tax Social Security? I’ve never gotten a straight answer from my searching. Seemed like it was being phased out….?

Flooding; what’s the best areas to avoid it (aside from not living next to a river)

Mobile home parks; is this an acceptable and safe lifestyle? Oregon treats these like the plague (very ‘white trash’) and are eliminating them for the land to build expensive homes.

Things to do/dating for older singles. How’s the dating scene in general? Is the area mostly college kids and younger families?

I’m also planning on taking a preview trip in April 2017 for a few days. Aside from the zoo and the trails, what would be good things to look at? ‘Real’ everyday Springfield; not just the tourist stuff.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:14 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,503 times
Springfield has excellent employment oportunities for older workers - the issue is at what wage level. You may be surprised at how much lower wages are here.

Social Security income tax is being phased out in Missouri in a series of steps. I have lost track, it may even be gone by this year.

Health care is very, very good. About as good as it gets.

Mobile home parks seem to be dying out. I do not know why, unless it is just too cheap and easy to get a few acres to set up your own.

Flood plain maps are available on line, or any realtor will have them.

My wife does not let me date anymore, so I have no data.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,776 times
Pay is terrible in Springfield for the most part. Unless you are in the medical field or own a business, I think it's hard to find a well paying job. Though the cost of living does offset this issue somewhat. Quality of healthcare is fine and there are many options. While mobile home living is more socially acceptable in Missouri than Oregon, I'd rather have a house with a foundation for safety purposes in storms.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,384,031 times
Cool I love it here...

Hi freedombound18...I'm a left coast ex-patriot been in SW MO since 1993. Living here has been a trade-off, but overall has been a good one. You'll miss the grocery stores, although it depends on what size town you're leaving and it's a WHOLE lot better now than when I moved from NoCa.
For job answers, I'd contact an employment agency like Penmac to see what they have to say about your particular field. Wages are lower, as is the cost of living. However, certain fields can do quite nicely if you are interested in starting your own thing.
Health care is just fine. I settled in the Branson/Table Rock Lake area (45 min south of Springfield) and even down here in the sticks we have decent options. Springfield is good to very good, and 4 hours away is world class in St. Louis.
Dating can be frustrating, anywhere! Check out one of the free online sites with your criteria...
I've past the 60 mark, so upper-middle-age...? LOL
In April, you'll want to check out the downtown area of Springfield, it's being revitalized and has some pretty cool art galleries, dining and entertainment options. I also love the University Heights area, just to the east of MSU. Most of the shopping is in the South-East section of SGF, the town is chopped up into 4 quadrants with SE being "best", SW next, and the NW being the most concentration of down-and-out. Just FYI.
I spent my first few years in SGF before I found what I humbly believe to be the best part of SW MO, which is believe-it-or-not the Branson area. Never mind the shows & tourist stuff...you should spend one of your precious days here checking out Table Rock Lake. Have breakfast at The Chateau, dinner at Top of the Rock.
The little house symbol by my name means that I'm a Realtor. I'm happy to answer questions it's not all about selling houses for me.
Keep us posted about your trip!!!
---Lake Junkie

Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,384,031 times
Oh, and for flood plain data anyone can go to fema.gov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area