U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:47 PM

164 posts, read 918,286 times

Advertisements

I hope to be relocating to one of these locations soon. I just got back from a road trip through both locations and I am still undecided.

I like the Branson area as there is so many things to do for entertainment. I enjoyed Table Rock lake, Lake Taneycomo, The Landing, etc

Unfortunately you cannot have a home with a personal boat dock right on Table Rock Lake.

Lake of the Ozarks is more remote on the Camdenton side of the lake (where i will be most likely) with less restaurants and things to do. It appears the weather is colder with more periods of snow and ice also.

However, I can have a home right on the lake with a boat slip.

Having the ability to go boating, skiing, fishing, etc at a moments notice is an important thing for me. This will be my full time residence and I am unsure if NOT having immediate access to my boat should deter me from the Branson area.

Any opinions from anyone located at either place about whether I should fret over immediate water access? Anyone else been to both locations and liked one better than the other?

One other factor is I do have immediate family already at the Lake of the Ozarks and not at Branson.

TIA,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 AM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
I hope to be relocating to one of these locations soon. I just got back from a road trip through both locations and I am still undecided.

I like the Branson area as there is so many things to do for entertainment. I enjoyed Table Rock lake, Lake Taneycomo, The Landing, etc

Unfortunately you cannot have a home with a personal boat dock right on Table Rock Lake.

Lake of the Ozarks is more remote on the Camdenton side of the lake (where i will be most likely) with less restaurants and things to do. It appears the weather is colder with more periods of snow and ice also.

However, I can have a home right on the lake with a boat slip.

Having the ability to go boating, skiing, fishing, etc at a moments notice is an important thing for me. This will be my full time residence and I am unsure if NOT having immediate access to my boat should deter me from the Branson area.

Any opinions from anyone located at either place about whether I should fret over immediate water access? Anyone else been to both locations and liked one better than the other?

One other factor is I do have immediate family already at the Lake of the Ozarks and not at Branson.

TIA,
I assume when you say "right on the lake" you mean that literally. Yes there is a Corps of Engineers take line which is about 300 feet (give or take) all around the perimeter of the lake and you cannot build (or cut trees down) in this take line.

However, you CAN have a boat dock (or boat slip in a dock) on the lake, and you can go THROUGH the government take line to get to it. It's almost like being right on the lake. Most people don't mind the arrangement. Boat slips are very expensive though.... around $20,000 for the privilege of parking your boat ON the water is more than I would want to spend (also, your slip might not be located right by your house, so you would have to drive - most people use golf carts - to your boat).

I really like the area around Warsaw and also around Truman and Stockton lakes too. You might also check out some of the outlying areas around Branson which gives you the benefit of living there (fun!!!) without so much of the negatives (traffic!!!!!). We live about 17 miles from Branson and have the best of both worlds. (We are about 2 miles from the lake, as the crow flies).

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM

164 posts, read 918,286 times
Thanks for the input. I guess Im just looking for something that will make the choice easier whether to chose Table Rock Branson area versus Lake of the Ozarks Camdenton area.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 28,147 times
The boat dock issue can be a big decision. I live on Lake of the Ozarks and really enjoy walking out my door and a few steps down to the dock. Just sitting on the dock in the evenings is worth it but if I want to go fishing or take the boat out to one of the many lakefront restaurants it is great. There is no point being by the lake when you can be on the lake.

I find that the weather is not much different here than southern Missouri. I find that we do not have all of the major storm that they have there. They seem to split and go north or south of the lake.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post

TIA,
I guess one question is DO YOU or DO YOU NOT want to be that close to immediate family? If you have water toys and a dock on the lake, guess who will be at your house all summer?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,145 posts, read 8,094,259 times
OK but what lake had the better fishing???
Table Rock, Lake of the Ozarks, Bull Shoals, any other contenders???

Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 AM

15,972 posts, read 8,525,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
OK but what lake had the better fishing???
Table Rock, Lake of the Ozarks, Bull Shoals, any other contenders???
We don't reveal our secrets....

Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,204,040 times
Proof positive that BassMan will just have to fish at all of these lakes and find out for himself! Maybe a three-way tie.....

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,145 posts, read 8,094,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
We don't reveal our secrets....
Well, I've found Bass to pretty much be bass everywhere I've fished. They bit at Beaver Lake, Arkansas just like Clear Lake, California. Ya just have to know what the fishies need at a certain water temp, and sooner or later you'll stumble across em.....ain't met one yet that could resist a Yamamoto Senko pitched infront of her face....

Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
One other thought. You can have your dock and house right on the water on Lake Taneycomo. It's a good lake for fishing and boating but forget about swimming or water skiing. Honestly, given the choice I think I would prefer Taneycomo myself. I have a friend who has a house right on the water and loves it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area