Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,951 times

Advertisements

MoMark is right. I would be more concerned about earthquakes then I ever would about tornadoes. Tornadoes leave a small area harmed while earthquakes can, well we see about what happened in Pakistan for example. Earthquakes can devastate a whole country. My dad's friend lives right in tornado alley, Oklahoma and he built a concrete home so literally all his home is a shelter but he has yet to see one and he has lived there for 10 years. I would buy a home that had a storm shelter though or put a shelter in. I would also have insurance. And yes, MoMark is also right, I'd MUCH rather live in SW Missouri then in upper Missouri. It is COLD in the winter. SW Missouri has a much milder winter then they do. Also I'd feel safer from tornadoes in SW Missouri then I would in the upper part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 23,750 times
Default Tornados

Thank you so much for your help! I will look those areas up also!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbeth
I'm in the same boat, just can't afford a move right now. But it never hurts to dream. =)
Were doing more then dreaming we are planning it for when the wife gets out of school and her youngest is 18. Just a few years now. Starting to put away for the move looking up homes. if we find some thing we can swing now we may go ahead and get it then rent it out for a bit .every thing others have said about northern Missouri have also show in researches I have done . But then again how bad it is depends were your coming from.
Take calif for example. Live in the Truckee area they do not talk about inches for snow but feet. It is normal to have 20 to 30 feet on the ground at times there all winter. Fresno cold is 20 but hot is over a 100 some thing like 110 is normal and you will get months of over 100 all summer with no rain of any kind. So how you look at things really depends on were ya coming from. As for the wife and I. I have lived in North Dakota, Idaho, and calif. She has lived in New York, Texas, Calif. So we both know what cold snow and hot are along with humidity

Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 PM

57 posts, read 204,764 times
Smile Just a couple more Springfield questions

MoMark,

You seem to have a real handle on the moving from the desert to MO thing down. I'm LEAVING Phoenix in the next few months to relocate in MO. Just haven't found the exact place I'm looking for yet. I've read a lot of your comments and you really seem to LOVE - the Springfield area. I was looking at northern MO but thought I might not be able to handle extended periods of snow. I LOVE snow - I'm not sure about driving on ICE. This scares me a bit. I'm looking for a quiet area that's down home, simple, with the regular necessities like grocery store, medical facilities etc. Just the normal stuff. Does it snow a lot around there, are the accesses to facilities pretty easy etc.. I'll be moving all by myself so I kinda need a place that has what I might need fairly close - JUST IN CASE! Thanks for the info. I would like a nice little managable place but hey if there were about 1/2 an acre involved that would be good too.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
Default To GayleinAZ

I do love it Gayle ! I didn't make my leap without a lot of forethought and planning, believe me. I sometimes miss Las Vegas (Henderson to be more precise) because the wide open desert vistas and clean dry air were wonderful too, and, whatever others may think, the desert areas are gorgeous and quite pleasant to live in with modern conveniences. However, I was ready for the big change. I'm also single and had to think over many of the things you mention above. As for snow..I like a bit too, but not feet of it at a time. I don't want to be stranded, but I like a beautiful snowy day with big flakes and the beauty of it all. Southwest Missouri tends to have milder winters than the northern part of the state, but the winters have been "warm" here relative to past winters lately so I'm told. I know that the movers brought my furniture from Las Vegas on Jan. 20th this year and it was 55F outside after a frigid December. Then February went back to ice-box conditions with a few inches of snow and bitter cold, but it lasted only about two weeks or less before moderating. My neighbor makes his living maintaining lawns for commercial and private residential customers, then in the winter by ploughing snow. He says the last two years have been bad for snow ploughing, and this last winter not even one time was needed. I've been told other winters are bitter cold with quite a bit of snow and zero temps. I guess I'll find out! The only weather event that the locals here fear are ice storms because they are truly disruptive and dangerous for any type of road travel and cause lots of damage to trees and power lines. They can paralyze Springfield for a week if they're bad. But, I'm told they are rare. I like winter and Fall, and Fall here is spectacular, just as colorful as the pics one sees of New England in Autumn. Spring is cool, and summer is humid and hot with lots of thunderstorms, but it's generally cool at night. I just like it very much! As for proximity to conveniences, Springfield has great hospitals and medical care, an airport that's not big, but has flights that go through Detroit, Dallas, St. Louis, and Memphis that then go everywhere. You've heard about the "Housing Bubble" everywhere, with Phoenix being one of the poster children of a bloated market, but this area here is considered 6% undervalued...it's a great bargain actually. And homes on small acreage are relatively inexpensive and numerous. The best way to get a feel for it is to come out and take a weekend with a rented car, contact a realtor, and look around! Good luck!

Old 06-25-2006, 03:58 PM

57 posts, read 204,764 times
Smile I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!!

That's it - I'm sold..... WHERE do I sign on the dotted line?

Thank you. You're right.. being single throws a monkey wrench into the works occasionally. Just because you have no immediate 'back up'. But if the folks are as friendly in Springfield as they are in St. Joe's well what the heck - I'll throw a BIG open house and get to know the neighbors!

I'm pretty sure my neighbors here wouldn't throw me a life preserver if I was drowning! BUT - I digress.

Yup - heard about the BUBBLE and now I'm hearing about the FORECLOSURES! Oh well if you don't live within your means - it will catch up with you eventually.

Thanks again for the heads up. I'll be in MO the week of the 4th.. so I'll try and get to Springfield and check it out.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
Default Gayle

The most direct route from Kansas City to Springfield is via 13, which is easily visible on maps and atlases of Missouri. It's not really that far a drive either, as I drove it to KC in Jan. to pick up a piece of furniture. I think it's about 150 miles or so...though don't hold me to that as an exact mileage distance! Seems to me the easiest way to go about it is to rent a car in KC and then swing on down, it's a direct route. Once you get into Springfield, 13 becomes Kansas Expressway, one of the more important north/south routes through Springfield, and you can stay on it all the way south through town until you get to James River Freeway, where once you cross over the freeway, you can take the eastward onramp (left side of the road) and take the National Exit a few miles to the east. There is an Extended Stay America there where I stayed off Kingsley Street (make a left at the McDonalds there and it's the second hotel/complex on the left). It just seemed like a convenient place to branch out from as it's close to the east/west access routes, as well as 165 which goes north/south, all the way to Branson. At least you'd have a good idea of which part of the state you'd like to call home after having seen more of it. You could also stay at my house if you like, which is off 13 about 6 miles north of the Springfield city limits and use my home as a base for looking around. I have lots of free time right now as I took 1 year off ! I also didn't get any email from you if you sent it. It didn't show up in my inbox here, though I did make my email available. I don't know what the deal is. Keep up the optimism!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 AM

14 posts, read 47,689 times
That's good you're making plans huntman. We too have made the final decision to take the plunge. We've got alot of work to do on our home before selling, but are planning to sell within the next year. Since my husband will be working in Springfield, we'll be renting in town until we find just the right place to settle in. I'm thinking possibly north of town or anywhere that is country but close enough so his commute won't be bad.

Thanks to everyone who's given me feedback, especially to MoMark who reminded me just what a joy it was to live in Missouri. (I'm originally from the Kansas City area) I certainly look forward to returning to my home state.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM

14 posts, read 64,448 times
I live in the Mt Vernon, MO and it's WONDERFUL! Of course I grew up here. I did move away for 18 years, though. (Dallas/Ft Worth and Southern CA) So I can tell you that moving back here was a great decision! It's still a relatively SAFE environment in which to raise kids and retire! Mt Vernon has wonderful schools, great community, affordable housing, etc... We are right off I-44 between Springfield and Joplin. (30 m to Spfd and about 38/40 to Joplin) My DH works in Spfd, as do many residents of our community. There is a lot of community pride in our town of 4,000 people. People work together on projects and actually care about each other.
We live on approx 6 acres north of town in a 2000 sq ft home. It has appreciated considerably since we bought it 9 years ago. You can still buy nice homes here for under 100k. There are also many fabulous luxury homes here, too. Priced accordingly. We also have a small farm on 20 acres that we will be selling before long.
The downside of living here is the shopping dilema. We have 2 grocery stores, a Dollar General, Family Dollar and a Pamida Store. (discount store) Not even a Walmart here, which can be a good thing, I guess. The 3 Walmarts in our area are Aurora, Republic and Monett - all approx the same distance. I do my shopping in Springfield, but even in many cities it takes 30mins to get to a shopping destination because of traffic. That is no problem for me.
We have a great number of physicians and the Mo Rehabilitaion Center. We use Spfd hospitals at 30-40 min drive away. We also have a Missouri Veterans Home and clinic here.
Mt Vernon is known for it's fall festival, Apple Butter Makin Days, where the whole town gets involved and people come from all over the US. Apple butter is made on the Courthouse Square. (Beautiful antique limestone building) Mt Vernon is the County Seat for Lawrence County.

Questions, ask me more.... This truly is a wonderful little city! Do a search on zip 65712.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbeth
That's good you're making plans huntman. We too have made the final decision to take the plunge. We've got alot of work to do on our home before selling, but are planning to sell within the next year. Since my husband will be working in Springfield, we'll be renting in town until we find just the right place to settle in. I'm thinking possibly north of town or anywhere that is country but close enough so his commute won't be bad.

Thanks to everyone who's given me feedback, especially to MoMark who reminded me just what a joy it was to live in Missouri. (I'm originally from the Kansas City area) I certainly look forward to returning to my home state.
Well if we win the lotto we will be there sooner then planned. We also plan on renting for a bit and looking around for the home of all homes. Just can not wait and the wait is killing us but some things have to be finished first or a large chuck of money be left to us before we can go when we get there we will not be unknowing that’s for sure research research not much let to even research at this point we done made up our minds and home will be Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area