U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 54,371 times

Advertisements

I have a question about this place....First let me start by saying please don't take this the wrong way for those that live there.

The place is wonderful as far as the scenery goes.

My wife and I have always seen Saddlebrooke while going to Branson and decided to take a drive to see what it was about while our little one slept.

The sheer beauty of the place is breath taking but we're curious about how things are run in the community.

It is a city so we wonder how decisions are made etc. Is there a mayor, sheriff?

Who does the firefighting?

We noticed all the roads had off the wall speed limits like 21, 33, and 29MPH and just thought it a little odd.

Does one person have this power to hand out tickets etc.

We just got the creepy feeling driving through there and wanted to see if someone could clarify some of it for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,059,867 times
Wink Not too creepy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post
I have a question about this place....First let me start by saying please don't take this the wrong way for those that live there.

My wife and I have always seen Saddlebrooke while going to Branson and decided to take a drive to see what it was about while our little one slept.

The sheer beauty of the place is breath taking but we're curious about how things are run in the community.

It is a city so we wonder how decisions are made etc. Is there a mayor, sheriff?

We noticed all the roads had off the wall speed limits like 21, 33, and 29MPH and just thought it a little odd.

We just got the creepy feeling driving through there and wanted to see if someone could clarify some of it for us.
There are a couple of people on here who live in/near Saddlebrooke, so I'll let them answer most of this, but I drive in there a lot and always thought the speed limit thing was kinda cute. As for whether the speed limits are enforced, I hope not! 'Cause I've blown past 21 mph a couple of times. Shhhhhhh.

It seems like a really close knit, friendly community. They had a picnic & fireworks for the 4th...and when someone in the neighborhood has a problem, they all come out & help. They were originally intending Saddlebrooke to be a "horse-friendly" subdivision, but that kinda went by the way side although there are some stables & riding trails.

It is really nice.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM

13 posts, read 54,371 times
I'm sure that's just the case....You never know on things....if it's just for show then that brings a whole different outlook but after seeing that we started to wonder.

We've probably just seen too many wickerman type movies lol

Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,147 times
I own a lot with the intention of retiring in S. B. sooner than later. The odd speed limits are probably posted to catch driver's attention, nothing else. It is similar to the odd fines that you see posted on the freeways in Los Angeles. $271 fine for driving in the carpool lane without a "carpool dummy".
The folks that are developing S.B. are quite nice, and I don't believe they play sheriff at all. The covenants and restrictions for owners are quite limited in scope compared to most. In fact, they pale in comparison. Beautiful country, pleasant dreams.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:09 PM

880 posts, read 2,711,577 times
Default Saddlebrooke...the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

Hi...perhaps I can shed some light being a "Citizen of Saddlebrooke".

Saddlebrooke was incorporated as a city at the suggestion of Christian County to save everyone involved both time and money. It's actually a master planned community using the same services of any place else in the county. As a city, however, the developer can make decisions about roads, lights, sewer, etc.. without going thru the county which was just a waste of time as the Lorance Corp. was/is doing things WAY above what the county requires. Hence, the county made the suggestion that Saddlebrooke incorporate as a city.

No sherrif, mayor, alderman, etc. The developer makes the decisions just like any other development. The community uses the services of the Christian county sheriff. White River Environmental runs the private water/sewer system which we pay for thru association fees. The Highlandville Volunteer Fire Dept. would take care of any fires should they occur.

The speed limit signs are to get your attention. And they seem to work... No tickets, no traffic monitors...just a very nice master planned community with a great group of caring friendly people.

The development feels more like a community development than anything else. There are community events (picnic's, BBQ, chilicookoff, Holloween events) for both the family and for the kids. People here seem to work in Springfield or Branson for the most part. There are some retired people and a few "vacation" homes (future retirement). I think there are about 80 houses here now and more being built all of the time. Saddlebrooke is on both sides of Hiway 65 and is built with several "neighborhoods"...The Highlands is off hiway 176 and The Terrace off BB. The rest of the neighborhoods are on the eastern side of 65 as you come into the main entrance.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 07-12-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,223 times
HI- My husband and I are interested in this area and wondering about the opportunities locally for employment in health care.My husband is in emergency room work/EMT-I, and I am getting into CNA. Any direction for us as to facility names or whatever would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,961,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsbabe View Post
HI- My husband and I are interested in this area and wondering about the opportunities locally for employment in health care.My husband is in emergency room work/EMT-I, and I am getting into CNA. Any direction for us as to facility names or whatever would be appreciated! Thanks.
Skaggs Hospital in Branson would be the closest to Saddlebrooke. Otherwise, you could drive up to Springfield and look at Cox or St. John's.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 AM

15,861 posts, read 32,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Can anyone give me any insight into Saddlebrooke, MO, please? It's basically a housing development located off of US65 between Springfield and Branson.

I've been to their website ( The Communities of Saddlebrooke, MO | A master planned community ) and it's given me some info, but it has also revealed something that I've never heard about. I called the company and was told that Saddlebrooke has been "incorporated." That means to me that it is a city or town, with a mayor, city council, city laws, city taxes, etc. Everything that makes an incorporated governmental entity.

That doesn't appear to be the case with Saddlebrooke. The person I spoke to said that they do not have any of the above items. He said that they "incorporated" just so they could do their own zoning, instead of dealing with it through the county. There was no other motivation.

That sounds strange to me. I never heard of such a thing. Is it common in Missouri, to incorporate but not have a city, taxing authority, tec., or is there an issue other than zoning involved? It also raises questions of accountability, responsibility, and oversight, depending on who's in charge of the incorporated entity.

As you can probably tell, something isn't quite sitting right with me. You may have heard the saying that, "Just becasue you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't following you." Well, that's why I'm asking you folks. Am I unreasonably paranoid or is something amiss?

Thanks
Be afraid. Be very afraid. Even though they may not be interested in governing anything except zoning at this time, that is not to say that sometime in the future they might not decide to govern every possible aspect of life at Saddlebrook. Including *your* property rights. Make no mistake, an incorporated "villiage" or "town" has an enormous amount of authority and can make laws, ordinances, etc., that are MORE STRICT than state laws and ordinances regarding how you use your property. They can impose taxes, fees, fines, assessments, etc. If you purchase there you are opening yourself up to potentially paying a LOT of money down the road and having your property rights manipulated or altered.

If it were me, I'd look elsewhere. Someplace without the control of a governing body. But that's me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM

321 posts, read 777,448 times
Saddlebrooke is owned by one man, Clyde Lorance(and his wife). He has over 4500 acres, and all of the land on the eastern side borders the national forest. He is not only a developer, but a land owner, and one of the nicest people you would ever meet. He incorporated Saddlebrooke so that they could have their own zip code, so that it is it's own place, it's own rights, and it's own zoning jurisdiction. It is a fabulously planned community and there is always a great location to build on. I do quite a bit of business with Saddlebrooke and while it may seem strange to some that are unfamiliar with why someone would do this, to those of us that do understand, it's a welcomed sight what Saddlebrooke has accomplished. I would never be concerned with the fact that Saddlebrooke controls it's own zoning, in fact, it's better that way, so you don't have the county governing body telling you what you have to do or what you have to pay. A lot of time, money, and dedication have been sacrificed to make Saddlebrooke a great community, and Clyde has gone above and beyond the call to ensure all I's have been dotted, and all T's have been crossed. I would be more worried about what color brick to use on my my new home than whether or not Saddlebrooke is out to rip off it's residents.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 20,424 times
Hi, my name is Tyler Lorance and I work for Saddlebrooke. If anyone has any questions about our development I would be happy to answer them.

As to the last post, there are numerous health care facilities in the area. St John's and Cox Hospitals are the largest facilities in Springfield and Skaggs Community Health Center is the largest in Branson. There are also many smaller clinics as well as doctors in private practice. I'm sure demand is high because health care is one of the larger industries in our area.

If anyone else has any questions just ask and I will be happy to help.

I know that there are a lot of evil developers in the world that would like nothing more than to be able to control every little aspect of your life, but that is not why we incorporated. Why would we do anything to harm the value of your property when we are the largest property owner?

As to governance, we are holding our first elections this year and we have five residents running for the five alderman seats. The village of Saddlebrooke will be governed by the residents, not the developer. If you can find a town that does not have a "governing body" I would love to know who runs it.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-16-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area