Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Young professional female moving back to Springfield after 13 years away, seeking advice how to fit in, meet new people, readjust to hometown, ideas how to meet new people

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,450 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I grew up in Springfield and moved away after college. I have spent the last 13 years moving for my job - mainly large communities. I just accepted a new position in Springfield but am worried about how to meet people and how to adapt to Springfield again. I am a single professional female moving back in September for a great job opportunity and to be closer to my family. I never thought I would be doing this but here I am. Any help or ideas on how to meet people would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM

23 posts, read 91,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2spfldSept View Post
Hi All,

I grew up in Springfield and moved away after college. I have spent the last 13 years moving for my job - mainly large communities. I just accepted a new position in Springfield but am worried about how to meet people and how to adapt to Springfield again. I am a single professional female moving back in September for a great job opportunity and to be closer to my family. I never thought I would be doing this but here I am. Any help or ideas on how to meet people would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Well, Springfield isn't the same as it was 13 years ago. That may be a good thing or a not so good thing depending on what you are comfortable with and expecting. The area has exponentially increased in population and urban sprawl is the name of the game all over the Ozarks. I remember that country drive from Nixa to Springfield which now is mostly housing and strip malls. I would say that the biggest blight on the area is the lack of the traditional Ozarkers who made the place famous and nostalic to begin with. Lots of those people have been displaced by all the developments and if you do see some traditionalist acting out at Silver Dollar City and elswhere its usually some person from New York. Theres still lots of good stuff here but if you long for the feel of the old days you may be disappointed.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Yep, I remember Springfield 13 years ago. There were tons of nice "adult drinking establishments" where you could go and dance the night away and have a wonderful time, maybe even meet some nice fellow. Not any more. All the old haunts are gone, I'm afraid thanks to over-zealous drinking and driving laws that have all but killed the night-life anywhere except the "revitalized" downtown area. (Which is not where I want to be after dark despite the efforts to market it as the uber-trendy part of town).

Depending on your personal interests, there are clubs and such. There is volunteering (the zoo, the animal shelter, other organizations by the dozens), and there is work, of course which is where most people find their romantic partners statistically.

All of which makes me very happy that I am no longer single.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Cool Loved Springfield.

Quote:
Hi All,

new2...welcome back...and welcome to the C-D forum family!

I spent about 8 years as a single professional woman in Springfield, and developed a great group of friends...had a lot of fun!

It really depends on your lifestyle...(!)

If you enjoy going out, and appreciate adult beverages, there are nifty places tucked in here and there that might suit you. The drinking and driving thing IS an important issue, so taxi rides have become the norm for those long drawn out evenings. Look in the friday News Leader for the "Weekend" section...

If you enjoy church, there are a number of nice large congregations that have "adult single" groups, like Schweitzer Methodist on Sunshine near Southern Hills Shopping Center.

You might also join the Chamber of Commerce...even volunteering to help with the monthly "mixers"...I met a number of very nice adults in that group.

You can also use THIS forum to start a social group...there actually is one that is a once-a-month coffee group that welcomes new people with an interest in making new friends. Join us there!

I loved my years in Springfield...and only moved a bit south because of all the gas I was burning getting down to the lake.

I personally think the changes in Springfield are mostly wonderful, esp the food changes. When I moved there 15 years ago, there were some gaps in the array of restaurants, and also we (coming from a different culture......) had trouble finding certain grocery items. It's so much better now.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Tucker View Post
Well, Springfield isn't the same as it was 13 years ago. That may be a good thing or a not so good thing depending on what you are comfortable with and expecting. The area has exponentially increased in population and urban sprawl is the name of the game all over the Ozarks. I remember that country drive from Nixa to Springfield which now is mostly housing and strip malls. I would say that the biggest blight on the area is the lack of the traditional Ozarkers who made the place famous and nostalic to begin with. Lots of those people have been displaced by all the developments and if you do see some traditionalist acting out at Silver Dollar City and elswhere its usually some person from New York. Theres still lots of good stuff here but if you long for the feel of the old days you may be disappointed.
This makes me sick! We only get to Springfield two or three times a year, but I love that town. I guess people won't stop flooding in until they ruin it completely.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Wink Floods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
This makes me sick! We only get to Springfield two or three times a year, but I love that town. I guess people won't stop flooding in until they ruin it completely.
I don't know that I think it's all that bad, Silvermouse...although when we displaced leftcoasters find a good place to nest, we have a bad habit of telling others about it......sorry.

I know the area is different than it used to be, but I still find lots of charm & great happy locals. The changes in SDC are another story...even from 15 years ago there's been a noticable decrease in authenticity.

As far as people flooding in...shall we erect a dam at the MO border?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I don't know that I think it's all that bad, Silvermouse...although when we displaced leftcoasters find a good place to nest, we have a bad habit of telling others about it......sorry.

I know the area is different than it used to be, but I still find lots of charm & great happy locals. The changes in SDC are another story...even from 15 years ago there's been a noticable decrease in authenticity.

As far as people flooding in...shall we erect a dam at the MO border?

Sadly, SDC has become just another tourist trap. I don't think we should "erect a dam" at the border but I saw that during the "boom years" of Branson and the area in general, lots of the locals who couldn't keep up with the pace of progress got marginalized. I knew of many who moved from Branson over to Forsyth, or took off for Arkansas. Lots more who stayed lost their cultural underpinnings and became indistinguishable from the masses. The trend I saw was a difference between the climate and allure created by the country hillfolk and the prospect of newcomers living in close proximity to those same people.
The Ozarks is changing no doubt about it and in some ways I think it is good. For one eventually I would like to see the local economy improve so that there wouldn't be such a great divide between the wealthy and the impoverished (yes, there are quite a few less than fortunate families in the Ozarks. Hop on over to the Ozarks Food Bank website and check it out). I would like to see more unions(or at least better ones than exist now) so that people who work in the menial jobs and who maybe lack the ability or the means to improve their education can make enough money to live happily. But in turn that will mean that the cost of living will eventually go up as well and then that could stem the tide of people moving here for a reduction in living expenses.
Call me a cynic if you will but as a longtime resident I honestly feel that other than buying a house and contributing to the medical mile, the influx of non natives to the area have contributed little more than urban sprawl.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:17 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Default One of those "NYers"

Hi everyone,

Was reading another thread and thought this was interesting.

An ancient Indian proverb

Once a grandmother sat down with her grandchild and told the story of the two wolves. She said "My Child know that we each have two hungry wolves that live within us. One stands for peace, love, acceptance, beauty and all that is good. The other stands for hatred, anger, resentment, bitterness and all that is bad. Only one wolf can prevail" The child looked up with question in her eyes, then replied. "But grandmother how do we know which wolf will prevail?" The wise woman said "The one that prevails is the one you feed."

Also, there was another indian proverb, but I will paraphrase it, as I couldn't find the exact quote: We don't inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow the land from our children.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Cool :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

Once a grandmother sat down with her grandchild and told the story of the two wolves. She said "My Child know that we each have two hungry wolves that live within us. One stands for peace, love, acceptance, beauty and all that is good. The other stands for hatred, anger, resentment, bitterness and all that is bad. Only one wolf can prevail" The child looked up with question in her eyes, then replied. "But grandmother how do we know which wolf will prevail?" The wise woman said "The one that prevails is the one you feed."

Also, there was another indian proverb, but I will paraphrase it, as I couldn't find the exact quote: We don't inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow the land from our children.
Good thoughts.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area