Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,993,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
MoMark,
You and I have the same Duncan Phyfe dining room set. In fact, I'm looking for a couple of those lute-backed chairs - just in case you happen to come across any for sale.
LOL! I used to think they were rare! I picked mine up at a consignment store in California in 1998 for $995 and thought I was unique! I love the style and the sideboard, though not a Duncan & Pfyffe, is mahogany and matches beautifully and I picked that up for a song on an Ebay sale from a guy up in Clinton who had it in his barn!
I don't know where you'd find the chairs. I just had one of mine repaired that had been damaged by the movers when I moved from Las Vegas to Missouri. I must say though...I really like the dining set though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 PM

339 posts, read 1,425,804 times
I have to brag, I bought mine with matching sideboard but only 4 chairs for around $300 at an estate auction. The top of the table does need to be refinished however, so it wasn't a complete steal.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,993,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
I have to brag, I bought mine with matching sideboard but only 4 chairs for around $300 at an estate auction. The top of the table does need to be refinished however, so it wasn't a complete steal.
That was a deal though. Especially with the matching sideboard. I thought I was the price pro here...I paid $300 for my sideboard!
I'll bet if you put that chair design into google or ebay search engines, you'll come up with links where you might acquire them. Although the upholstery on the chairs won't match, that is something that can be rectified later.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 PM

393 posts, read 1,737,733 times
Wink housing deals

Went to a real estate auction today folks. 3/2/2 in Nixa, (just south of Springfield) 7 years old, nicely kept up, nice looking. Nice appearance to neighborhood. Sold for $97,000. Couldn't believe it. Just wanted to throw something positive out there for those looking in.
And MoMark, I do understand about the special recorded deeds to land locked property, but believe me, not all are so cut and dry. Some we looked at really were nothing more than a gentlemen's agreement and a handshake many years ago. They believe in the "that's the way it's always been" school of thought. No proper recording of anything. And of course an inspector is appropriate for any house, old or new. We got the brand new one inspected prior to purchase. The interior flooding I was referring to happened before the ice storms. It was due to lack of fixing leaks before they became huge problems. What I have already written about is just the tip of the iceberg of what is available out there right now in my price range. These were once proud and beautiful homes. What we saw was from pure neglect. Plain and simple. I actually felt sad looking around some of them (most were vacant). They needed to be stripped to the studs to fix them properly. It was way more than cosmetic fixing needed on them. Very sad. I am not kidding when I tell you how many places we looked at. Even more if you count the ones we drove by and decided not to even go inside. But, again, we did limit our search to a select section of the city. There are nice places out there folks, it just didn't work out in our situation. So now plan B is working just fine. New house, less character, but suits us for now.....

Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,948,487 times
Hey everyone, this place sounds like a gold mine! PIck up a fixer for the right price, spend a little sweat equity, flip it or rent it out for longer term benefits. It sounds like a good retirement hobby depending on the rental market, rates, and if the house can be bought right. It's the local market that I have to work on understanding now.

BTW MoMark, Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as correcting you. That term (Mello Roos) just surprised me and almost gave me a heart attack. Thanks for explaining it . . . now all I have to do is remember where I placed my bottle of nitroglycerin.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM

76 posts, read 395,015 times
I hadn't thought about woodpeckers before. I knew about termites and wood but now I am leary about even looking at log homes especially since I want to be out in the country. I was definitely planning on looking for a house with less trees as well. These postings are really helpful. Also, I have heard about easements but what happens if you puchased a house on some acreage that didn't have any easements, would they be able to all of the sudden require you to give leeway to a neighbor? I'm not sure how that works.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 AM

100 posts, read 494,655 times
Woodpeckers are a pain here. I have a redwood sided house, and had a real problem for a while. I finally got one of those plastic owls, which seemed to do the trick, as well as being a very attractive feature for my home

As far as easements go, every home is going to have at least a 10 foot side setback and a 25 foot front, for the utilities. We haven't seen very many "Zero lot Lines" homes yet. Those are homes with all utilities in front or back, and no side easements. You can also get out of the shower, and hand your neighbor a towel through your bathroom window

Be careful on the flipping of homes. First of all, lenders are making it very difficult unless you are using a lot of your own money. Most No and LOW downpayment mortgages require that you live in the home as a primary residence, or that you keep the home a certain time period before selling without penalty. Those rules are set specifically to discourage investors from using those programs.

Also, there is a major player in the investment market right now - a company caled Homevestors, that buys and resells fixer-uppers on a huge scale.

It makes it tough on a Realtor like me when working with investors. Almost makes me want to start working at McDonalds like the rest of the people in my profession

Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,944,706 times
Sunshine_girl, sounds like a great deal on that 3/2/2 in Nixa. I don't know if this was a factor, but I'd imagine that at least SOME Nixa real estate suffered a bit due to the huge sinkhole there this year. I read that this one was unusually large and very uncommon, but still I'd think people probably will want to stay a respectable distance from it. Since I plan to live in Springfield, I printed out the Springfield sinkhole map that they had in PDF on the News-Leader site and I plan to refer to it when I start my home search. After living in New Orleans, where subsidence is a huge problem and the best housing foundations are built on pilings sunk extremely deep, I think it would be really cool to get a house built on solid land.

I don't know anything about easements, except that easement complications sound like a pain! LOL I probably won't have to deal with easement problems since all I want is regular house on a regular city lot.

Sunshine_girl, I can "feel your pain" when you saw those beautiful older homes that are now deteriorating. It's sad. But here's a cheerful story for you. My grandparents were Springfield natives who lived in the area all their lives, though they are long dead and I no longer have relatives there. Anyway, my grandfather was totally blind and so they only had a modest (four rooms) 1890's home on N. Clay, in northern Springfield near Drury. I drove by their house last year for the first time in 50 years, and I was SO pleased. The new owners have fixed it up, painted it an attractive combination of light green colors, have done repairs, put on a new roof, and from the outside it looks absolutely wonderful - - 1000% better than it did 50 years ago. It's nice to know that at least some of the older homes are being cared for.

Garth, I'd think the biggest problem with your flipping idea is that houses in Springfield seem to stay on the market for a long, LONG time! Meanwhile the flipper is paying a mortgage (ugh). I have no idea about the rental market; maybe that would work.

C3Bunny, I'm probably going to buy a brick house. That should frustrate those doggone woodpeckers! LOL

Randy, that was an interesting tidbit about Homevestors... thanks! I had never heard of them.

By the way - - exciting news! I'm not sure, but it looks like I may be able to spend a few days in Springfield over Mardi Gras, maybe February 17-20th. I sure hope this works out. We were there over Thanksgiving, but it wasn't very cold and I should probably experience the cold at least once before moving there.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-06-2007 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,737,733 times
Wink They're out there

NOLA thanks for sharing that upbeat story! I needed that! There was a great article in last Sunday's paper about a lovely couple who bought an older house and fixed it up and they took some nice photos of the place. It was really, really, nicely done. There seems to be a photo shoot of some wonderful houses in the area in each Sunday paper. I think it's a series of some sort, but they are all wonderful. I'm sure they all put lots of work and money into it, but it all seems to be a labor of love. There are many more nice homes here than not. I did not intend to paint the picture of a depressed area. It is actually quite the opposite. Lots of new businesses, new houses, old houses being fixed up, lots of folks like ourselves coming into the area, and it appears to be a stable job market here. But I must say, the local business paper seems to be a bit more informative than the daily paper, so you all might want to check that out. It's the springfield business journal and you can look at it online. It does not have classified ads, you need to look elsewhere for those. The daily paper leaves quite a bit to be desired IMO, it's just surface information, nothing investigative or deep, or even very informative. To look up real estate, look on the site MoMark posted in a previous posting at springfieldmomls.com. On there you can see how long they've been on the market also. It's a good one......

Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,944,706 times
Sunshine_girl, thanks a LOT for the tip about the online Springfield Business Journal! I found the link to it:

http://www.sbj.net/

and it looks like a very useful resource. I have to agree about the online News-Leader - - it doesn't have as much information as I had hoped for. I have been looking at (and drooling over) the mls listings in Springfield, and looking at the photos, frequently.

The articles about older homes that have been fixed up does sound encouraging too, though I realize there are others that are deteriorating and that has to be discouraging to househunters. I adore the character and detail in homes built before 1940, especially those built around 1890-1930, but I have reluctantly decided that such a home is not for me. Even on the MLS, I can see that some of the beautiful older homes need more TLC than I can give them. For some reason, while thinking about that I thought about my grandparents' home and I am so glad it has been kept up.

I just found out we can't go to Springfield over Mardi Gras - - Frank can't get away from work that week. But we'll get back there later on this year, I'm sure. And in about 3 years, we can move there for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area