Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Sunshine_girl, thanks a LOT for the tip about the online Springfield Business Journal! I found the link to it:

http://www.sbj.net/

and it looks like a very useful resource. I have to agree about the online News-Leader - - it doesn't have as much information as I had hoped for. I have been looking at (and drooling over) the mls listings in Springfield, and looking at the photos, frequently.

The articles about older homes that have been fixed up does sound encouraging too, though I realize there are others that are deteriorating and that has to be discouraging to househunters. I adore the character and detail in homes built before 1940, especially those built around 1890-1930, but I have reluctantly decided that such a home is not for me. Even on the MLS, I can see that some of the beautiful older homes need more TLC than I can give them. For some reason, while thinking about that I thought about my grandparents' home and I am so glad it has been kept up.

I just found out we can't go to Springfield over Mardi Gras - - Frank can't get away from work that week. But we'll get back there later on this year, I'm sure. And in about 3 years, we can move there for good.
Maybe remaining in New Orleans for three more years is a blessing in disguise NOLA2SGF. With half the population gone and the city on its knees still, it may be a wonderful time to buy in a city that can't be considered part of the real estate bubble inflating and bursting currently around the nation. Once New Orleans begins to take off...and no one really knows when that will be, but once it does, housing prices will probably explode once businesses and people begin flocking back. It might be one of the few places in the country right now where you might see real appreciation! I don't know! But... it's worth looking into!
Imagine how wonderful it would be to sell there high and then use that dough here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 PM

76 posts, read 394,728 times
Wow, I wasn't aware of any sink holes! I will have to check that out.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Maybe remaining in New Orleans for three more years is a blessing in disguise NOLA2SGF. With half the population gone and the city on its knees still, it may be a wonderful time to buy in a city that can't be considered part of the real estate bubble inflating and bursting currently around the nation. Once New Orleans begins to take off...and no one really knows when that will be, but once it does, housing prices will probably explode once businesses and people begin flocking back. It might be one of the few places in the country right now where you might see real appreciation! I don't know! But... it's worth looking into!
Imagine how wonderful it would be to sell there high and then use that dough here!
I'm really hoping it turns out that way! Like a lot of the rest of the country, the volume of sales here seems to have decreased somewhat just recently. With any luck, the real estate market here will cycle out of this slump and be on the upswing in three years.

Of course, the same thing might happen in Springfield! I'm just glad that prices there aren't appreciating more rapidly than they are. Right now if I bought a house in Springfield equivalent to my present house, it might be $60K - $80K less. Even paying for the realtor, the closing costs, the move, and redecorating, I'd still have a smile on my face.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3bunny View Post
Wow, I wasn't aware of any sink holes! I will have to check that out.
Well, they usually aren't that bad, apparently. But there was a HUGE one in Nixa a few months ago. Probably if you google Nixa and sink holes, the story would pop up.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 PM

76 posts, read 394,728 times
That was interesting, I read a story about a whole garage including a car was sucked down into this huge hole in the ground that might have been associated with an underground cave system.

Marshfield is sounding better all the time!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 AM

C3bunny, southwest Missouri in general is subject to sink holes due to the karst (limestone) topography. It tends to dissolve away and holes and caves then form. If they give way, you have a sink hole. From what I have read, sink holes are more likely to occur where other sink holes have occurred, and along underground rivers. They are also more likely to occur in areas where a lot of recent development has occurred and structures built that weigh down the land.

On the other hand, the sink hole in Nixa (the one that swallowed the garage) was the worst that has ever occurred in Missouri, according to state geologists. Most are much, much smaller.

One problem with sink holes (I have read), is that developers tend to build in areas that are slightly lower due to milder sink holes, and then the properties might be prone to flooding.

I would imagine that a minor sinkhole might also result in foundation problems.

I don't suppose that choosing Marshfield would mean that you are immune to sink hole issues. I don't know one way or the other. I wouldn't bet on it unless I had a good reason, though. If I was considering Nixa, I'd want to be nowhere near the sink hole.

There does seem to be a lot of development in Marshfield, and (online, at least) houses look even less expensive than those in Springfield. It does look very attractive! My long deceased father was born on a tomato farm in Marshfield back in 1910, though I don't know exactly where. He lived there until they sold the farm and moved to Springfield when he was a toddler. Marshfield has sure changed a lot. I remember my parents taking me out there back in the 1950's to see the farm. There wasn't much there, back then.

Personally I am targetting south Springfield because my preference is to be closer to businesses and such. I will be 62, and I'm thinking that in a decade or two I'll be of an age at which it would be best to minimize necessary driving. Nothing is more aggravating than very old people on the road, with their slow reaction times and driving so slowly. Maybe I could find a house within walking distance of a grocery store, restaurants, and stores.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-08-2007 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 PM

If anybody is interested in learning more about the subject of the last post, here are a couple of links to articles on geology and sinkholes in the Greene County area:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missou...es/ch2pt1.html

http://www.battlefieldmo.org/pnz/comp/ComprehensivePlan-AppendixB.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I came to Springfield in June of 2005 and began looking immediately.... ...and most realtors I encountered here SUCKED! Very unprofessional. It's like they had a choice between running a McDonald's Drive-Thru or getting a realtor's license. The professionalism was non-existent after the first day.

I was a cash buyer...I had cash in my pocket to buy a house under $300K. Yet if I wasn't impressed with a dirty house or didn't like the log cabin look or wasn't impressed with the first two or three houses I was shown, the realtors lost interest!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just didn't understand it and it caught me broadside as everywhere I've ever looked for a home before, California and Nevada, the realtors were superb, organized, had a string of homes to show me, had already run interference to make sure the homes were still on the market, knew where they were, and had already gotten a look at them to know what to emphasize. In Missouri, or in Springfield, they didn't give a damn and had no preparation outside of knowing one or two that they'd been trying to sell for months.

And it wasn't like this real estate market in Springfield was hopping either. I eventually dropped all realtors out of disgust and got onto the SpringfieldMOMLS myself to look. That's how I found the home I bought.
I found a beauty ....It was worth the wait and exposure to those toxic dumps most people had on the market!
LOL! You aren't the only one to notice how bad the Realtors are in Springfield, MO.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:53 PM

100 posts, read 494,367 times
Can I ask a favor of the group? Since people like me that live here are offering thier time, energy, and expertise to this forum, can you stop biting the hand that is feeding you?

This is about the 5th post that I have read that ridiculed my profession. I am happy to reply to any posts where I think my advice might be helpful - I only ask that everyone else be respectful in return.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Henderson View Post
Can I ask a favor of the group? Since people like me that live here are offering thier time, energy, and expertise to this forum, can you stop biting the hand that is feeding you?

This is about the 5th post that I have read that ridiculed my profession. I am happy to reply to any posts where I think my advice might be helpful - I only ask that everyone else be respectful in return.
Randy, please don't take the opinions personally. You may be an excellent realtor and your information here has been very helpful. But you are aware I'm sure that there is a wide problem with the profession in this area. I'd be shocked if this is news to you and I'd also question your competence if it were.
It has nothing to do with you personally as far as I know, or anyone else here I'm sure, and I'm not sure the profession is deserving of respect here in general, though I am not, again, speaking of you. I don't know you and have no experience of or with you. I don't think it would be fair for those of us who've had bad experiences with realtors here to keep that information secret and protect the bad realtors. Instead, people looking to come here deserve the open information and at the very least, be pre-informed that they may need to exercise caution and have a plan B and plan C as others have found the profession here poor and unhelpful...even harmful (I lost a house because my realtor refused to ask the seller a question for example). Part of this forum is to find out about an area and know what to expect.
I work in banking, credit cards to be exact. People automatically call me a crook and thief. Am I? No, far from it. However, they don't know me and their frustration with bankers and lenders is often taken out on me. Do I take it personally? I can't.
Nor should you please. Thanks Randy and this is said with genuine good intent!
MoMark

Last edited by MoMark; 02-10-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area