Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 70,799 times

Advertisements

thanks for the interesting discussions...Randy I like your honesty and when I am ready to buy I will be talking to you first since you seem to be more "hungry" than the other realtors I have tried...Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 AM

54 posts, read 182,375 times
In 2001 When I was searching for my house in springfield, My realtor kept taking me to real nice houses, Then I would say, Yea lets buy it and he would say lets get together in 3 days or so because I have a family thing, another apointment, etc.. Then we would finally get together and he would tell me the house was under contract and had been before we even looked at it.

These were actually generally great houses that I found by looking at the mls myself and would call my realtor and say I want to go look at it.

These were excellent deals, AKA 2300sqft house, southern springfield near kickapoo (Forclosure), asking $90K, 2000sqft house on quarter acre of land, again southern sprngfld for $95K. and 2 other houses just like that, My fav being the 2300sqft.

After the 4th house this happened on, I told him I wasn't intrested in dealing with him anymore.

I kept looking for a houses on my own, And had a murney realtor just about beg me to be my realtor and I let him, No exclusivity contracts. 2 houses looked at later and we entered contract for a beautiful house. Although I dont think the murney realtor had much expereince because he just about had a anxiety attack and started placing blame when the financing hit a small snag and was delayed over the weekend (Original closing date was on a friday.) and the sellers threatened to pull out, But I convinced him to calm down, and monday came, he got his money and all was good. Generally I was happy with the guy, Just surprised he never came acrossed finance problems before.

And intresting side story that kinda ticked me off... I was wanting to know who bought the 2300sqft house from under me and did some research about a year after I purchased my current house. The name on the tax records from the assesors office was my ex-realtors name. This got my curiosity up even more so I went and knocked on the door and talked to the current resident of the house, Turns out she was renting and lived there about 8 months.

I think my realtor actually purchased the house from under me as a friggin rental house of all things.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:57 AM

100 posts, read 494,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traker1001 View Post
In 2001 When I was searching for my house in springfield, My realtor kept taking me to real nice houses, Then I would say, Yea lets buy it and he would say lets get together in 3 days or so because I have a family thing, another apointment, etc.. Then we would finally get together and he would tell me the house was under contract and had been before we even looked at it.

These were actually generally great houses that I found by looking at the mls myself and would call my realtor and say I want to go look at it.

These were excellent deals, AKA 2300sqft house, southern springfield near kickapoo (Forclosure), asking $90K, 2000sqft house on quarter acre of land, again southern sprngfld for $95K. and 2 other houses just like that, My fav being the 2300sqft.

After the 4th house this happened on, I told him I wasn't intrested in dealing with him anymore.

I kept looking for a houses on my own, And had a murney realtor just about beg me to be my realtor and I let him, No exclusivity contracts. 2 houses looked at later and we entered contract for a beautiful house. Although I dont think the murney realtor had much expereince because he just about had a anxiety attack and started placing blame when the financing hit a small snag and was delayed over the weekend (Original closing date was on a friday.) and the sellers threatened to pull out, But I convinced him to calm down, and monday came, he got his money and all was good. Generally I was happy with the guy, Just surprised he never came acrossed finance problems before.

And intresting side story that kinda ticked me off... I was wanting to know who bought the 2300sqft house from under me and did some research about a year after I purchased my current house. The name on the tax records from the assesors office was my ex-realtors name. This got my curiosity up even more so I went and knocked on the door and talked to the current resident of the house, Turns out she was renting and lived there about 8 months.

I think my realtor actually purchased the house from under me as a friggin rental house of all things.
That's not just an interesting story, that's Realtor fraud. Your Realtor should be working in your best interest, to the exclusion of everyone - even themselves.

I have access to the sold information if you are interested in pursuing that.

As far as freaking out about the money - newer Realtors have 2 big problems that are both cured with time. They haven't been around long enough to know how to handle financing problems, and they are often paying May's bills with April's commission checks - which makes them sometimes worry more about their interests than your's.

I have always thought a great question for a potential buyers agent is "If you didn't sell a house for the next 6 months, could you afford to stay in business?"

Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 AM

54 posts, read 182,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Henderson View Post
That's not just an interesting story, that's Realtor fraud. Your Realtor should be working in your best interest, to the exclusion of everyone - even themselves.

I have access to the sold information if you are interested in pursuing that.

As far as freaking out about the money - newer Realtors have 2 big problems that are both cured with time. They haven't been around long enough to know how to handle financing problems, and they are often paying May's bills with April's commission checks - which makes them sometimes worry more about their interests than your's.

I have always thought a great question for a potential buyers agent is "If you didn't sell a house for the next 6 months, could you afford to stay in business?"
I knew it was fraud, however at the time I was dirt poor and wouldnt have had the money to do anything about it, And now its been long enough that I wouldn't be intrested in even bothering, I am a solid beleiver in karma and truly beleive he will eventually get his.

Like I said the second realtor was a good guy, I actually got the feeling that he cared about us being happy with what we got, Just surprised me when he freaked out and think that he may have really caused a problem if it had been anyone else. However I have always been the take charge kind, And have alot of general bussiness experience, with running and managing my own bussiness for many years now. All that pretty much gave me a strong idea of what was happening.

I have actually been considering going to the classes and getting a license and also going to the classes to learn how to do inspections to. I have been in IT for many years and am getting tired of it. I have always had an intrest in realty, And I am also in a financial position were doing realty isn't about money, no sales for one day or two months wont make a difference in my house payments, Food, etc.. but wouldn't mind the extra money from a sale time to time. But hey its a mild consideration that probably never happen

Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 AM

791 posts, read 1,819,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Henderson View Post

Randy,

As always, your honesty & Integrity shine through. Your question for potential buyers to ask an agent is fantastic. However, I might be a little skeptical as to how honestly it'd be answered.

Thank you also for showing that people have some recourse when they feel their relationship with their realtor may have been compromised in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traker1001
I knew it was fraud, however at the time I was dirt poor and wouldnt have had the money to do anything about it, And now its been long enough that I wouldn't be intrested in even bothering, I am a solid beleiver in karma and truly beleive he will eventually get his.
Traker1001,

Your situation at the time was probably not uncommon, which is sad. It seems the transgressors of this world get away with too much, and because of that, their misconducts go unabated, leaving may victims in their wake. But, hopefully as you say, their karma will come back to hit them where it hurts. Unfortunately, they'll be the first to think...'What'd I ever do to deserve this???' I'm sorry you had to go through such a rotten situation. Hopefully in retrospect, you are happier with where you are now. Maybe it was just Gods way of saying that that house wasn't for you.?

I wonder...and maybe Randy can verify this, but even though you aren't prepared to pursue this issue in the courts, I wonder if writing a letter to the realtor's broker might at least bring his fraudulent act to their attention. Surely they'd want to know if an employee was breaking the law and compromising their integrity & business license. Not to mention possible future litigation that could cost them $$$$. I don't know...just a thought.

Take Care,
Boof

Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
Randy,

As always, your honesty & Integrity shine through. Your question for potential buyers to ask an agent is fantastic. However, I might be a little skeptical as to how honestly it'd be answered.

Thank you also for showing that people have some recourse when they feel their relationship with their realtor may have been compromised in some way.

Traker1001,

Your situation at the time was probably not uncommon, which is sad. It seems the transgressors of this world get away with too much, and because of that, their misconducts go unabated, leaving may victims in their wake. But, hopefully as you say, their karma will come back to hit them where it hurts. Unfortunately, they'll be the first to think...'What'd I ever do to deserve this???' I'm sorry you had to go through such a rotten situation. Hopefully in retrospect, you are happier with where you are now. Maybe it was just Gods way of saying that that house wasn't for you.?

I wonder...and maybe Randy can verify this, but even though you aren't prepared to pursue this issue in the courts, I wonder if writing a letter to the realtor's broker might at least bring his fraudulent act to their attention. Surely they'd want to know if an employee was breaking the law and compromising their integrity & business license. Not to mention possible future litigation that could cost them $$$$. I don't know...just a thought.

Take Care,
Boof
When a client signs a buyer agency relationship with you, you are promising to always work in their best interest. If the Realtor wanted the house, he needed to tell the client that it was a great deal, and if the client didn't want it, he would buy it.

Thats as far as it should have gone.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traker1001 View Post
I have actually been considering going to the classes and getting a license and also going to the classes to learn how to do inspections to. I have been in IT for many years and am getting tired of it. I have always had an intrest in realty, And I am also in a financial position were doing realty isn't about money, no sales for one day or two months wont make a difference in my house payments, Food, etc.. but wouldn't mind the extra money from a sale time to time. But hey its a mild consideration that probably never happen
When I read the "Realtors are scum" posts, the first knock on Realtors is that they have no education - its a week's training and a test.

Let me tell you- it isn't hard to become a Realtor. The school takes about a week, and the state test's pretty tough. I have a business degree, and was pretty smug until I took the test. I was surprised at how hard it was.

If you are thinking about becoming a Realtor, let me buy you lunch. It has a huge upside, but a pretty scary downside. A lot of people can't take the idea of being self employed - basicaly waking up unemployed- every morning.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,408 times
MoMark it looks like you have a nice place from your yard pics. I hope to be in Missouri in a few years. Our move got set back by two years from unseen things (rats).
I like wall paper but the wife dose not (hmm this could get fun LOL). We are also looking for open and wooded land. A log home or old farm home. I do plan on some fixing but no rebuilds for me.
One thing I have wondered about is water how deep ect. I do plan to put in a reverse osmosis system and whole house filter as clean and good water mean almost every thing to me and well over ride an otherwise good deal. I will be getting a hold of you down the line for your realtor’s number when the time gets closer. I so want out of calif and to get back to the mid west life. No I am not a home owner here just a renter out in the sticks .yes we even have place like that here. Closest town has only 400 people but Fresno is about 30 miles away. Fresno is also were we seam to have to go for any shopping as the local town is o my goodness so over priced and fresh food looks to be pig slop ready dose not even look close to fresh but one year old would be more like it. (Yuck) Talk about dirty and crime laden man can not believe it. I also have lived in a few states and many grow up in calif but never liked the place. Reading on this sight makes me want to move now just wish I could. Just wanted to drop by and say hi to all the great Missouri folks out here. this is also my take people here on the Missouri side welcome you and do not get upset when you post the truth on there state were other states the blame every thing on outsiders and try to let them know there not welcomed or that the truth is not the truth nice to see honest people are in the state of my chousing

Old 04-22-2007, 03:14 PM

114 posts, read 397,911 times
Default Wow! What a difference good taste makes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I agree with you! The house I ended up buying was empty and spotless when I found it. Thank the Lord. It had been purchased only a couple of months before by an elderly couple from Arkansas who had planned to live here, so they put on a new roof, new water heater, new painting, new carpet, and fixed it up beautifully. They actually had great taste.... something that is a bit lacking in southwest Missouri I'm afraid.. Here the 1980's is alive with reanimated Laura Ashley wannabees who think fake ivy and flowers and cutesy wallpaper is just La Bomba. (gag)
I did use wallpaper again, but I used it to create a wainscoting in my dining room. It originally had a chandelier that looked like a bunch of bottles tied together upside down that had fused and melted in a nuclear test as well as dark red and roses wallpaper and thick dusty sheers...talk about "FUGLY".... The Arkansas couple hadn't tackled that room yet. They had a death in the family and had to sell and go back to Arkansas and I had found out through sneaky methods how much they had paid for the house, so I knew what was reasonable. I also took into account what they'd done to improve it, which was a lot.
Here's my dining room for example. In some cases wallpaper CAN work! I put in the chair rail before the wallpaper and had the drapes custom made. The chandelier is a Waterford I bought directly from Waterford, Ireland as they don't sell them in this part of Missouri and that's what I wanted. I don't have a before pic unfortunately.
During:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/26Feb.jpg (broken link)
The new wallpaper is a wheat pattern in gold/yellow, but discreet:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/WallpaperDR.jpg (broken link)
New drapes custom made by a seamstress in Springfield:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/DiningRoomNewDrapes-1.jpg (broken link)
Dining room after (look Ma, no Ozark tackiness!!! ):

You just have to change things to how you want them to be and visualize things under the tacky wallpaper and "country" look!
I'm posting this way late; have not been to the Missouri site before. I, too, would love an older house to fix up like you did. Taste and cleanliness make a huge difference in making even a modest home look refined and wonderful to live in. I'm putting out into the universe (new term, considering the power of the internet), I am wanting my first home for me and my husband as we get ready to retire. An older home that needs a little TLC, but will be loved to pieces. We just have not prospered financially in life, but have always worked (no welfare). We have skills to work out of our home, especially in our senior years, kind of specific enough to be hard to find our niche. We like horses, roping for my husband, trail riding for me, plus I am an artist (starving, of course, who makes art pay enough to help make house payments consistantly!) However, I used to can and sew and might get involved again in making chaps and leather goods for resale. (We used to own a custom saddle shop).
The reason I picked Missouri is because I am hoping for a semi-mild climate (bugs and storms are ok), because it is green so we can have a garden, and a horse or two on our acreage), and because I saw it on a train ride once and loved it's landscape, especially in small towns and along the river.
I believe it will take a miracle for this to happen. Moving means starting over financially, and when I say we have no savings, not even a retirement fund, I am not asking for sympathy, just understanding. We like to work, but have lived in the most expensive state in the US so long, we can't seem to keep our heads above water. Help! Any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:18 PM

114 posts, read 397,911 times
Oops! I meant to say, I don't know who makes art pay for house payments, not that I do make art work. I do horse portraits and dogs...so if there are horse and dog owners out there....plus, I sell real estate (new at this, but I think I'm one of those good realtors). Anyway, we are not afraid to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area