Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM

186 posts, read 466,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - Im trying to find a nice place to live in Missouri or Tennessee. I dont know much about it. I visited Hannibal recently. 10 years ago I traveled on the Greyhound Bus to some friends, i cant remember what town/city it was, but we went thru the Ozarks which i remember were kind of hilly. It was beautiful. I dont remember if it was St Joseph or Springfield. Anyway, what is the thing about the meth labs this topic describes.

I live in Chicago, Can anything be worse than chicago? i dont think so.

What is the best city/town to live in Missouri if you cannot stand humidity, nor too cold winters, (would love more moderate temps); and is a nice town where you feel safe, and is conservative in politics, (I hate liberals); kind of like Mayberry on tv though i know that is not a real place, but that kind of small town feel.

also, would like a place to have stores like Walmart and some restaurants, so a quaint town would be nice. I also love to live by a lake although not sure about living near the Missisiippi River in case it floods.

Creepy bugs and snakes ewwww!! im not a fan of those!

Every time i look at the weather map, about the middle of the USA, i.e. St Louis, seems like the temperature is always 10 degrees better than chicago temp.

Where would you recommend?
Well, if you don't like humidity, you can rule out pretty much anywhere in either MO OR TN (or anywhere else south of where you are unless you go out to the desert west). Although, after living in both, I will say that MO has less humidity than TN. People in MO may complain about the humidity, but you don't get the feeling of swimming through the air like you do in TN.

There are quite a few towns all over MO that would fit your requirements, but it really all depends on how large of a place you want to live in. There are several small small towns on the lake down on Tablerock, or there is a lake in Springfield, if you are wanting a larger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Hi - well there goes my idea i live here in chicago and I cannot handle the summertime when it gets too humid. I wish there were a place that was hot but not humid in a small town.. i might have to go north Seriously, I am with a lot of people that hate illinois and chicago for the corruption and love the small town life when i go on vacation to one. I was talking to friends that live in the south and they love it, then when i read on here all the wonderful things, its like where i want to be. I dont want to stay in chicago after i retire and that is not far off. I might need to vacation in august in Missouri or Tennessee just to see what the humidity is like.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Quote:
Hi - Im trying to find a nice place to live in Missouri or Tennessee. I dont know much about it. I visited Hannibal recently. 10 years ago I traveled on the Greyhound Bus to some friends, i cant remember what town/city it was, but we went thru the Ozarks which i remember were kind of hilly. It was beautiful. I dont remember if it was St Joseph or Springfield. Anyway, what is the thing about the meth labs this topic describes.

I live in Chicago, Can anything be worse than chicago? i dont think so.

What is the best city/town to live in Missouri if you cannot stand humidity, nor too cold winters, (would love more moderate temps); and is a nice town where you feel safe, and is conservative in politics, (I hate liberals); kind of like Mayberry on tv though i know that is not a real place, but that kind of small town feel.

also, would like a place to have stores like Walmart and some restaurants, so a quaint town would be nice. I also love to live by a lake although not sure about living near the Missisiippi River in case it floods.

Creepy bugs and snakes ewwww!! im not a fan of those!

Every time i look at the weather map, about the middle of the USA, i.e. St Louis, seems like the temperature is always 10 degrees better than chicago temp.

Where would you recommend?
You will have to compromise when it comes to what you want weather wise. Anywhere in Missouri is going to be VERY humid during the summer. I live in southern missouri and everyone comments on how the humidity is just as bad as it would be in Florida here. Also there can be cold temps during the winter.....obviously the further south you head into the state the more moderate it will be during the winter. No bugs or snakes? Well we have plenty of those too.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
you want awesome weather? move to California, best buy roseeta stone for spanish though..

Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Cali - no, California is way too liberal for me, and also crazy drivers (too crowded).

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

141 posts, read 426,363 times
I have been through two Springfield summers and yes it is hot and there is some humidity. I am from South Mississippi and the humidity here is minuscule compared to being by the Gulf of Mexico. I love it here. I was hoping for more snow but so far there really hasn't been any. The fall and spring here are really nice . I miss the southern seafood but I still get it when I go home to visit. I love the area though. Plus, I like being a short drive to the big cities like St. Louis, Kansas City and Tulsa.

Stephanie

Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Well, if you don't like humidity, you can rule out pretty much anywhere in either MO OR TN (or anywhere else south of where you are unless you go out to the desert west). Although, after living in both, I will say that MO has less humidity than TN. People in MO may complain about the humidity, but you don't get the feeling of swimming through the air like you do in TN.

There are quite a few towns all over MO that would fit your requirements, but it really all depends on how large of a place you want to live in. There are several small small towns on the lake down on Tablerock, or there is a lake in Springfield, if you are wanting a larger city.
I met a college professor from the University of Tennessee a few years ago that was teaching a year at Washington University. He couldn't believe how hot and humid it was in St. Louis in August and he'd been teaching in Knoxville for 20 plus years.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM

Hi all OK on the map of the USA, there is a lot of Missouri right next to Illinois. (the northern part).. So why would that part be humid if its right next to Illinois which has a hot summer/cold winter but NOT the humid tropical climate of like southern Missouri?

seems like if i am ok with weather here in Illinois, and just go to northern Missouri, it should be ok then?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Hi - well there goes my idea i live here in chicago and I cannot handle the summertime when it gets too humid. I wish there were a place that was hot but not humid in a small town.. i might have to go north Seriously, I am with a lot of people that hate illinois and chicago for the corruption and love the small town life when i go on vacation to one. I was talking to friends that live in the south and they love it, then when i read on here all the wonderful things, its like where i want to be. I dont want to stay in chicago after i retire and that is not far off. I might need to vacation in august in Missouri or Tennessee just to see what the humidity is like.
I would look at rural Wisconsin around Eau Claire or La Crosse. Affordable for housing and VERY low crime. Nice scenic places with Eau Claire being an hour to the Twin Cities.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I don't think Missouri is that humid. I am originally from NJ and I don't notice any real difference.

OP, if you want a conservative, safe, smallish town, but large enough to have stores and restaurants, and to be near a lake, I would suggest looking at the following: Warsaw, Clinton, and Bolivar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area