U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 267,169 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move from Southern California to Springfield Missouri. We have friends there that love it. My concerns are the following:
How difficult is it to adapt to the cold winters?
How about the humidity in the summer?
Was it a culture shock?
Fear of tornados?
We have kids in Boy Scouts and soccer. Are there ample opportunities for the kids to be involved in these activities?
I am currently a very involved parent and have found good schools in Strafford and Rogersville so looking in these areas.
How hard is it to fit in when you are the new kid on the block?
Thank you for any information you are able to give me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 PM

100 posts, read 467,345 times

Like anything else, the first few will chill you pretty well. I moved here from the Pacific Northwest, so I had experienced some cold winters. It seems a little different here, because, with the humidity, the cold seems to be a little more "chilling" - almost like you are wet and cold together. The good news is, with the exception of this year, all of our winters have seemed short and mild.

Same thing in reverse. I had not experienced humidity until I moved here, and it was quite a shock. However, I barely notice it 15 years later. Almost all stores, houses, and cars have A/C, so you rarely suffer.

Was it a culture shock?
Not much. Despite what you might have read in other posts, there is movies, theater, music, a zoo, and all of the shopping that you could ever want. If you want the big city feel, Kansas City and St. Louis are half a day away, New Orleans is a long day away.

Fear of tornados?
I always fear them. Springfield gets a few, but not near what Texas or Oklahoma would experience. I live in Ozark, and we always seem to get missed.

We have kids in Boy Scouts and soccer. Are there ample opportunities for the kids to be involved in these activities?

We were soccer coaches after just a year here. My kids were involved in Boy Scouts, band, ROTC, and debate. I have noticed no drop off in activities over what seemed to be offered before we moved here.

I am currently a very involved parent and have found good schools in Strafford and Rogersville so looking in these areas.

Both great areas, it seems Rogersville has a shortage of available housing for my clients (I am a Realtor). PM me and I will let you know how to check out the housing market in detail.

I thought it might, but it hasn't. Mind you, the Springfield of 1992 isn't the Springfield now. There used to be a lot more generational families that lived there forever, but now it seems like there are a lot of short time Springfieldians, like a lot of other areas.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 PM

Thank you for the information. Regarding the humidity you mention air conditioning in homes and cars, does that mean you can't go outside much as it is unbearable? I don't want to be stuck inside during the winter because of the cold and summer because of the humidity. I am an outdoors person and am concerned about this. Any opinions?

Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

100 posts, read 467,345 times
Normally in the winter (I'm not counting this year!) I could go outside and enjoy myself without being cold for all but maybe a couple of weeks.

Summer on the other hand, is another story. I would say that there are a good solid 3-4 weeks (overall) where you are talking about 85+ weather with 70+ humidity. Its not a killer - I mean, you can go outside and enjoy the day, but you want to mow your lawn early or late.

Spring and fall are absolutely delightful.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,461,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
My family and I are considering a move from Southern California to Springfield Missouri. We have friends there that love it. My concerns are the following:
Was it a culture shock?
Fear of tornados?
Thank you for any information you are able to give me.
I think Randy overviewed it well. This is my second winter here. Last winter started out very cold, then got eerily warm until an arctic streak in Feb. 06, then warm again and it remained comfortable. I had pansies blooming in Jan. 06.
This year is a different kettle of fish...not really too much snow (cross fingers), but it's been dreadfully cold for long periods of time and over and over again, and, we had that ice/sleet/snowstorm in late fall with frigid temps through most of Dec., and then this horrible ice storm with mega-low arctic temps in Jan. It's been very cold and very destructive. But the most valuable piece of clothing I've found to bear it is a hooded sweatshirt under a heavy coat with a nice scarf wrapped around your neck and insulated gloves. That way you can use the hood to keep the icy wind off your ears and face. Other than that, when you're inside (as long as you have power!!!!), it's no problem.
The humidity here is nothing compared to the East Coast. Ever been in Tidewater, Virginia in the mid-summer? That's humidity! Here it's humid, but it's not unbearable in my opinion and it's broken by frequent thunderstorms which cool things down.
No culture shock whatsoever in my experience. People here are religious, Christian, conservative politically and socially, but not oppressively so, very friendly, and they tend to be typical Midwestern whites. It's a very white place, you don't see many blacks or Hispanics. I noticed the absence of diversity a lot when I first moved here coming from California and Las Vegas, but you get used to it.
Tornadoes scare the SH_T out of me and there were close calls on the nights of March 12/13th of 2006 when tornadoes touched down in the Springfield area and around Nixa and east of Springfield along I-44 about 1am in the mornings both nights. It was terrifying as the weather got extremely violent over my house briefly and I literally thought my house would get bulldozed when the radio said one was heading straight for Pleasant Hope *I'm near there*. But, I was missed by six miles. I guess the violence of the storm was widespread for me to feel threatened where I was. I huddled in a closet wrapped in a sleeping bag around my head. I was scared. I still am if there is a tornado warning. My neighbors have a basement tornado shelter and have told me to come to them if we get the warning.
As far as school sports, clubs, activities, and parental participation, I think that's highly developed here.
Another good thing is the local baseball team. I never liked baseball. I always found it boring. But the Hammons Field stadium is first rate all the way and it's a pleasure watching the Cardinals here play teams from around the South and Midwest and getting into it on a nice summer or Fall eve.
It's a wonderful, wonderful place to live. I took two years choosing where I wanted to be and always ended up with Springfield on my list. I don't regret it a bit.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 AM

339 posts, read 1,350,286 times
You can dress for the cold. You will find that outdoor activities in the cold can be very enjoyable as long as there isn't much wind. (I hate wind!)

Humidity is tough on hot days. But that's what swimming pools and spring-fed streams are for.

Tornados just keep things interesting.

Plenty here to do for the kids.

This is a fast growing area. New kids out number the old.

I've lived here since 1999 and it has really become home. Being a white Christian conservative, it probably fits me better than any other demographic. But my non-white and non-christian and liberal friends all seem to like it too.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Thank You for all the information

Well you put to rest some concerns of mine, thank you. It certainly will be a BIG change from sunny Southern California, but change is good. Leaving the rat race for beautiful country sure sounds appealing. The one thing I found you do not have and I will REALLY miss is my Trader Joes, maybe you will eventually get one as you all say it is growing rapidly. I go to the farmers market here weekly, do they have one there? It seems many Californians have moved to Springfield and many other places. More people moving out of California now then since 1994. I guess we all see it going downhill and all want a better place to live and raise our kids. Springfield seems to be the heart of America. Do natives look down on Californians? I have found this to be the case in other places we were looking. Thanks again for your help and input.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM

339 posts, read 1,350,286 times
We have a farmers market on certain days of the week. We also have a number of small farms that sell their produce to the public at the farm.

I've never been to Trader Joe's, but I hear it's great. For great wine, good sausages and cheeses and various high end dips and snacks, we have the Brown Derby International Wine Center. My relatives from St. Louis and Phoenix really rave about it.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Default more questions

Can you grow fruit trees there or is the weather too harsh? I would love to have a apricot and plum tree. Also how do vegetable gardens do there? I am coming to Springfield next week to check it out. With all the positive things everyone has said on these blogs I am very hopeful this will be the place for my family. It will be hard to leave family and friends and all that sunshine behind but ahead are literally greener pastures and a much better run state then California is. Apparently many Californians are coming there or have already come. Thank you for your time and help.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,461,599 times
No, no one here looks down on Californians in my experience. I haven't really seen that many Californians here really. I haven't run across East Coasters much either. There are a lot of people from the northern Midwest and from the Gulf coast from what I've encountered. Others have moved here from within Missouri, usually down from northern Missouri or from KC or St. Louis.
Because the soil is often shallow and rocky, you may need to do some work to prepare for a garden, but there are cornfields nearby as well. If you drive down 65 south from I-44, you'll see cornfields on the right (west) in the summer.
And I don't know about apricots, but apples grow here well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area