Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 AM

82 posts, read 259,785 times

Advertisements

adysmom -

I don't disagree, they all start somewhere. But, unlike LA, Springfield isn't millions, it is only in the 100 thousands. It would take a long time before it got anywhere close to what LA/Chicago etc are like.

The police force around here, imo, does a pretty good job of keeping tabs on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
Have them stop by and visit me. I'll be happy to take them to visit real gang areas.

They act tough but when confronted they won't do anything about it. That might have something to do with my physical size (6'7" 280+lbs) and the fact I don't put up with their bull, but from what I see, nothing truly to worry about.
Yep wanna be's...Do that here and they will bury you.....

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

50 posts, read 213,309 times
Yes there are some hoodlums in Springfield but they don't hang out on some street corner, you'll find them down at City Hall. Drive around and look at the poorly maintained streets, the many, many decrepit buildings, look at some of the "deals" being handed out to local developers (Heers building next to the park, for example) and of course who can forget the great real estate development program with MSU? Springfield citizens have plenty to be concerned about, but the little guy on the street corner with the can of spray paint isn't where all the real tragedies of 2008 are taking place. (please don't blame the gangs for the coming depression too ... I'm already chuckling as it is)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 PM

49 posts, read 261,737 times
I agree with most and disagree with a few, lol
Yes, we have "gangs" and we probably have more than 20 gangs. But the gangs here are no more than the typical dictionary.com definition as a gang being a "group of people." We have groups who are trouble makers, we have groups that get into crime, but there are also groups of just good ole boys trying to have fun but disrupting the peace in the processes.
We don't really have any serious gangs. There have been drive by shootings and what not, but even that has reduced over the last few years. We are just an average city of our size with typical crime for our size, possibly even less.
Someone mentioned earlier that we need to stop gangs now before we become like LA. I'm honestly not afraid of that because unlike LA, we are allowed to carry guns in this area for our protection. Whether guns are banned or not, criminals will find themselves guns or any other weapon they wish. But because we live in a city where citizens have the right to protect themselves if someone tries to use deadly force, I don't thing gangs will be a big deal.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 AM

8 posts, read 27,737 times
I'm from the Ozarks originally but have been living in Boston, New York, DC, Chicago and LA for 20 years now, and I agree, Ozarkers are hysterical about the so-called gang issue, and the idea that Springfield will turn into LA is preposterous. I can tell you (adysmom) has not spent much time in South Central LA or Boyle Heights or South Side Chicago, or SE Washington or the Bronx (which I have)--there is no reason in the world gangbangers would want to go to Springfield. Meth distribution is much more the real issue in SW Missouri, and for that the hardcore gangbangers have affiliates or the production and distribution is home-grown.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM

10 posts, read 33,370 times
So What are the most voilent gangs in Springfield?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naru View Post
So What are the most voilent gangs in Springfield?
Naru, this ain't the big city, so we only have two real gangs in southern Missouri, the Pissants and their arch enemies, the Peckerwoods.

Which one are you?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Naru, this ain't the big city, so we only have two real gangs in southern Missouri, the Pissants and their arch enemies, the Peckerwoods.

Which one are you?
LOL rep to you ozarksboy. great post.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
LOL rep to you ozarksboy. great post.
Thanks. I forgot to add that up here in Rolla, I've heard tell of another gang, too. I believe they're referred to as the Goat Ropers.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

Which one are you?
Wasssup Wood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area