Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times

Advertisements

I've seen a couple of statistics that indicate that Springfield, MO has lost population that past couple of years. Any one in the area know if this is a statistic that is skewed or if it is a fact? If it's a fact, anyone know why the population is shrinking? Generally, it's not a good sign for a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 05:50 PM

100 posts, read 494,143 times
I think what you are seeing is a shift away from the city to the county. As of last year, Christian County (Ozark and Nixa) was the fastest growing county in the state.

When most businesses consider opening in Springfield, they look at the Springfield MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area). It considers the outlying areas, basically anywhere that people would live and still spend a fair amount of time and money in Springfield.

The MSA has risen to "trigger" points that have allowed new restaurants like Red Robin, and stores like Lowes and Home Depot. I have also seen expansion in the local Target and Walmarts. I would say that Springfield is still experiencing healthy growth.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
My understanding also is that it dropped a tad between censuses, but that the growth in Nixa, Republic, Willard, etc. is absorbing thousands of new residents and maybe some of the older ones too. I think it's mostly a slight shift to the outlying areas as Randy says. I'd seen information as well and tried to put it into context in light of the explosive growth just to the immediate south of Springfield.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
There are some beautiful new developments just south of Springfield.

Does anyone have thoughts to share on some of the advantages and/or disadvantages of living just outside of town.... just barely south of Springfield's southernmost city limits, as opposed to living within the city limits?

Taxes? Services such as fire and police? Schools? Snow plowing? trash? cable TV? More of a "yuppie" atmosphere in the newer neighborhoods sometimes? Peace and quiet? Other factors?

I am wondering why so many people are choosing to live just out of town on the south side. As MoMark mentioned, this population shift may be partly due to people moving just south of town. Maybe their motivation is based solely on the newness of the neighborhoods, but maybe there are other factors as well.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-20-2007 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
My family moved last year from Springfield to Battlefield. When we were looking at houses, comparables in the City of Springfield were more expensive. We are still in Springfield schools and part of our utilities are through City Utilities. We did not make a conscious decision to move out of Springfield. It just worked out better for us that way.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
My family moved last year from Springfield to Battlefield. When we were looking at houses, comparables in the City of Springfield were more expensive. We are still in Springfield schools and part of our utilities are through City Utilities. We did not make a conscious decision to move out of Springfield. It just worked out better for us that way.
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that you would have Springfield schools and utilities in Battlefield. Interesting! Battlefield seems like a nice community.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that you would have Springfield schools and utilities in Battlefield. Interesting! Battlefield seems like a nice community.
I live seven miles north of Springfield and all the kids here get picked up on Springfield school buses and attend schools within the district.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I live seven miles north of Springfield and all the kids here get picked up on Springfield school buses and attend schools within the district.
Are your property taxes more or less the same as they would be within the Springfield city limits?

When I lived in College Station, Texas, back in the 1980's we had the finest public schools but our property taxes were absolutely staggering. Our daughter went to a brand new elementary school a block from our house. It had wonderful teachers and facilities, small class sizes, and it was far better than private schools in the area.

Some friends there who lived outside the College Station city limits had very low property taxes. But, they had to get on a waiting list and pay tuition to get their kids in the College Station public schools.

Since I have no kids at home, I had been thinking that maybe I would save money by living outside the city limits. But if the kids just outside Springfield go to the same schools, then it might not make much difference.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Are your property taxes more or less the same as they would be within the Springfield city limits?

When I lived in College Station, Texas, back in the 1980's we had the finest public schools but our property taxes were absolutely staggering. Our daughter went to a brand new elementary school a block from our house. It had wonderful teachers and facilities, small class sizes, and it was far better than private schools in the area.

Some friends there who lived outside the College Station city limits had very low property taxes. But, they had to get on a waiting list and pay tuition to get their kids in the College Station public schools.

Since I have no kids at home, I had been thinking that maybe I would save money by living outside the city limits. But if the kids just outside Springfield go to the same schools, then it might not make much difference.
I am taxed by the county for my area of unincorporated Greene County, not the City of Springfield, so I assume they're lower. But I don't know that actual comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area