Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times

Advertisements

Huntman, my cousins bought a house outside of Springfield that has a root cellar that doubles as a shelter. My cousin said many homes don't have shelters there, but they go to people's homes that do so say many family members all gather at "granny's" house who has a shelter. So if you can't get a shelter, ask someone who has one very close to you and I am sure they will let you come there for shelter. Around there he said it is pretty rare to have to go to one anyway so that is good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark
Oh... Fresno... I do have sympathy. Fresno and Bakersfield compete for the honor of armpit of California. I can understand your desire to get out of there!
O your so right on that and now we are headed for 105 by friday . I want out of here big time is it the years 2008 yet

Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
Default weather in springfield

My family moved to Springfield 11 years ago. I grew up in Sunny Southern California for 27 years of my life. I LOVE Springfield. I love the weather. I love the 4 seasons so much. in the past 11 years the winters have been mild to me. The first 2 were rough to me and I never went to bed with socks on before I moved here. After that, it has not been bad at all. To be honest, I feel that the winters have gotten more mild. I wore my big winter coat maybe 1/2 the winter last year and that is all. The summers are terrible to me. Only the humidty that it. I am not a humidty person. I do not tolerate the heat well at all. I would rather be cold then hot anyday. The springs are unbelievable and then the fall is spectacular. Every year I say that the fall is my favorite then the spring then the winter. I can never decide. Springfield is an awesome place to raise a family and just overall good people here. I have made life long friends here and would not change the past 11 years for nothing. Hope this helps

Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack
Huntman, my cousins bought a house outside of Springfield that has a root cellar that doubles as a shelter. My cousin said many homes don't have shelters there, but they go to people's homes that do so say many family members all gather at "granny's" house who has a shelter. So if you can't get a shelter, ask someone who has one very close to you and I am sure they will let you come there for shelter. Around there he said it is pretty rare to have to go to one anyway so that is good news.
Thanks for the idea. That may be some thing to do tell I get my own .what you suggested is also some thing the wife and I have talked about. Opening it to others as that is what I believe good freinds and people do.well at lest thats how i was raised.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack
The whole area in the South and Midwest can have tornadoes. They don't seem to hit the Ozarks like they do in the Plains though but I can't tell you you are not going to get hit because it is possible. The main thing is to have a tornado shelter near you to get to and have insurance. Most of the US can have tornadoes. The Plains seem to can get the big ones like the one that hit in Norman, OK. If you see the ones in Missouri they seem like they are mostly on a smaller scale. Really any place seems to have something. Earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, fire, tornadoes. It seems there isn't any perfect place. If tornadoes are a real concern to you, the safest place in the US is the Durango, Colorado area. They don't have earthquakes, volcanoes or tornadoes. I really wouldn't worry about them too much though. Most people even in the high tornado alley zone wont see a tornado ever hit them.
You're so right about tornadoes! But, if Yellowstone ever blows up, Durango, Colorado is hasta la pasta too! !

Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark
You're so right about tornadoes! But, if Yellowstone ever blows up, Durango, Colorado is hasta la pasta too! !
no no do not say that then too many well want to go to Missouri before I can get there so could you make that hold off for about say three years

Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Why Missouri?

I've been reading these posts about moving to Springfield, MO and I am just wondering "why Missouri"? As opposed to any other state? I have my own reasons for Missouri, but I am wondering why y'all are thinking MO?

I live in Northeastern Nevada, by the way. Extremely cold.

Also, my opinion on avoiding unpleasant things like tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. No way no how any of us will be able to outguess Mother Nature. The very place someone says "there's no earthquakes there" is probably the next place there'll be one. Same with tornadoes. I say, go and enjoy it, and be prepared for whatever is most likely to be a natural disaster in that area. And again.. ENJOY it! Regardless of what I or anyone else says on this blog.

prj

Old 12-17-2006, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 11,664 times
Default Tornado Shelters

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
Doing some looking on the web I came up with tornados in every state but Alaska. what I was wondering is not that they have them but what seams to be the normal f scale size and about how many a year normal do they get in the Springfield area say to Lebanon?
Doing some Property searches I find very few places say they have a storm shelters or basements is that normal they way they build now not to include them? Any one have an idea how much it cost to have one built? Also do most rebuild or just place a mobile home on the land to replace a home that was hit by a tornado?
Also what county(s) would Missouri people say is the best one around Springfield that is with in a commuting distance from Springfield?
RE: shelters, do a Google search for ''portable tornado shelter." RE: statistics, do a Google search for "southwest missouri tornado statistics."

Old 12-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Springfield to Lebanon, Mo is I-44 Storms seem to like Route 66

Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 AM

100 posts, read 494,282 times
I tell you, I lived in Idaho for 25 years, and experienced some -30 days. Springfield doesn't get nearly that cold, but sometimes, even a 20 degree day feels like you are freezing clear to the bone. They tell me that it is the humidity - the air is moist, so it feels as though you are cold AND wet.

Aside from that, there are the occasional ice storms, which basically smap power lines and cause general chaos.

However, all told, the weather here is pretty nice - way milder that Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area