Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM

26 posts, read 75,323 times

Advertisements

Ok recently I asked about towns around Springfield, and recieved all kinds of wonderful answers (thank you). In searching for homes online I did some research into Bolivar. The location seems fantastic. Can anyone give an opinion on the town?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Bolivar is a small farm town. I've been there a couple of times and was not particularly impressed. Of all the little towns around Springfield I like Marshfield, Willard, Republic, Rogersville and Ozarks best because the towns are somewhat larger than Boliver. The towns have character. Visitors are treated well. This is something to offer in way of history, location or shopping than some of the other locations.

The worst traffic is from Ozarks south to Branson. Republic is near a Civil War Battlefield. Willard is just a friendly little town with a lot of unexpected services for a town of its size and a good location. It isn't far from the fairgrounds, Walmart on National, Springfield airport, or Doctors Hospital in Springfield using I-44.

I've have friends who have lived in Rogersville for many years. Lots of nice people there.. .

Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM

82 posts, read 259,831 times
Being someone that grew up in Bolivar I would have to say the above is 100% incorrect about Bolivar. There is a lot of History that can be found there. Look up Pretty Boy Floyd, Bolivar will be listed. The Liberator, Simon Bolivar. Great school system with top notch programs for just about everyone. Sports, business, musical and art. The growth of Bolivar over the past 25+ years is huge compared to any 'small' towns around Springfield. People are friendly and it is typically a good market for homes and new business to come in. It is close to both Stockton/Pomdeterre Lakes, which is a nice bonus. It is less than hour 1/2 from Lake of the Ozarks.

I would think it would be a shame for you to not consider Bolivar as a great place to think about moving too.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I think Bolivar is a nice town. It has all the basic amenities you could want and a nice town square. The antique shopping around Bolivar is terrific. It's very convenient to Springfield, too, just 30 minutes away.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The route 13 corridor between Springfield and Bolivar is definitely not a great road. Speeders are common through that area, and the road does not support that high rate of speed.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM

According to the signs posted, they are widening Rt. 13 between Springfield and Bolivar next year (I think it is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2009 or Summer 2009). I have seen them working on it for at least the past couple of months. I personally do not like going north from Springfield to Bolivar because the road is curvy, and the speed limit is too low between these two towns going either way. Currently it's a 4 lane; I'd love to see it straighter, an extra lane wouldn't hurt, and the speed limit definitely needs to be raised. I'm hoping to be commuting to Springfield to go to school next fall, so I'm keeping my eye on this.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM

321 posts, read 838,378 times
The biggest problem is the 44/13 interchange. It is a nightmare during the rush hours of morning and evening. I believe they are looking at making adjustments to the intersection in the near future, as well as widening the highway itself.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
The biggest problem is the 44/13 interchange. It is a nightmare during the rush hours of morning and evening. I believe they are looking at making adjustments to the intersection in the near future, as well as widening the highway itself.
Absolutely! I haven't seen any signs up indicated they are going to do anything in that area, but it needs to be done. I learned quickly, when traveling on south 13 to Springfield, to STAY RIGHT, or I will be trapped among people trying to turn left onto 44. They need an extra lane on each side, and maybe two. Or, just having an overpass would be great, the traffic could merge off and be out of the way.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 AM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
According to the signs posted, they are widening Rt. 13 between Springfield and Bolivar next year (I think it is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2009 or Summer 2009). I have seen them working on it for at least the past couple of months. I personally do not like going north from Springfield to Bolivar because the road is curvy, and the speed limit is too low between these two towns going either way. Currently it's a 4 lane; I'd love to see it straighter, an extra lane wouldn't hurt, and the speed limit definitely needs to be raised. I'm hoping to be commuting to Springfield to go to school next fall, so I'm keeping my eye on this.
I thought you said previously that you were going to school in the Wichita area?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I moved again. I'm in the ex-husband relocation protection program. But he hasn't bugged me for a while so I think I'm okay. Kansas is nice but it wasn't Missouri. I had started to apply to WSU but now that I'm back here, I'm applying to Springfield, and to U of K in KC as a back-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area