Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 18,320 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
This is my first post, after having read many, many postings and the helpful responses.
So, here's my situation. I am a Missouri native, now in graduate school in Denver (moved here to go to school). In May of 2009, I will graduate with my master's in social work (and a sizable student loan debt). I will also be 45 years old, so I came up with what may seem like (and may very well be) a cockimamy idea to pay off my loan in less time. I am building a tiny house on a flatbed trailer. You can see pictures by googling Tumbleweed Tiny House. Living in the tiny house for awhile will mean no mortgage and no rent (or very low rent to park on someone's land).
I am so anxious to get back to luscious green land (as Denver is basically a high desert) and OUT of the city. I would like to move somewhere within 30 or 40 minutes of Springfield (for work) - perhaps Ozark (???) and to be close to my brother who lives in northern Arkansas.
So, here are my questions:
1) I am an absolute lunatic to live my tiny house in tornado territory???
2) Does anyone know anything about the area's employment market for social workers? (I specialize in working with elders).
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,368,519 times
Wink Tiny. Cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Under Pressure View Post
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, after having read many, many postings and the helpful responses.
So, here's my situation. I am a Missouri native, now in graduate school in Denver (moved here to go to school). In May of 2009, I will graduate with my master's in social work (and a sizable student loan debt). I will also be 45 years old, so I came up with what may seem like (and may very well be) a cockimamy idea to pay off my loan in less time. I am building a tiny house on a flatbed trailer. You can see pictures by googling Tumbleweed Tiny House. Living in the tiny house for awhile will mean no mortgage and no rent (or very low rent to park on someone's land).
I am so anxious to get back to luscious green land (as Denver is basically a high desert) and OUT of the city. I would like to move somewhere within 30 or 40 minutes of Springfield (for work) - perhaps Ozark (???) and to be close to my brother who lives in northern Arkansas.
So, here are my questions:
1) I am an absolute lunatic to live my tiny house in tornado territory???
2) Does anyone know anything about the area's employment market for social workers? (I specialize in working with elders).
Thanks everyone!
Wow...very cool idea, may-I-call-you-GUP...?

I don't know offhand about the area's employment market for social workers, but I applaud your idea about being willing to live in a tiny house.

I would, however...and please forgive but it's in my nature...suggest to you that you put a pencil to the idea of buying (now's the time if you have good credit, me friend) a 3 or 4 bedroom house (regular size) and renting out rooms to help you make the payment. You could very handily end up with nearly free housing, not to mention the appreciation involved and the tax deduction (!) and other neat things!

It's a tried and true way to get ahead. If you can deal with the roomies...

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable in a tiny house in a thunderstorm...we don't get much in the way of real tornados down where I live...but those thunderstorms can get a mite ferocious...

Good luck and send photos...and thanks for showing up!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks, Lake Junkie!

Let me clarify the rationale for building this tiny house as opposed to buying a house. (1) To maintain mobility until I am certain the exact locale in which I wish to permanently settle down. (2) To avoid getting into anymore debt at the present time. (3) To avoid having roommates!

I do remember Missouri thunderstorms...quite frightening indeed! I have been researching tornado activity and chose the Ozark / Taney County areas because they are a bit safer than most other parts of SW MO. Hmmm...so, I wonder if you (or anyone out there) might make suggestions about building my tiny house to protect against wind / hail, etc....or tell me about any particular weather-related hazards (aside from tornadoes) from which I should try to protect myself / home.

Oh, I'll definitely send photos...I'll be building in June.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,460,072 times
I'm curious-how does the bathroom and plumbing work in your tiny house? Do you hook into a system similar to an RV? Have you considered buying an older RV or trailer, it would have all the amenities of your house, including the mobility, and might save you in the long run as building supplies are costly. We bought a working 24-foot trailer for $3500.00. It would be plenty big for a temporary 1 person abode.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
I'm curious-how does the bathroom and plumbing work in your tiny house? Do you hook into a system similar to an RV? Have you considered buying an older RV or trailer, it would have all the amenities of your house, including the mobility, and might save you in the long run as building supplies are costly. We bought a working 24-foot trailer for $3500.00. It would be plenty big for a temporary 1 person abode.
Thanks for the suggestion! At this point, an RV is not an option as I already purchased the flatbed trailer for my little house. My intention is to build with the most environmentally-friendly, least toxic materials possible. And I want my house to be as self-sufficient as possible.

There are a number of options for the bathroom / plumbing situation. Some people don't install any plumbing and depend upon a main house. Some use a composting toilet, but shower at work. Other options include primitive showers, hooking up to a garden hose and using that in conjunction with a hot water heater. Needless to say, this particular living situation is not for everyone! I don't have all the details worked out yet, but I do know that I'll have a composting toilet and some combination of solar and propane for heating and cooking.

Really this whole plan is both an experiment and a huge leap of faith!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM

321 posts, read 835,804 times
While I applaud your great intentions. It would be much cheaper to rent, friend. Just a thought.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 35,465 times
Flooding. Make sure wherever you settle isn't likely to flood! :-)
I think your idea sounds very interesting. Good luck with that!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 AM

I looked at the pictures-they sure are cute, like those expensive kids' playhouses, only functional!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgordon13 View Post
Flooding. Make sure wherever you settle isn't likely to flood! :-)
I think your idea sounds very interesting. Good luck with that!
Then you build it on a flat-bottom BOAT and you got yourself a redneck houseboat! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,368,519 times
Cool Somebody say boat...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Then you build it on a flat-bottom BOAT and you got yourself a redneck houseboat! (sorry, couldn't resist)
Now you're talkin' the Lake Junkie's language...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area