Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,231,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
I believe Christian County saw the fastest growth in Missouri between 2000 - 2010 and based on annual census estimates, is still growing slightly faster than Taney County, which was the fourth fastest between 2000-2010.

2000 - 2010 census figures
http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...-growing-state
American FactFinder

Since 2010 estimates
American FactFinder - Results *
Missouri QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Branson population census figures for 2000 was 6,050 and estimates for 2012 are at 10,842.
Yes I was going to say that as well. Taney county isn't growing now anywhere near as rapidly as it was in the late 1990s or early 2000s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM

207 posts, read 432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Yes I was going to say that as well. Taney county isn't growing now anywhere near as rapidly as it was in the late 1990s or early 2000s
Is residential construction picking back up down there? I spend a lot of time in Ozark and Nixa and they are definitely growing again in the last year or so.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 PM

89 posts, read 156,582 times
You should honestly not have a problem within Springfield with having an interracial relationship. Maybe a few glances and smirks, but I highly doubt you will be harassed about it.

Outside of Springfield, you'll get a mixed bag. I once lived in a city outside of Springfield (Clever), where everyone was in shock when a black person was attending a school game to support his friend. Nobody said anything to him, but they all talked about it for weeks. I thought it was funny, because I grew up in LA and as many of you know, it's very culturally diverse there, so it wasn't a big deal. But to them...it was an anomaly.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
I doubt that anyone will care. Well, they will. But nobody will admit it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,862 times
Back when I lived in Springfield history hadn't been forgotten and even today it still lurks under the surface.

I had never seen,worked or went to school with a Black until I left Springfield in '72.My Granddaughter the other day was watching a commercial on TV for Cherios featuring a Mix Couple with a child.My Granddaughter told me she really had a problem with the commercial.She is 10.

My Stepdaughter and her Boyfriend was run out of a small town in Missouri by the KKK,she asked me if I knew of them? I told her I did they had been recruiting members in couple other towns.

Changing but it's still there.

1906 Lynching on the Square | KSMU

brushrunner

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM

122 posts, read 222,877 times
I visited this past week Branson-Missouri. I'm Hispanic (black hair, tanned skin) and my wife is Hispanic as well but is a natural blond with blue eyes. People treated us with respect and no one gave us "dirty looks".

Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM

141 posts, read 257,564 times
I think there are people who think negatively of interracial relationships in this area, but few would actually ever say anything. In fact, many would likely go the other direction and go out of their way to show how nice and accepting they are (the people who aren't secretly thinking otherwise). I have been out a little bit in town with a black male friend that I grew up with (I am white) and people seemed almost *overly* nice if you know what I mean, lol. It was ok though.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
When I moved to Springfield the adult black men knew how to step and fetch. It made me ill. I was not raised in the south. I was not raised to expect subservience from any person, expecially someone older than myself. America shunned the Monarchy form of government when it declared its independence for good reason.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,378 times
Springfield is a great place to raise a family. My wife is black and I'm white and we've lived in Springfield for over 20 years and have never experienced any issues. We have two kids and they attend Boyd and Pipkin, both with high percentage of minority students. The city is experiencing a lot of growth in many positive ways and some of the issues that people are bringing up on this thread are extremely outdated. A few bad seeds can be found in any place, but the overall city is welcoming of people of all races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area