Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 23,034 times

Advertisements

We're moving to MO and want to check out several areas before we decide exactly which city best suits us. We are very outdoors people and would like to spend our time in the Springfield area camping. If anyone knows of a state or national park near town please let me know. The closest I've found is Table Rock over 1 hr away. We want to be closer to check out neighborhoods and such. Also any reasonably priced private campground (NOT KOA's $25-$35 per night) would be great. We own undeveloped property that we camp at about 2-3 hrs away but it's to far to any major cities.
Also what is the best school in Springfield? I've heard Glendale H.S. but don't know what area that covers. I'm more concerned about grade school anyway. Any info is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 64,186 times
Do you have an RV? If so, I can highly recommend Ozark Highlands --- it's a regular mobile Home/RV park on South Glenstone, right next to WalMart and a lot of shopping. I've been here 6 months because I am full-timing in my RV and have friends and relatives in the area. We've had some illness in the family, so this is easy for me. At any rate, I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but I can certainly vouch for it as a good place to stay. There are a number of RV folks who come and go through here and it's a quiet place that is well-managed.

I agree it's wise to become familiar with an area before you settle. This is a great way to do it. I grew up in Michigan, moved to Colorado in my 30's for 15 years and spent the last 18+ years in SoCal. I must say, you will love Springfield. I never considered Missouri part of "the South" but it's Southern ways have certainly impressed me.

Let me know if you end up here. I'd love to meet you in person.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
There is plenty of Free or Low Cost through the Conservation Department.I'm an hour from Springfield,there is nice Primitive camping across the road from me at Lead Mine CA.Nice Camp sites with Fire Ring and Toilet.Mennonite Stores close by.

As far as schools I always like Willard,not in Springfield but close by.

Go to Conservation Areas Southwest Region

Missouri Department of Conservation

hillman

Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 23,034 times
Thanks for the info. As far as what we're camping in I'm not sure. We've always tent camped. But are considering a popup or older travel trailer very small. We're not coming that way until May sometime not sure of exact dates yet. DH got laid off so we're going to do some traveling and job hunting same time. He has already gotten job offers from a place in Iowa (to far north) and KC KS way to big of a city. We want a small to medium sized town for a quiet laid back outdorrsy type of life. That's why we're considering Springfield.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 33,672 times
Chadwick is 30 minutes drive time from Springfield. Tent camping is free or full service hook-up is reasonable priced. Mostly ATV and motorcycle riders there but come on down.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 15,699 times
we camp at stockton lake which is about an hour from springfield or Cape Fair which is at table rock lake about 30-45 mins from springfield, both are state campgrounds so prices are reasonable, you can go on mo.gov and find all of the campgrounds there. We sold our big trailer and down sized to a camper shell for our truck, this way we can still pull our boat and have a dry place to sleep. we use a screen tent to put over our tables, of course it is just the hubby and I and the 2 little dogs, so we are usually quite comfortable. Just be sure to have plenty of tick and bug spray on hand. Enjoy

Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM

429 posts, read 684,655 times
There is an awsome place to camp in Powell Mo. Ice cold water, canoe, tubes, trout fishing. Electric and water sites. We camp in the no electric area. They have showers and bathrooms. We take the kids and mini-dachshunds tubing, we float about a mile on tubes. The place is called Creekside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area