Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times

Advertisements

I have been reading here for many months,and finally decided to join.I am going to retire next July.My wife is much younger and works in the medical field.I currently have two daughters living in Battlefield,and Springfield,respectfully.They have both got me 90% talked into moving there from Illinois.I have visited there twice.Seems like the climate is more appealing,and the scenery,is better than all cornfields here in Rural Illinois.I am going for the 3rd visit this may for my daughters wedding.I would like to stay A few extra days to test the waters for home prices.As far as questions about missouri,Not a lot at this time. Just wanted to say hello,And I am sure I will be grilling you home folks at length,especially Lake Junkie,about reputable realtors,or even her,as I have not pinned down a specific area to live.Looking at Battlefield,Springfield{on the edge of town,do not like to look out my bedroom window at anotherhouse 10 feet away},nixa,Ozark,Republic,Etc.
Anyway..........GREETINGS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 AM

246 posts, read 629,287 times
Good luck to you! We moved here five years ago not
knowing a soul. Haven't regretted it one iota. It helps
to get kind of a price range in your head for a house and
then go from there and see what it can buy you. And
yes, the area which you want to live would help too.

Not knocking realtors in the least, but we are lucky as we
have been in the construction business for too many years
and know what to look for in a house. If you have someone
knowledgeable in this area to help you check out houses it
is certainly a plus, as many times the realtors are only as
good as the information the buyers give them, many times
their information is incorrect, and it isn't (usually) for the
purpose to deceive you.

Originally we had set our sights on Springfield, but quickly decided
it was too large of a city for us. That's how we ended up near
West Plains. And we love it here.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM

167 posts, read 451,644 times
welcome to the site! I agree that you need to be sure your Realtor can get good info about your builder, as many areas didn't have building codes until recently, some still don't. we have been here four years and its awesome, we love it here. have a nice stay, I bet you will like it.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 PM

thanks for the welcome and the advice.While there in November,I did a whirlwind tour of some open houses on a sunday.One of the newer ones I looked at had a large crack running from the ceiling to the top of a doorway that was in a bearing wall.Not good,and I told the realtor that this house was OFF my list.One of my biggest concerns is quality of construction in any house I may buy.I notice there are a lot of slab houses there,which makes it difficult to inspect the foundation.I do not like the idea of no basement because I prefer the furnace,pipes ETC. to be readily easy to get to.Plus if the critters want to get into the house,I would rather fight them in the basement........not the main floor.
I would like a house on the edge of town,but concerned about septic and especially the water from a private well.Is good water easily found there from drilling a well?Is the quality generally good?What is the future of available water in that area of Missouri??

Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Default Hiya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
thanks for the welcome and the advice.While there in November,I did a whirlwind tour of some open houses on a sunday.One of the newer ones I looked at had a large crack running from the ceiling to the top of a doorway that was in a bearing wall.Not good,and I told the realtor that this house was OFF my list.One of my biggest concerns is quality of construction in any house I may buy.I notice there are a lot of slab houses there,which makes it difficult to inspect the foundation.I do not like the idea of no basement because I prefer the furnace,pipes ETC. to be readily easy to get to.Plus if the critters want to get into the house,I would rather fight them in the basement........not the main floor.
I would like a house on the edge of town,but concerned about septic and especially the water from a private well.Is good water easily found there from drilling a well?Is the quality generally good?What is the future of available water in that area of Missouri??
Hiya jeffdoorgunner! Love your screen name...and the story behind it?

Quality of construction is so important, you're right. Down here in my neck of the woods, we have very few slab homes, mostly crawl or walkout basement. (Still chuckling at the image of you wrastlin' critters in the basement...) My dad was a builder so I grew up in the construction industry and I think that really helps me when it comes to looking at older homes. Even tho' we have no building codes in most areas, that doesn't mean there have been no quality built homes. You just have to know what to look for...

As far as I know there's water plenty in Missouri, and the quality varies. Down close to the lake you can get into some pretty silty spots, but nothing a filter won't fix! My suggestion is to talk to a long time well driller in whatever area you decide on.

Lotsa folks move here from IL...you'll love the taxes.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Hiya jeffdoorgunner! Love your screen name...and the story behind it?

Quality of construction is so important, you're right. Down here in my neck of the woods, we have very few slab homes, mostly crawl or walkout basement. (Still chuckling at the image of you wrastlin' critters in the basement...) My dad was a builder so I grew up in the construction industry and I think that really helps me when it comes to looking at older homes. Even tho' we have no building codes in most areas, that doesn't mean there have been no quality built homes. You just have to know what to look for...

As far as I know there's water plenty in Missouri, and the quality varies. Down close to the lake you can get into some pretty silty spots, but nothing a filter won't fix! My suggestion is to talk to a long time well driller in whatever area you decide on.

Lotsa folks move here from IL...you'll love the taxes.

I have a somewhat limited experience with house building myself.Worked for a year or so in new home construction,have done siding and roof jobs,and will attempt almost anything as a do it your selfer.
We have not pinpointed the exact town or area to live,although a lot depends on my wife being somewhere close to a hospital or medical facility for her work.My daughter currently lives in Battlefield,and that seems a nice area.our time frame is somewhat vague also,from next July or 6 to 12 months later.although I would like to take advantage of lower home prices and interest rates,before they go too high.which may involve buying there before we are ready to move.

As to my screen name........It was an occupation that I had for a period of time in 1971..........my obligation for that all expense paid vacation provided by our government to beautiful southeast asia...........

Which brings up a question......is there a very active VFW membership in southwest missouri???

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Default Oh, yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I have a somewhat limited experience with house building myself.Worked for a year or so in new home construction,have done siding and roof jobs,and will attempt almost anything as a do it your selfer.
We have not pinpointed the exact town or area to live,although a lot depends on my wife being somewhere close to a hospital or medical facility for her work.My daughter currently lives in Battlefield,and that seems a nice area.our time frame is somewhat vague also,from next July or 6 to 12 months later.although I would like to take advantage of lower home prices and interest rates,before they go too high.which may involve buying there before we are ready to move.

As to my screen name........It was an occupation that I had for a period of time in 1971..........my obligation for that all expense paid vacation provided by our government to beautiful southeast asia...........

Which brings up a question......is there a very active VFW membership in southwest missouri???
jeffdg...thank you, brother, for your courage. I know a few of your compatriots around here, and I do believe there are some very active groups 'round SW MO. Call here: Branson Veterans Task Force and talk to one of the guys...they can give you more detailed information.

One way or another, you absolutely must be here (down here at the border) for Veterans Week...see above site for details. It's very .

There are two good options in Springfield for medical, Cox & St. Johns.
CoxHealth - Springfield, MO
St. John's Hospital: Springfield Missouri (MO) Healthcare System

...and Skaggs Regional Medical here in Branson...Skaggs Community Health Center - Branson, MO

...and you might get your wife in on the new VA clinic in Branson...
Branson Daily News :: News :: Taking care of veterans (http://www.bransondailynews.com/story.php?storyID=8340 - broken link)

I do believe Branson is the most veteran friendly spot I've ever seen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area