Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,040 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who is Black but is open to all kinds of music is thinking of driving cross country and stopping at Branson and seeing some shows. I told him that he will likely be the only Black person in the audience. I looked at the local demographics of Branson and it seems like a 98% white town. I suspect the nature of the music makes the crowds at the music halls 99.99% white. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM

200 posts, read 632,520 times
I'm a black male from St. Louis and visited Branson a few times with family and I def. didn't feel out of place. Branson is a really welcoming place and I can't wait to go back and visit!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM

246 posts, read 629,112 times
I would think being a touristy town they would draw in
people from all races. I don't know when I was there
what the general makeup of the audiences were as I
really don't pay attention to stuff like that.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Talking We're pretty color blind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
I'm a black male from St. Louis and visited Branson a few times with family and I def. didn't feel out of place. Branson is a really welcoming place and I can't wait to go back and visit!
I'm so glad to hear that! I'm pretty color-blind myself...
Although this is a fairly fair skinned part of the world, I think you get what you expect to get around here. Friendly gets friendly...

Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,621 times
well said lake junky. people tend not to see color. they instead tend to see attitudes down here

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
I can guarantee one thing for sure, Your friend will be a heck of alot safer walking around Branson, than I would be walking around East St. Louis...........

Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,040 times
Since I asked the question I talked to some people who have been to Branson quite a few times. They said while a Black Man would not be arrested for showing up at a show he would be stared at likely. With so many County Western Acts and old performers from Lawrence Welk, it is not so popular with the hip hop crowd.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I suspect the nature of the music makes the crowds at the music halls 99.99% white. Am I right?
You're probably right. I've steered clear of Branson for 30 years, so I'm not sure what's there any more. I think, though, the nature of the music is mostly country or bluegrass, with a lot of pop and some swing and, oh, yes, "hillbilly comedy" thrown in. The white folks who travel to Branson to listen to those songs are not interested in picking fights.

Whenever they open a rap/hip-hop theater in Branson, though, everybody better look out.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
You're probably right. I've steered clear of Branson for 30 years, so I'm not sure what's there any more. I think, though, the nature of the music is mostly country or bluegrass, with a lot of pop and some swing and, oh, yes, "hillbilly comedy" thrown in. The white folks who travel to Branson to listen to those songs are not interested in picking fights.

Whenever they open a rap/hip-hop theater in Branson, though, everybody better look out.
LOL, I am still upset over what has become of Branson, it was such a pretty little town back in the '60's

Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A friend of mine who is Black but is open to all kinds of music is thinking of driving cross country and stopping at Branson and seeing some shows. I told him that he will likely be the only Black person in the audience. I looked at the local demographics of Branson and it seems like a 98% white town. I suspect the nature of the music makes the crowds at the music halls 99.99% white. Am I right?
Oh heck, we get black folk all the time around here. It's NOT an unusual sight, nor an unwelcome one.

Now Muslims. Nope. Not a one. Christian you know, everything - Jesus everywhere. Yikes.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area