Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

I was curious as to how your mail service works ( I watched the video of the drive to Hillman place) Does the mailman deliver to your place or do you drive to a mailbox or just have a PO box in the nearest town?
and what about any garbage service? Or even Propane in the winter? I bet that is a pretty rough road in wet weather? What have I forgotten??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 PM

81 posts, read 196,058 times
Quote:
( I watched the video of the drive to Hillman place)
I am curious about this video? Is it possible to share it or point me to it?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
Mailmen (or mailwomen) deliver mail down most gravel roads, even those waaaay out in the sticks. Most people have a mailbox at the end of their driveway.

Garbage service is iffy...some areas have a rural trash service, but they don't pick up that often and are often pricey. My folks store up their garbage and pay the closest town something like $1 a bag to take it...they just take in a pickup load when they have that much stored up. They also take their recyclables into town, and burn some other stuff in "burn barrels" (a metal 55 gallon drum which you burn trash in). Banana peels and other veggie/fruit waste goes in the compost pile.

Propane trucks also serve most of the Ozarks. You'd be surprised of the places one could get to. Again, my folks get 500 gallons at a time...I think the tanks gets filled up once or twice a year.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
I am curious about this video? Is it possible to share it or point me to it?

Thanks
//www.city-data.com/forum/9128058-post99.html

Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Mailmen (or mailwomen) deliver mail down most gravel roads, even those waaaay out in the sticks. Most people have a mailbox at the end of their driveway.

Garbage service is iffy...some areas have a rural trash service, but they don't pick up that often and are often pricey. My folks store up their garbage and pay the closest town something like $1 a bag to take it...they just take in a pickup load when they have that much stored up. They also take their recyclables into town, and burn some other stuff in "burn barrels" (a metal 55 gallon drum which you burn trash in). Banana peels and other veggie/fruit waste goes in the compost pile.

Propane trucks also serve most of the Ozarks. You'd be surprised of the places one could get to. Again, my folks get 500 gallons at a time...I think the tanks gets filled up once or twice a year.
Exactly... folks and g'folks and whatnots down those gravel county roads out in the sticks get their mail just as OA describes above - very few I knew had PO's, but those were available in the postal burg serving the area. And burn barrels and composting [but just little recycling] is most common.

Gotta say, watching that video again - haunting how similar that it's to neighbors and others (and myself somewhat) when lived south of Rolla... can't tell ya how bad tires and teeth wear out on those jaunts - makes a person appreciate paved roads, and also only going down that rocky path when necessary, combining trips as much as possible!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-07-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Organic waste I throw over the fence into the pasture. Mother Nature takes care of the rest. Burnable stuff I'll burn, aluminum cans I donate to a local Boy Scout Troop and what does not rot/burn/recylce I take to the dump every so often.. Not that much trash since I am single.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
We have a Mailbox up on the Highway about a mile from the house.The Post Office is about 6 miles away.

They won't deliver Propane to my place or deliver UPS or Fed Ex.

Funny on Propane.Stupid company in town neighbor paid for Tank and Gas.They brought Tank out then informed her that they couldn't bring Gas out to her.Then they was dragging their feet getting her money back to her.

hillman

Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Hillman,

You are among the last of the true Ozarkers.

Ozarks Boy

Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I'm fairly well into the sticks, but definitely not as much as Hillman. I have regular mail service, I get UPS and FedEx. Trash service is $16/month, they pick up weekly, up to 6 large trash bags, which I think is pretty darn cheap. I drive my recycling (cans and plastic only) 30 minutes away when I go to the larger town for shopping. I do believe propane service is available too. No cable internet unfortunately. They just made satellite internet available but it's a little pricey, plus there is a 2 year contract, so I'm sticking with old fashioned dial up for now.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Thats one thing we do have is DSL but we just got it.I remember we got a Phone 12 years ago and at the time we had Party Line.

No UPS kept getting stuck back here.

Had the Fire Department get lost they came back here turned a Truck over.

I had the Law come back here one had to serve papers on back.I took him on back with my old Wood Truck,didn't have Brakes that got him all excited.Then one time me and my wife was out front.Here comes bunch of Vehicals,seen they had State Plates.My wife asked what I had done? I told her I didn't know.They jump out with all kinds of Firepower.I'm wondering where I'm sleeping.They asked if I was so and so?I told them I was.Well they was on a Man Hunt,they wanted me to take them back to a Guys Camp.I told them the Guy was not who they were looking for but I would take them back there.Man after that I know where I would go if I was in trouble them Guys were so out of shape running them hills.

Forestry come back here to put out brush fire turned their Dozer over back here.

I had to have an Ambulance come get me.They had a 4WD Pickup come back get me.It still took over an hour.

Yea its fun back here.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area