Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 42,457 times

Advertisements

Like so many, we are now faced with joblessness and bills piling up. We've been talking about chucking it all - the expensive house and bills in our fancy suburban subdivision - and buying a fixer upper in a less expensive, rural area. We actually found one near Lowry City that meets our needs but want to make sure we know what we're getting in to.

I don't know much about the schools there. Can anyone advise me?

Also, for groceries and shopping - where does one go? My niece lives in Clinton and I know she drives to Belton to Target/Kohl's and the like.

What are the building permits like there? Are there hoops to jump through to work on a home? Does the town even have a police department or city hall?

I'm excited but also scared and would love some info. Are there many families there? Are there activities (fairs, etc). What do the kids do all day when they are out of school?

I know we'll adjust - it's just a matter of getting used to the more rural life again (we both grew up on farms near small towns). I'm just worried about the kids (14 and 9). Anyone have any insight for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I can't remember the name of the school the kids in Lowry go to (Lakeland?) but I've not heard anything bad about it. It pretty well covers the north part of St. Clair county and a bit of southern Henry county. School is what you make of it. There is also a small private Christian school in Lowry. I am not sure if they cover the high school years at this point, but if you have younger children, that would be another option. If you have very young children, there is a Head Start in Lowry.
There is a small grocery store in Lowry, right on the main drag. There's also two large gas station/convenience stores on 13 in Lowry. You could also go to Walmart in Clinton (no more than 20 minutes north); Clinton also has a Cato's clothing store, and any number of other stores you might need (dollar store, hardware stores, jewelery store, etc.). Lowry is about exactly halfway between Kansas City and Springfield and those are your closest towns with major malls. Warrensburg would be about 45 minutes away, if your kids are getting to be college age and would want to commute.
Sure there are lots of families there. I don't have kids...kids in the country do what they do. Lowry does have fairs (they just had a good size one a few weeks ago). Be aware of what is going on in surrounding towns - between Lowry, Osceola, Clinton, Montrose, etc. there's always something going on. Osceola (for example) is showing free (donations encouraged) movies in the park every Thursday night this summer. The Boy Scouts have a good size building for meeting right in Lowry, so I'm assuming they are quite active. Between that and sports, church activities, and the like, there's no reason for the kids to not have something to do, even in the summer.
The only negative thing I can say about Lowry, is the seemingly high frequency of car accidents from people going to/from Lowry crossing Hwy. 13. They've put up blinking signs to tell you when there are cars coming but I don't know that they have made a big difference. The traffic on 13 is fast, and you can't just pull out if a car is in sight, and you can't just fly across all 4 lanes, you have to stop in the middle. Those that don't, put themselves at risk.
Lowry does have a city hall, and I am 99% sure they have a police department. They are opening a local library right now, too.
Country living - either you like it or you don't. My only concern for you is jobs. There's not a wealth of local jobs in this area; it took me 3 months to find one when I moved out here. Many end up commuting a distance.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
There is also quite a problem with meth users and cooks. Druggieville would be a great nickname for this area south to osceola.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth0301 View Post
Like so many, we are now faced with joblessness and bills piling up. We've been talking about chucking it all - the expensive house and bills in our fancy suburban subdivision - and buying a fixer upper in a less expensive, rural area. We actually found one near Lowry City that meets our needs but want to make sure we know what we're getting in to.

I don't know much about the schools there. Can anyone advise me?

Also, for groceries and shopping - where does one go? My niece lives in Clinton and I know she drives to Belton to Target/Kohl's and the like.

What are the building permits like there? Are there hoops to jump through to work on a home? Does the town even have a police department or city hall?

I'm excited but also scared and would love some info. Are there many families there? Are there activities (fairs, etc). What do the kids do all day when they are out of school?

I know we'll adjust - it's just a matter of getting used to the more rural life again (we both grew up on farms near small towns). I'm just worried about the kids (14 and 9). Anyone have any insight for me?
Have you visited this part of City-Data yet? //www.city-data.com/city/Lowry-City-Missouri.html

Lowry City had one police officer as of 2006 but there are fewer than 800 people lioving there. It looks like all your shopping but for convenience itwems may have to be done elsewhere. As for building permits, much of MO has no building codes so permits aren't required. Your land. You build on it.

Good luck! But be prepared for culture shock on the parts of your children, your teen especially!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juda View Post
There is also quite a problem with meth users and cooks. Druggieville would be a great nickname for this area south to osceola.
Um...Lowry City is NORTH of Osceola. Perhaps you are thinking of some other town.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

321 posts, read 838,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juda View Post
LOL @ the haters of rural life in America always digging up these old threads trying to put their two cents in like anyone is going to take it with more than a grain of a salt. And as Christina said, you don't even know where Lowry City is if you think it's south of Osceola. Go get your facts straight and then come back and try again, although I don't think you will be back, just another one and done.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
LOL @ the haters of rural life in America always digging up these old threads trying to put their two cents in like anyone is going to take it with more than a grain of a salt. And as Christina said, you don't even know where Lowry City is if you think it's south of Osceola. Go get your facts straight and then come back and try again, although I don't think you will be back, just another one and done.
OH ! OH ! I know this one.

brushrunner

Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
WATCH OUT for the CAFOs in rural SW Missouri. MO has nearly NO regulations, licensing, or distance restrictions between CAFOs and residences. Do your research...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,075 times
Default I live in Lowry City, so here goes

If you don't aready have family here or have old school mates that live here then you don't want to move to LC. People will have nothing to do with "outsiders" as they are very clanish. Many, many drug dealers, users and it is the meth capital of Missouri.
Yes, there is a police man but you seldom see him and he is never around at night. LC does require building permits. You definately do not want your kids to attend Lakeland school. Check their record online where you can access records for all schools and you will discover they are at the bottom of the list. There is nothing for kids to do in this area. If you want to go to a real grocery store or buy clothing you must go to Belton or Springfield. Lowry City is half way between KC and Springfield so it is a distance to travel for any culture or shopping activities.
Maybe you should look in the country on the Kansas side of the border although prices are higher for housing. Good luck

Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM

I frequently see their police man. He's generally sitting just south of Alexander Farms gas station, clocking the southbound traffic on Hwy. 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area