Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM

22 posts, read 100,606 times

Advertisements

Looking for some help from locals or others who have visited recently.

Looking for a nice hotel fairly close to historic area.
Price range $150-200, nice family place for kids, pools (prefer Hilton/Marriott type hotels)

Also...need name of a show the whole family could enjoy...

and overall how is Silver Dollar City?

We have never been to Branson before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suns34 View Post
Looking for some help from locals or others who have visited recently.

Looking for a nice hotel fairly close to historic area.
Price range $150-200, nice family place for kids, pools (prefer Hilton/Marriott type hotels)

Also...need name of a show the whole family could enjoy...

and overall how is Silver Dollar City?

We have never been to Branson before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Wow...I wanna come stay with you There is a Hilton at the Branson Landing with that price range (I thinks its a Hilton) it is very nice. I must recommend Dixie Stampede, it is a western type entertainment. Country style dinner and a show. If you can't eat with your fingers than scratch that show and try Darren Romeo, combination of music, magic and even some comedy.

It depends on time of year (month) you visit on what Silver Dollar City's theme will be, you can check their website. SDC gets very busy with long lines but its a blast. It is a country/western theme park with shops, dining, booths, and rides. There are water rides, roller coasters, and kiddie rides and rides in between. Depending on the ages of your kids will depend on which part of the park they will like. If you come in the summer, I recommend a water ride or two. The mountain scenery around Branson is breath-taking. You'll love it...just don't let the traffic get to you, the people are pretty courteous but looking at it can be over-whelming. Use the back routes to get to SDC, there are maps everywhere.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 AM

I can't believe I forgot to mention to visit the Table Rock Dam and while your at it visit the fish hatchery at the base of it (its free). Your kids will love its awesome size and so will you. Or you can go one step further and do a "Ride the Ducks" tour, it takes you out by the Dam. Its the old military style vehicle/boats that go right into the Lake. I say its a must on your first trip to Branson.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
It might be our age but me and my wife enjoyed Shepard of the Hills and Sons of the Pioneers Show and Dinner.Branson Belle Show and Dinner is good too.

hillman

Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM

22 posts, read 100,606 times
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I really need some ideas on a place to stay or an area to avoid. It doesnt have to be a 5 star hotel, just
something nice and clean and for families. Is it better to stay at some
of the resorts on the outskirts or downtown area??

Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns34 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I really need some ideas on a place to stay or an area to avoid. It doesnt have to be a 5 star hotel, just
something nice and clean and for families. Is it better to stay at some
of the resorts on the outskirts or downtown area??

Honestly...I never noticed any "bad areas" but some of the "cheap" motels are cheap for a reason. The Hilton is in the historic part of Branson, near the Branson landing. The landing is nice with lots of shopping and extra fun family stuff. I have no ideas about the resorts, I stay close to the strip (76). Maybe someone else has got first hand experience with that.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM

20 posts, read 90,491 times
Definately stay at the Hilton by the landing. There are actually two Hiltons in downtown Branson, the Hilton Convention Center Hotel, and Hilton Branson Landing. I prefer the Hilton Convention Center, but that up to you. Here is the link: Branson Missouri, Branson Landing, Branson Real Estate, Branson Condos, Branson Contels just click on Lodging/hotel link. If you stay away from Downtown Branson, I suggest the Chatue on the Lake. It's awesome. Hope you have fun!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
The Comfort Inns - there are three, I believe - in Branson are all very nice, not quite Hiltons, but clean and comfortable with indoor pools, pretty fair breakfast in the AM, and nice.

There really isn't any one historical district in Branson except the old downtown. If you want history, visit Rose O'Neill's Bonniebrook, go to the Ralph Foster Museum at the College of the Ozarks, and go to Shepherd of the Hills.

Silver Dollar City is really just another theme park but with a frontier town twist. You'll find many of the same rides you'll see anywhere but with different names. It has its' charm but don't expect Disneyland by any means.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post

go to the Ralph Foster Museum at the College of the Ozarks, and go to Shepherd of the Hills.
Oooh, the Ralph Foster Museum has a real shrunken head too. We always go to the Best Western Music City (or something like that). It has an indoor pool for the kidlets to use up their energy. Not very fancy though.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
Even better than the shrunken head, they have the Clampett's old jalopy from "The Beverly Hillbillies"....and a lot of really cool historical stuff of all kinds!

If you go to College of the Ozarks, anyone, be sure to also eat at Dobyn's Dining Room (real good food), see the Fruitcake and Jelly Kitchens, check out the classic Chapel which looks like it was transplanted from Europe, and visit the Edwards Mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area