Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much! It sounds like things should work out very well for you, and because Nixa and Springfield are pretty close to one another, I'm surprised your company didn't want to budge on this. Hope you keep in touch here, and I wish her a good sophomore year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM

111 posts, read 392,595 times
Relax as long as you are in a safe area of Springfield most of the schools are good too. The city of Springfield is growing but it is not as large as St. Louis and Kansas City, so most of the schools will be good for your daughter.

COME AND ENJOY THE OZARKS.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:03 AM

22 posts, read 70,284 times
Won't retire for a few years yet; but considering SW MO for relocation. I'm near Wichita but want to retire somewhere with more trees, hills, greenery (more like VA where I was born/raised). Consider me a QB (only a quarter-way back to VA). I'll be comfortable financially, but still like a value...especially in real estate. In a 30 mile radius from Springfield, where would I find the best value in a home? Want to downsize to about 2,000 s.f., 2-3 br, single story, new or near-new. Thx for your feedback in advance.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwaynemcg View Post
In a 30 mile radius from Springfield, where would I find the best value in a home?
Depends on what value means to you. Do you want a house on acreage? How rural do you want to be?

In general, your money will go farther in the rural areas on the fringes of that 30-mile radius. You're also more likely to find cheaper real estate north of Springfield. With that said, your criteria are broad enough that it's nearly impossible to pinpoint a specific location. You could find a great deal anywhere within that radius.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Cool 30 mile radius...

Quote:
Won't retire for a few years yet; but considering SW MO for relocation. I'm near Wichita but want to retire somewhere with more trees, hills, greenery (more like VA where I was born/raised). Consider me a QB (only a quarter-way back to VA). I'll be comfortable financially, but still like a value...especially in real estate. In a 30 mile radius from Springfield, where would I find the best value in a home? Want to downsize to about 2,000 s.f., 2-3 br, single story, new or near-new. Thx for your feedback in advance.
Hey Wichita...

Everywhere around here has more hills 'n greenery than where you are!

We're a great place to retire...and where within 30 miles you choose depends a lot on YOU. You can find great real estate deals all over, that should not be your first consideration. Rather I'd ask you what your retirement looks like, when you imagine it... Do you see yourself wanting to golf a lot? Fish a lot? Get on a community library committee and connect with other people your age a lot? Want to have a workshop and make doll furniture for the grandkids? Do you have a partner, or is it all about what you like?

What I normally suggest is that you take your list of "wants" and put one on each sticky note...lay all the sticky notes out on the kitchen table...(each of you do this separately if there's more than one of you)...and then prioritize them. An easy way to do that is just pick up two of them and say, "If I had to give up one of these, which one..."

Once you have a list of priorities it will help you decide whether you'll be happy in a small berg or if you need to be 5 minutes to latte'. Whether you will be spending a lot of time on the new bass boat or at the Mall.

There are a lot of nice bedroom communities around Springfield, if you choose not to be in town. Each of them has it's own character, positives and drawbacks, but it's going to depend on your personal preferences as to which one you would like best. Visit them. Go to the local chamber of commerce, visit the diner. And I might suggest walking into a local real estate office and just ask for the history of their area.

Best of luck!

~Lake Junkie

Old 04-01-2010, 11:39 PM

Depends on what value means to you. Do you want a house on acreage? How rural do you want to be?
In general, your money will go farther in the rural areas on the fringes of that 30-mile radius. You're also more likely to find cheaper real estate north of Springfield. With that said, your criteria are broad enough that it's nearly impossible to pinpoint a specific location. You could find a great deal anywhere within that radius.[/quote]

Basically, $ per s.f. In looking over realtor.com it seems the best values happen to be in the larger homes (2k to 3k sf). I can afford but don't want a monstrosity, an older home with lots of maint. problems, nor a home with lots of acreage...been there done that. I will be traveling much more than now, like wintering south. I could tell you specifically in Wichita and surrounding areas where the best R/E deals are. I will not be looking for the best school district since my kids are grown; and those districts tend to have a higher R/E property millage rate. I'm really looking for a town not too far out from the city, with moderate growth rate, moderate taxes, and a home from 0-10 yrs old.
Like everyone else, you see a home you like and all your parameters fly out the window! I'm just trying to get a general idea of where I should be looking.
thx

Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Lake Junkie; thx for your comments. Your comment about the lack of greenery over here is spot on. You hear the state tree in KS is the telephone pole??? Actually, the people are nice, there's a lot to do in Wichita...and jobs are plentiful as long as people are buying airplanes!
Yes, there are two of us; not a fisher...could become a golfer. Do a lot of family history research in libraries and appreciate an academic atmosphere. Crazy about sports, football in particular. Have a green thumb but don't want an immaculate garden (anymore...).
My neighbor is retiring to Lake of the Ozarks; I like the lake up there but like Springfield better. I've thought about an upscale condo or even a highrise retirement area, but definitely don't want stairs because of my wife's joint problems. What do you guys hear about Bella Vista AR, your neighbor to the south? My inlaws own a second home there...but like all other NEAR-seniors I'm not sure I want to hang around all those old folks all the time...LOL
thx again.
Wayne

Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Basically, $ per s.f. In looking over realtor.com it seems the best values happen to be in the larger homes (2k to 3k sf). I can afford but don't want a monstrosity, an older home with lots of maint. problems, nor a home with lots of acreage...been there done that. I will be traveling much more than now, like wintering south. I could tell you specifically in Wichita and surrounding areas where the best R/E deals are. I will not be looking for the best school district since my kids are grown; and those districts tend to have a higher R/E property millage rate. I'm really looking for a town not too far out from the city, with moderate growth rate, moderate taxes, and a home from 0-10 yrs old.
Like everyone else, you see a home you like and all your parameters fly out the window! I'm just trying to get a general idea of where I should be looking.
thx
If you're not looking for much in the way of land, I really don't know how much money you'll save on $/sq ft by getting farther away from Springfield. Especially not in the way of homes less than 2k sq ft. With that said, I would look around Willard, Sparta, Fair Grove or Marshfield.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go to Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS Springfield MO Real Estate Main Page and play around with the various search features to get a feel for prices in this area.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
It's really more a question of.....

Highway 160 or 65?

Personally, I prefer 160 - ergo, Nixa would be my choice.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's really more a question of.....

Highway 160 or 65?

Personally, I prefer 160 - ergo, Nixa would be my choice.

20yrsinBranson
wwaynemcg isn't going to like the taxes in Nixa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area