Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
reddell1: Welcome to the area. I just hope you make a living from your livestock, cause there are no jobs around here...unless you want to drive an hour and a half away (longer in bad weather). There's only one grocery store in Hartville, so if you want a Walmart or another choice for groceries, you can go to Marshfield or Mountain Grove. How "rough" will you be roughing it? It's already feeling like fall...cold weather's coming!
I think I remember you. Weren't you thinking of moving to Texas to be closer to your son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,879 times
Hello, everyone! I am still laughing at the mental pics of us running around nude! Scary!!!!! lol! NO WE ARE NOT HIPPIES! Thanks to the good LORD! We are still looking at the property. Have to get up there on a weekend to see. It sounds like what we want. I am a registered nurse. Single with 9 children total and 5 under 18 at home. I will not be working much. Just farming and milking! A few weeks of hot humid weather sounds like a dream. I can handle ice storms( advance warning) and I know I can't get away from tornadoes even in Texas. And yes People do think I am crazy! But I want to have the peace and quiet of life in Missouri. I have friends from texas that have moved to Mansfield area on 40 ac. They are loving the people and culture of Missouri. Yes I think I can live without Walmart being just down the road! Thanks, for all the replies. Makes me feel better. Di'Anne

Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM

No I am moving to Missouri not to texas. Thanks,

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
I think I remember you. Weren't you thinking of moving to Texas to be closer to your son?
Yes, silvermouse, I was hoping to move to Houston but the reality is, I don't think I can afford it, and not sure I would like it. I would love being nearer to my son, but I have to be realistic. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just try to pick a town nearby and move into town...I really don't like living 15 miles from the closest town. I probably need to start a new thread or something before I ramble on too much on this one. Thanks for remembering me!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Weird, ain't it?

But they're Texans; they raise cattle, hogs and chickens, they homeschool their kids. They sound like my kind of folks. These are the people I like to encourage to come to rural Missouri. They'll appreciate what we have, and what we don't have. It's the outsiders the rest of you are bringing in that disturbs me.

I just hope these folks aren't nudist hippies.
Graytabbie...Welcome to the Neighborhood! (Love y'r screen name...btw!)

Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 AM

grey tabbie, I would move to town before I would move to Houston. Houston is a noisy, busy, fast paced city with tons of pollution. It is also a prime target for hurricanes. Yes It is very expensive as well as hard to get around due to traffic at all hours. Crime is a problem too. We have some small towns that are very calm, friendly and enjoyable within 1-2 hours of Houston that I could recommend. But it is always better to visist Houston than to live there. That's my opinon of course. Do you have a big place or land? Might could work a trade! LOL

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddell1 View Post
grey tabbie, I would move to town before I would move to Houston. Houston is a noisy, busy, fast paced city with tons of pollution. It is also a prime target for hurricanes. Yes It is very expensive as well as hard to get around due to traffic at all hours. Crime is a problem too. We have some small towns that are very calm, friendly and enjoyable within 1-2 hours of Houston that I could recommend. But it is always better to visist Houston than to live there. That's my opinon of course. Do you have a big place or land? Might could work a trade! LOL
Sorry reddell, I don't own any real estate. I'm fortunate for now that I'm living in what was my mom's mobile home. I'm currently unemployed with not much hope of finding anything. I'm really depressed. My son even suggested a smaller town in Texas, Brenham. We drove there on my visit and toured the Blue Bell cremery...yum! What towns were you going to suggest? I'm still up in the air about a move. I feel kinda trapped where I am with few prospects of work or home ownership (oh, I'm in mid-50s and divorced with 2 cats).

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM

11 posts, read 38,279 times
It really sounds like you will love it in the Hartville area coming from Texas. I only hope and pray that your children will not be discouraged to drop out of school and not attend college "to work the farm." It's a common way of life in the area and it is heartbreaking to me and sad. I have nothing against farming, I think it's great. What I am against is the children dropping out of school to work them.
Poor Pathetic Nexxie

Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
It really sounds like you will love it in the Hartville area coming from Texas. I only hope and pray that your children will not be discouraged to drop out of school and not attend college "to work the farm." It's a common way of life in the area and it is heartbreaking to me and sad. I have nothing against farming, I think it's great. What I am against is the children dropping out of school to work them.
Poor Pathetic Nexxie
We love you Nexxie!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
Poor Pathetic Nexxie
Hi, Nexxie. Nice to *see* you again. I'm surprised you're still here. Have you adjusted favorably or are you still planning a move back to "civilization." If the latter, how's it coming.

We finally made it to the Ozarks in September and bough a home on Table Rock Lake. We're 18 miles from anything but after California, we love it here.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area