Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Sounds idyllic! Bet she'll have lots of playmates in Missouri who also love horses. Is she bringing a mare to breed or a stallion, or starting from scratch?
We have a mare and a gelding, mare would still be young enough to breed when we get back there. She's from good lines, but we would be doing it more for fun that profit.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-07-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: repair quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
[quote=Cali BassMan;11089444]
Quote:
Sounds idyllic! Bet she'll have lots of playmates in Missouri who also love horses. Is she bringing a mare to breed or a stallion, or starting from scratch?[/QUOTE)

We have a mare and a gelding, mare would still be young enough to breed when we get back there. She's from good lines, but we would be doing it more for fun that profit.
Here's a link that might be of interestMQHA...Welcome to the Missouri Quarter Horse Association!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Curmudgeon, maybe she would like to come out of retirement to work on establishing the network between doctors and midwives in the Springfield area. Sounds like there is a need for their services. Is midwifery covered by insurance plans? Maybe she still has some contacts with physicians who would be amenable to being the physician on call, if there was an emergency that required hospitalization? What an awesome job. Kudos to your wife.
Doubtful, Tambre. She midwifed in her 20s and 30s and dearly loved it but she was also raising two daughters with no support whatsoever from their father. A 24/7 career with no set income and no benefits was not sustainable and she left the field in 1985. Since, she delivered two of her grandchildren at a hospital but she has no desire, at this time and at 61, to re-enter the field.

Nurse-Midwives are covered by some insurances but do most of their deliveries in hospitals. Free-lance midwives are not, to my knowledge, generally covered. The medical establishment has seen to that.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
My goodness, is that all, lol? I'm going to have to look into getting a copy of some of your work, maybe from the Amazon site (they only have one copy left). Just trying to figure out which writer you are from the link posted above. Short stories are one of my favorite things to read. That is an impressive list of publications that you have written for. Can you us all a little more about the Ozark Writers League?
Here's a link to the main website:

Ozark Writers League Home Page

They have quarterly meetings at the College of the Ozarks among other things.

I also belong to Missouri Writers Guild; publication credits are required to join this group but it's a very good, solid organization.

A link to it is here:

Missouri Writers Guild Index

If it helps, my initials are LASM to figure out which writer I am.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,418,342 times
I have been in Missouri for about 2 1/2 years now. I can't relate to any problems women may have in the work place, because my work place is my home. I have not encountered any problems with being a woman here.. at least nothing different than I encountered back in Indiana before the move.
I love my little piece of Heaven here in the boonies and would not give it up for the world.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

I also have this concern. It seems like so many young girls are not prepared to make good choices in their teen years. They get pregnant, or maybe they finish school and get too preoccupied with their boyfriend and their minimum-wage jobs to get education or training for more advanced jobs. I think that there needs to be better and more role models for these young women, so they can make better choices. I have a friend right now with a bright 16 year old daughter, whose plan is to graduate a semester early and then get a minimum wage job to save up for college for a year or two. I bet anything, she gets pregnant before that ever happens...just seems to be the way it works around here. .
This is a much bigger problem in MO compared to nearly all the other Midwest states. Another issue is rural statism. Fewer younger people are willing to leave rural MO for jobs in metropolitan counties or to go off to college. That is why the demographics in rural MO are often quite a bit younger compared to nearly all other parts of the rural Midwest.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-12-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Yes, I have noticed that too! On one hand, I think it's great that they love where they live so much, and want to remain near family and friends. But many seem so reluctant to consider leaving at least temporarily for school, or even commuting to college. Competition for minimum-wage or slightly higher jobs is very fierce, and employers have a hard time recruiting locals for positions requiring a college degree. I think for the position I have, I was the only applicant with a degree, and fortunately also had several years of applicable experience. That blew my mind because where I came from, people with my degree are a dime a dozen.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Yes, I have noticed that too! On one hand, I think it's great that they love where they live so much, and want to remain near family and friends. But many seem so reluctant to consider leaving at least temporarily for school, or even commuting to college. Competition for minimum-wage or slightly higher jobs is very fierce, and employers have a hard time recruiting locals for positions requiring a college degree. I think for the position I have, I was the only applicant with a degree, and fortunately also had several years of applicable experience. That blew my mind because where I came from, people with my degree are a dime a dozen.
That is pretty sad but does not surprise me. Teachers and administrators need to emphasize the value of higher education at the high school level on down the system. Another problem with statism is wage stagnation. When you have many people competing for similar types of jobs, employers often undercut on wages.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
There's no need to go far away to college when the Ozark region is home to several outstanding colleges and universities. In fact, enrollment in most is hitting record numbers this year as people try to retrain for a better career in the recession.

Missouri Southern State University (Joplin)
Missouri University (formerly SMS) Springfield
College of the Ozarks (near Branson)
Crowder College (Neosho) It's a junior college but can give kids a pretty decent start.

Although in Kansas, Pittsburg State University is now offering in-state tuition rates to students who live in MO counties bordering Kansas.

Missouri also offers the A+ Program for students; one of the best in the nation.

There are many young people attending college in the area.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Since there appears to be alot of Missouri women on this thread I would like to post something here. I have been spending alot of time in Missouri lately. Especially southern Missouri. Fishing. Staying at local motels.Shopping in local stores. I dont understand why, when the conversation comes up between men as to where the best looking women can be found,Missouri is never mentioned. MY GOD! I have seen and met SO MANY absolutely beautiful women in Missouri that I dont understand how the guys arent aware of this! Come to think of it, maybe I should keep this info to myself! Just wanted to say to you Missouri gals--Y'all are fine!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area