Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaze View Post
Sorry..I missed this post.

Snakes and critters I am not familiar with. The snake thread spoke of many different kinds..some are wanted in gardens because they eat rodents and insects...but some are deadly. Which ones are deadly and which are friendly..and which ones can strike and kill one of my dogs. The place we plan to move is in the country, so I am sure there are snakes and such. I just wanted to be sure I kept my dogs safe from unknown critters. Unknown to ME, due to the different species in a different state. Sorry I was not more clear.
I am sure that there must be a site that will tell you about all the less than lovely critters in Mo.
Please guard your pets against coyotes, and yourself from the feral hogs.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM

27 posts, read 58,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I cannot even begin to imagine moving to a state that I had never even visited. I urge you to think about that. Is that really what you want to do?

I am moving to Springfield, probably sometime in 2010, but I have been spending all my vacation time there for the past four years, just exploring the town and that part of Missouri. I want to know what I am getting myself into and what I will like and dislike, before spending the money, time, and heartache to move.
Yes. I know. I have been lax in doing this. But it is a confusing situation and too time consuming to explain here. Suffice it to say, things have turned out as I hoped and the time is coming soon that if we want to come out there...we will have a home waiting for us. The question is...and none of this is anyone's "fault" but ours, is....is this the right thing to do at our age? Our families are here. Unknown families may be there. But..we would be alone. Won't know a soul except one person. Hubby makes friends easily. I am like a hermit, but also very friendly when I happen to be around humanity. I prefer being alone, with animals and nature. Still....I will truly BE alone there, not knowing anyone. I don't know abotu the healthcare there. I would have to find a new doctor. Everything would be new. And it is 5 states (give or take) away. The lure? Affordability. Should I live here forever and continue to have roommates because we cannot afford the horrible rent for the privilege to live here? Or live free, with no roomies and amongst strangers, for the privilege of living there? Trade pacific ocean and perfect weather here...for a lake and 4 seasons there?

Its very scarey. And alluring as well. God, I wish I was 20 again. Oh. No. Never mind. If I were 20, I would move to Maui. LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 06:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Spiders and snakes and hillbillies that shoot their pets. Women who are treated as nothing due to the "good ol boy" network. "Californians please don't come here" sorta thing.

I'm having second thoughts, even though my dad, grandparents and great grandparents came from Mo and Ar both..I am pure Californian through and through although my roots are from your neck of the woods.

Someone tell me something good, cuz what I've been reading is giving me doubts on whether this is a wise decision to move to a state I've never set foot in myself at my age (57).
I'm sure by now you realize that no matter where you go there are going to be negatives and positives. It just depends heavily on what your priorities are. People here DO shoot their pets. Mainly because they cannot afford to have them "put down" by vets and it is more humane to have it be over and done with than to have them suffer. People have been shooting their pets for as long as there have been guns, and probably before that they were killing them some other way. It's nothing new and it's nothing that should be shocking. As for the "good old boy" network. Yup it exists in spades, either you learn to live with it and work with it, or you end up being constantly frustrated because it's not like "someplace else".

On the other hand, most places still have people who don't lock their doors, neighbors who look out for one another, people who will help you when they need it and never ask for anything in return. The country side is filled with natural beauty that will take your breath away and people will wave and say "HOWDY" even when they don't know you.

Just depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I assume you are leaving The Former California because of problems created by the...um...problems. I think you'll be welcome in Missouri, unless you bring some of the problems with you. Califorians are absolutely hated by people in Washington State, because when they fled California, they brought some of the problems with them. Washington State used to be as polite a place as Minnesota (ever heard of Minnesota Nice?) and Iowa. Not any more. Instead of stop sign intersections taking forever, because everybody was insisting everybody else go first, people are dying like flies, because problems from California routinely run stop signs. And the DMVs, emergency rooms, and public schools, look like they're in foreign countries.

Rumours that some rural areas in Missouri and Arkansas are controlled by criminal Hillbilly gangs are absolutely true. And they've associated with gangs of foreign origin, in order to broaden their distribution networks. Missourians are the sweetest people in the world, for the most part, but just beware. If someone intimates that your presence in a rural community is cramping their style.... take it very seriously. Consider yourself lucky to get the warning.

But if you're expecting everything to be rosy once you've made it out of the Once-Golden State, I've got news. The whole nation is dying. California is just the limb where the Gangrene is showing first.
Here is some of the gangs of foreign origin.They all wear Black and speak German. Got to watch them.

hillman

Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 AM

20 posts, read 90,471 times
Default Make your own Decision.

Quote:
Yes. I know. I have been lax in doing this. But it is a confusing situation and too time consuming to explain here. Suffice it to say, things have turned out as I hoped and the time is coming soon that if we want to come out there...we will have a home waiting for us. The question is...and none of this is anyone's "fault" but ours, is....is this the right thing to do at our age? Our families are here. Unknown families may be there. But..we would be alone. Won't know a soul except one person. Hubby makes friends easily. I am like a hermit, but also very friendly when I happen to be around humanity. I prefer being alone, with animals and nature. Still....I will truly BE alone there, not knowing anyone. I don't know abotu the healthcare there. I would have to find a new doctor. Everything would be new. And it is 5 states (give or take) away. The lure? Affordability. Should I live here forever and continue to have roommates because we cannot afford the horrible rent for the privilege to live here? Or live free, with no roomies and amongst strangers, for the privilege of living there? Trade pacific ocean and perfect weather here...for a lake and 4 seasons there?

Its very scarey. And alluring as well. God, I wish I was 20 again. Oh. No. Never mind. If I were 20, I would move to Maui. LOL
Hi. I just wanted to step in here and say PLEASE don't base any of your decisions off of this message board. I'm not saying the people that post on here are bad or misinformed, you just have to visit and get a good feel of the city yourself. I could go on and on about how great Springfield is, but you are the ultimate one who will make that decision. I hope you find your own paradise where ever you live. Good luck and god bless!

-Aaron.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am sure that there must be a site that will tell you about all the less than lovely critters in Mo.
Please guard your pets against coyotes, and yourself from the feral hogs.

I don't have one for spiders but this one is good for snakes:

Snakes of Missouri (http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/ - broken link)

Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
I don't have one for spiders but this one is good for snakes: Snakes of Missouri (http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/ - broken link)
MO common spiders can be found here: Common Missouri Spiders and G7386 Spiders | University of Missouri Extension
Check the upper left & left side boxes of both links for other resources

Also, check out the links herein too, good resource: http://www.motrekkers.com/2008/09/da...eparation.html

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
No need to give up bagels and pizza if you move to Missouri; we have both even in the small town in southwest MO where I now live. And if you don't like "chain" pizza, you can always make your own - I do!
I appreciate the post, but the pizza and bagels are not the same here as on the east coast. I've tried many places and haven't found anywhere that comes close. Just like I can't get BBQ in New Jersey nearly as good as what Missouri has to offer.

I have pets and no one shoots them. If your cat or dog goes into your neighbor's yard and harasses their livestock, yes, your pet might get shot. But I think that is the only risk. If you let your dog or cat outside, have a fenced in area for them.

I relocated here 2 years ago and I do miss my family. They are almost all 1200 miles away. But I don't really miss living on the east coast. There's no way to be 100% sure if you'll be able to tolerate not seeing your family too often until you are here, and have been here for at least a year or so, I think. I try to fly out to see family about every 9 months.

FYI If a user is getting on your nerves, you can block them, so you don't see their posts. Here's how:
//www.city-data.com/forum/about...re-button.html

Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Bhaze
Listen, you really do need to visit before moving. You need to visit in every season too. You should visit serveral times in each season. Unfortunaley it sounds like you haven't done your homework yet. Don't make the same mistake as others because Missouri is a long way to go just to miserable.
Regarding animals, my dogs are part of my family just as yours are. I do see a diferent mindset with my rural Missouri relatives, cows, chickens, hogs etc, are worth money and dogs are quickly dispatched when messing with farm animals. So if you move to arural area keep your city dogs close by, I know I will..........

Old 10-07-2009, 05:24 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I appreciate the post, but the pizza and bagels are not the same here as on the east coast. I've tried many places and haven't found anywhere that comes close. Just like I can't get BBQ in New Jersey nearly as good as what Missouri has to offer.

I have pets and no one shoots them. If your cat or dog goes into your neighbor's yard and harasses their livestock, yes, your pet might get shot. But I think that is the only risk. If you let your dog or cat outside, have a fenced in area for them.
Oh, I agree that pizza and bagels aren't "the same" here as other locations but neither are many regional foods. That's par for the course. I can, however, remember when neither pizza nor bagels could be found in MO. And there are a few places that do serve authentic, Old World pizza - which as you also know is nothing like chain pizza.

BBQ is also big in Memphis and Texas but neither version is the same as KC BBQ.

As for animals in rural areas, getting shot is not the only danger or threat. When I lived in the country, we lost many cats to other natural hazards, everything from snakes to badgers and other creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area