Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,602 times

Advertisements

Hello my significant other and I are planning on relocating to the Springfield area. I am a native floridian (fort lauderdale) and she grew up in plant city but spent most of her adult life in st petersburg.

My first question is that we are a lesbian couple been together 3 years. What area Springfield or Branson are the most "gay-friendly"? She wants to be more of the country but I am thinking within Springfield would be better. Are there high numbers of hate crimes or just isolated incidents?

My next question is what part of springfield should one stay away from in regards to crime and drugs? I know just like with here in south florida there are areas that are better than others so I just want to know the ones that are known to be better. Thanks.

Finally, I have read many posts about the various critters suh as chiggers and snakes and such. Obviously one would come across such annoyances in a more rural area. However, how bad are they within Springfield? What exactly are chiggers and how do you avoid them or prevent them from biting you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,986 times
Springfield over Branson, most definitely.

Isolated incidents on occasion, few hate crimes but it's not impossible.

Chiggers are almost impossible to avoid; they are larvae mites and can't be seen with the naked eye. They tend to be in vegetation, grass, weeds, etc. Staying out of the grass with bare feet has been about the only way I can prevent them. They itch like crazy once you're bitten.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,602 times
Thank you. I have never been one to walk outside barefoot so that is good lol

Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
An openly lesbian couple is going to stand out in Springfield, no matter where you are. The area is pretty conservative in nature and people will take notice of same-sex couples. You're not going to be harassed everywhere you go and a lot depends on how you and your partner present yourselves to the public. Flamboyant behavior is frowned upon by many. That doesn't mean that people are going to physically or verbally abuse you, but I'd anticipate some snickers and whispers from time to time. Again, the key here is from time to time.

Chiggers are tiny little bugs that bite your skin and create itchy, irritated areas. I spend quite a bit of time outdoors and very rarely have issues. When I do, the irritation goes away after a couple of days. You can help avoid them by wearing taller shoes/boots and socks while outside. I'm not sure about bug sprays, since I don't normally use them. I assume they would help as well, though.

A lot has already been said in this forum about the "best" locations in Springfield. In general, SE Springfield is deemed the most desirable and North Springfield is at the bottom of the ladder. That's all relative, though. Best to spend some time in the area and settle in a location that best suits you.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Seems to me that it depends on what the Op and her partners plans are as to whether Branson or Springfield would be best for them. School? Work? Scenery? Closeness to outdoor rec activities? I also think they will find just as much tolerance for their lifestyle in Branson as they will in Springfield. More tolerance actually. Branson is plum full of people from different parts of society and all parts of the country.Seeing 2 women walking down the street holding hands isnt uncommon or frowned upon in many parts of the country. Because other parts of the country arent as conservative as the folks in Springfield. So I think the Op should at least give Branson a look. Good luck in your move.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Check out this link for everything you need to know (and some you don't) about chiggers:
//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...-chiggers.html

Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
My Baby Sister was Openly Lesbian she worked for the City of Springfield and bought a House just out side of town on the West side.I never heard of her having any problems in town.

hillman

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollinlinda View Post
Hello my significant other and I are planning on relocating to the Springfield area. I am a native floridian (fort lauderdale) and she grew up in plant city but spent most of her adult life in st petersburg.

My first question is that we are a lesbian couple been together 3 years. What area Springfield or Branson are the most "gay-friendly"? She wants to be more of the country but I am thinking within Springfield would be better. Are there high numbers of hate crimes or just isolated incidents?

My next question is what part of springfield should one stay away from in regards to crime and drugs? I know just like with here in south florida there are areas that are better than others so I just want to know the ones that are known to be better. Thanks.

Finally, I have read many posts about the various critters suh as chiggers and snakes and such. Obviously one would come across such annoyances in a more rural area. However, how bad are they within Springfield? What exactly are chiggers and how do you avoid them or prevent them from biting you?
You should be fine in Springfield. There are no really, really bad areas. Maybe a few places I wouldn't walk alone at night, but no place where you will risk getting shot just by "being there".

Not as many ticks and chiggers in town. I think they spray the parks and such. Mostly you will find them in rural areas. If you take a shower or rub your legs and arms with a wet washcloth and towel after exposure you should be ok for chiggers. As for ticks, a good "tick exam" is always appropriate after being outside in tall grass in the summer. Don't be afraid, just yank them off. Keep an eye out for a red bullseye rash around the bite area though - which is an indication of Lyme disease.

Anything new is scary if you aren't used to it. Don't worry you'll get used to it. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 90,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollinlinda View Post

Hi Hollinlinda, welcome the forum. I always say you have to make a visite for yourself before you move. That being said, I have many openly gay friends that live in Springfield and Branson. They have never had any problems with people being hatefull or discrimitave towards them. I would probably say Springfield would be the best bet. There are some great neighborhoods that are deemed the "Gay" neighborhoods around MSU, but couples live all over the city. I know two lesbians that own a dog daycare/clinic off of Sunshine street in SE Springfield, and a lot of their customers are conservatives and they have never had anyone discriminate or leave their business because they are gay. I live 10 min. out of Springfield city limits and we have gay male neighboors who have built a very nice home. One of them is actually the head of the Ozarks Food Pantry. All that being said Branson has quite a few gays as well since there are so many theaters down there. My friends down there live on a golf course in an older community and have never had trouble. As far as chiggers go, if your in the city you wont get them. If your in the country, now thats another story, but if you keep up your lawn it's not bad at all. I have seen baby snakes almost every year but I live on 30 acres. And even then I have'nt seen a normal snake in quite some time.

I hope some of this information helps. Let me know if you need any other questions answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area