U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM

238 posts, read 603,709 times

Advertisements

We're coming to the Springfield area soon for a househunting expedition. Could you give us advice on area schools (particularly personal experience.) We've heard good things about Nixa and Ozark schools. Any views on those or other schools in the area, such as Republic, Clever, Kickapoo, Glendale, Rogersville, Highlandville, etc. would be appreciated. We've got kids from elementary to High School age. (Well one of college age too, but he's pretty set on returning to Scotland after a year out, to go to Glasgow University.)

On a related note, I'm a country boy at heart, and my wife is a city girl. So we need to look for houses in areas which are a compromise. We need a bit of land, but in or very near communities with easy access (possibly walking distance) to schools, parks, stores, etc. And perhaps communities, where you would have frequent contact with your neighbors. I know that's a tall order, but in our search so far, we've found a few areas which we think might fit the bill. For example, Ozark appears to have a slightly more community feel than Nixa, though I could be wrong about that. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated. We're not looking for real estate advice. We already have someone on that for us. We just need some personal experiences of communities and schools.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM

145 posts, read 629,469 times
Advice on schools in that area:
Ozark & Nixa--both excellent, but both have high taxes to live there because of this (you get what you pay for, in other words). Ozark has a brand-new high school that is really impressive for a small communities. I taught there during part of my student teaching.
Republic--schools are a bit of a mess, but nothing horrible (they are "growing", basically). Community is nice, though.
Clever and Highlandville--don't know much about these areas, sorry can't help there.
Kickapoo and Glendale--these are southside Springfield schools. Kickapoo is a good school, but has lots of drug problems (this is where all the doctor's and lawyer's kids go, thus they have the money and means to be dealing/using). Glendale isn't as fancy as Kickapoo and has a nice blend of kids from mostly middle to upper-middle class backgrounds and not as much on the drug scene. I would avoid Springfield schools, personally--the schools on the outskirt cities have far better environments and Springfield school administration is a mess. I taught in Parkview High during part of my teacher training and found it to be a rather "difficult" school full of unhappy faculty and students alike.
Rogersville--nice country area with good schools, though in the old town itself there are some really dumpy areas (may give you the wrong impression--stick to the countryside surrounding). I did my practice teaching at the high school and really loved it--class size not too bad and nice kids.
Another suggestion:
Willard--nice schools and great country areas surrounding.
My opinion for best compromise area for the city/country blend: Rogersville. You'll be close enough to Springfield to drive there often without much problem (be wary of what route you will have to take, though!), the town of Rogersville has at least a few little shops to get you by on staples and such, and you'll have the nice countryside to enjoy, plus a nice school district. Best of luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 02:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,174,717 times
Most schools have "report cards" online .....

I live in an area that has a new high school and high taxes - and its not making the grades! ...but were moving to Mo.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 29,366 times
Default ozark schools

Hello there! I have a daughter who is a senior at Ozark High, and a son who already graduated from Ozark. As far as public schools go, Ozark is about as great as they come. I personally worked in the school system for 10 years, and then volunteered after that. Ozark has a pretty good community feel although we sure have grown in the last several years, but then all of the surrounding communities have. I personally love Ozark best because the scenery is just beautiful and it seems a picture postcard setting (i like hill and trees, cows and horses, etc). My son just graduated from College of the Ozarks (south of Ozark about 20 miles or so) and is going to Scotland to attend seminary there in Edinbourgh! Funny, huh? That we both have kids in high school and going to Scotland to college? Although I don't have any younger than a senior....they grow up so fast (sigh). Good luck to your search!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
I would disagree about the drug problem only being at Kickapoo or Springfield. After moving from Nixa due to the high volume of drug problems in our neighborhood, I would have to say I feel safer and have seen less drug problems in Springfield. I am sure they are present every where but I think you have misrepresented Springfield.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,111,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaljerry View Post
I would disagree about the drug problem only being at Kickapoo or Springfield. After moving from Nixa due to the high volume of drug problems in our neighborhood, I would have to say I feel safer and have seen less drug problems in Springfield. I am sure they are present every where but I think you have misrepresented Springfield.
The same could be said of you and Nixa.

If we compare neighborhoods, there will be differences, but on the whole I can't see that Nixa, Ozark or Springfield would have any major differences.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 AM

238 posts, read 603,709 times
Default Thank You!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Unfortunately, many of the replies came after we had already decided where to settle.

We bought a lovely (and very affordable for the size) home in a nice neighborhood, just inside the city limits of Nixa. The kids have all started school and are doing very well. My second and third sons are playing soccer (or should that be football). One is on the high school team, and is very popular. One is playing with the Nixa Eagles middle school kids. He's settling in well, but is not making friends quite so readily. He's not unpopular or anything, just he and many of the other kids his age seem to be a bit less outgoing. My daughter is in elementary, and is just loving learning (always has) and gets on well with her teacher and her classmates (especially the boys--she has three older brothers, so I guess that's to be expected.)

Dianejw,

We almost bought a house in Ozark (our offer was outbid). But we're happy with our new home in Nixa.

Yes, my son is hoping to get into Glasgow School of Art at Glasgow University (considered by many to be the finest art school in the world). Unfortunately, a classmate of his who had pretty much equivalent grades (on paper she and my son have grades which far exceed entry requirements) who was turned down due to all the places being filled. (Some have said that they are being limited for native Scots, due to various quotas, but I don't know that for a fact.) She also had an added advantage over my son, in the fact that her father is the Principal of their high school--one of the best in the county. So, if she didn't get in, then it's not looking too good for my son. He has many other options in Scotland, but had his heart set on Glasgow.

As far as your son going to Edinburgh. It's a wonderful place, and I'm sure he'll be richer for the experience.

Thanks all,

wrightclan

Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 PM

318 posts, read 699,717 times
Wrightclan - Good luck to you and your family!

Just found this post after the moderators put it into a "Sprinfield" thread. You must have got lost in the list.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 18,679 times
Hi Everyone,

I have only posted once to the newcomers thread, but I was actually wondering about schools. I noticed my realtor keeps sending me houses in the kickapoo school district, and I was wondering if anyone had any input on that. We are moving from an upper middle class area on the East coast, and although the schools are rated #2 in the state, I did notice that since the kids are a little spoiled, there are quite a bit of drugs. Is Nixa more middle class with better family values? We wanted to actually get away from that whole rich kid thing, and go to a nice family area with good schools. I am not sure if these areas exist anymore, but we were hoping going from New York to the Midwest, we could raise our kids in a nice environment. I would appreciate any advice. People have been so helpful on this site. Thanks !!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,111,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnewyork View Post
Is Nixa more middle class with better family values?
I wouldn't call Nixa any more or less middle-class than Springfield, or even the Kickapoo district. Like Kickapoo, Nixa has a broad range of homes, neighborhoods and income levels. The Kickapoo district does cover some affluent areas, but so does every other district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area