U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,625 times

Advertisements

Hi, We need to relocate near Springfield Missouri, We would like to be within 30 minutes or so from Springfield. We really want to leave Oregon, and hope to find a good job within the trucking industry. We do like the country area , so hopefully someone can let us know what areas to stay away from, and some areas to look at. Last time I was in Missouri I was at Ft. Leonardwood, MO.(Yikes) My Hubby grew up in Forsyth, Mo. We have grown and gone children, just want to semi-retire and need any info on the surrounding areas, as well as good company's to work for. Especially Trucking.
THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 11:36 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,182,843 times
Talking Within 30 minutes...

You sound just like us, 13 years ago! Most of what you'll find 30 minutes out from Springfield will be small towns. When we moved from Sacramento, it was to a very small town 30 minutes east of Springfield and although some of the "from there" folks were very nice, there is a real clique-y thing that happens to a town that hasn't had a regular influx of people over the years. Now that I'm in real estate and looking at it more objectively, it's like every town (city) has a personality. Some are Mayberry and some are NOT.
I have finally settled in Hollister (your husband will know where that is, although he won't recognize it today) because the "30 minutes is ok" thing got old after a year or so. I like having groceries, lumber and restaurants close. And I'm in love with lake living.
Good small towns near Springfield: Willard. Nixa and Ozark have become pretty built up but are still nice. I like Sparta, lots of people love Republic.
You should definitely consider the lake area south of Springfield...it's growing like mad but still definitely affordable compared to out west.
My advice, it's not something you should decide on a weekend visit.
You need to really compare prices in whatever market you might look at...and prices vary greatly in a 15 minute drive!
AND...Prime is a great trucking company...I don't know much about the others.
Happy Moving and Welcome...I love Missouri!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:21 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,193,212 times
I have a post similar to th is one .. lost of info in it

Old 05-20-2007, 01:21 PM

42 posts, read 208,036 times
I would like to Strafford. Strafford is about 10 miles out and has city and country housing options. As well, several trucking companies are along the outer road between Springfield and Strafford. As well, Strafford has a truck stop. Housing is affordable there and has quick access to I-44.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 AM

104 posts, read 674,804 times
Default Bolivar.....NOT!

Bolivar is ~ 25 mi N of Spfld...stay as far away from Bolivar as you can. Why? Because there are no jobs to speak of and Bolivar residents are very clannish...meaning, if you were not born there, you are considered an alien and not welcome. I've seen people who were born there move away and when they move back are also snubbed.

Residents in Bolivar are either rich or very poor. And, it's a crack up that the snobby so-called Baptists who preach love etc., are the first in line to turn away from anyone who does not have money and doesn't live in a fancy house (if you could call anything in Bolivar fancy).

One old gal who believes she is of the Bolivar Blood-Line, will stand and preach about her love of all mankind, but behind closed doors will bash the "trailer trash" that live in Bolivar.

One family needed help when the husband lost his job. They begged the local churches for help but were told the food in the church pantry is for church members only.

Nice place.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:23 AM

1,635 posts, read 3,530,261 times
Hi! I happen to live in the outskirts of Sparta and near Ozark, MO. Rogersville is nearby, too. It takes us 20 minutes to get to the southeast edge of Springfield and between 5 to 10 minutes to get to Ozark. It was important to us that we live IN the country but NEAR a large town so we could have access to good shopping. Well, Springfield and Ozark fit that bill. Nixa has some great shopping, too...and is only about 15 miles away at its south end. Ozark is a great town with a family feeling and it has a Super WalMart, Lowe's and Walgreens, as far as name stores go. We have only lived here for about 9 months so I can't tell you much more than that. Oh, and did I happen to mention that WE LOVE IT? We are California transplants and haven't regretted the move for a second! Welcome! We hope you find a place you love, too!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 AM

106 posts, read 313,727 times
Try Cabool. Not sure how many miles from Springfield, probably more than what your wanting. I would check it out anyway. We are moving in 19 days down there and it is beautiful, cheap taxes and we just fell in love.

Good Luck,

Kim and Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area