Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM

48 posts, read 116,412 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, my grandparents used to own some cottages in Rockaway Beach, so we would go every summer and spend time there (as well as in Forsyth and Branson). A few years ago, my mom and I went on vacation to Branson and I mentioned my desire to visit Rockaway Beach and my mom refused to take me there, saying: "It would ruin all your childhood memories.".

My husband and I are debating a move to the Branson area in the near future, and I'm just wondering, is Rockaway Beach that bad? I'd love to go visit, and I would consider living there (I loved it so much when I was a kid!) if it weren't for my mom's words. Thoughts?

Bec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM

really? no responses?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
It's seen better days but we've only been there recently which is decidedly off-season.

My wife found it charming and can't wait to see it again in the Spring and Summer since we live locally on Table Rock Lake.

It does evoke images of a simpler past!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
The glory days are long over in Rockaway. A few years ago, my family rented a cabin there thinking it would be like the good old days of my childhood but it wasn't. Not At All.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Rockaway Beach is a very poor area. Our church does some outreach work with residents of Rockaway Beach and there are a lot of sad stories down there.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Rockaway Beach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
When I was a kid, my grandparents used to own some cottages in Rockaway Beach, so we would go every summer and spend time there (as well as in Forsyth and Branson). A few years ago, my mom and I went on vacation to Branson and I mentioned my desire to visit Rockaway Beach and my mom refused to take me there, saying: "It would ruin all your childhood memories.".

My husband and I are debating a move to the Branson area in the near future, and I'm just wondering, is Rockaway Beach that bad? I'd love to go visit, and I would consider living there (I loved it so much when I was a kid!) if it weren't for my mom's words. Thoughts?

Bec
It depends on how long ago you were a kid. I think Rockaway's decline began in the '60's after Table Rock Dam was built and the water went cold. Then apparently bikers moved in (in the 70's?) and things have never gotten back on track. One idea is the gambling boat, but I have mixed emotions about that...!

There are some good hard working folks there attempting to clean up & bring up the area and having a measure of success! I find it charming in an old-lakeside-resort-kind-of-way, although the work yet to be done is fairly obvious. I still like the Pizza Cellar.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
It depends on how long ago you were a kid. I think Rockaway's decline began in the '60's after Table Rock Dam was built and the water went cold. Then apparently bikers moved in (in the 70's?) and things have never gotten back on track. One idea is the gambling boat, but I have mixed emotions about that...!

There are some good hard working folks there attempting to clean up & bring up the area and having a measure of success! I find it charming in an old-lakeside-resort-kind-of-way, although the work yet to be done is fairly obvious. I still like the Pizza Cellar.

Well, I was born in 1978, so I guess it's heyday was over by then. I always loved the area, feeding the ducks, fishing with my grandpa. I even remember a time when there were some bumper cars there when I was really young.

It's good to hear that people are trying to clean it up. We are relocating to the area in two years, and I was really fantasizing about moving to Rockaway Beach. Maybe by then it won't be as bad?

I've heard the Pizza Cellar has the best pizza in Mo! When we come for vacation this May, we will definitely be visiting and having lunch there! Thanks for your input (and everyone else's too!).

Bec

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
I've heard the Pizza Cellar has the best pizza in Mo!
I've heard that as well, but haven't made it down there to test the claims yet.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
BAD?????????

I love Rockaway Beach. Since the City of Branson has totally ruined the waterfront with the Landing, every time I want to go to enjoy the lakefront (Taneycomo, that is) I go to Rockaway because it is charming, quiet and very rustic. In fact, if I were to buy something that was water-oriented I would look there first (or maybe Forsyth by the dam).

Nothin' wrong with Rockaway *and* they have one of the best pizza places in the world there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your input

I always loved it there as a kid, and we are seriously considering a move to the area. My mom just made me nervous when she said that, so I wanted to check with people who would know more about it. I look forward to our visit in May, I haven't been to Rockaway in 17 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area