Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,326,905 times

Advertisements

I have been told what is close to Springfield and what is not etc.........

I am wondering how accurate some of those suggestions were.

Around Springfield I see -
Ozark
Phelps
Buffalo
Ava
Mountain Grove on the other size of Ava
Gelena

I printed this map off of Map Quest -

It does not show Shannon ..or I am blind! Where is Cobol?

how far is Buffalo / Quincy and Osceola from Springfield is 13 a good road?

2 Ozarks are showing up - is one in Arkansas?

Thanks
Deborah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 AM

106 posts, read 322,510 times
Cabool is east of Ava, neat Mountain Grove and Houston. I sent (e-mail) you the map that I use to see all the little cities.

Kim

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Here is the link for the map site that I use.

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/GEOG...s/Missouri.jpg

Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,641,201 times
Default IMHO...In My Humble Opinion

Well, Deborah, as I said in my last post which I did just a little while ago, I am pretty new to the area but I am pretty familiar with the town names since we looked for a loooong time before we bought, both online and then in person. Having said that, here's my response to your questions. I'll put my answers around yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahWade View Post

Ozark I have already recommended Ozark and there are several other great towns in the area that haven't been mentioned but would make for great commutes to Springfield.
Phelps Clueless as to where it is unless it is over near St. Louis
Buffalo Too far for commuting to Springfield, in my opinion. I haven't been there.
Ava Very small, cute town. Does have a Wal Mart and a McDonalds, though. Definitely too far for a commute to Springfield and pretty much anywhere else, too. ; )
Mountain Grove on the other size of Ava Since this place is on Highway 60, it is a little bigger and has easier access to other towns nearby. I don't see it as close to a larger town except maybe West Plains, which is pretty far but closer than Springfield.
Gelena This town is off the beaten path and probably not good for commuting to anywhere. I haven't been there.

It does not show Shannon ..or I am blind!
Have never heard of Shannoon and can't find it, either.

Where is Cobol?
Clueless...unless it is actually Cabool which is east of Mountain Grove. I haven't been there.

Buffalo is about 40 miles and I'm guessing close to an hour, more or less, from Springfield, depending on both exact locations.

Quincy is far, far away from everything. It is about 25 miles northwest of Buffalo...as the crow flies.

Osceola is even further out...about 20 more miles out...so ditto Quincy's info and BOLD it.

2 Ozarks are showing up - is one in Arkansas? yes

Thanks
Deborah
You're welcome! Oh...I wanted to mention that I remembered your earlier post about your plan to move to the Springfield area when making these comments.

I would like to recommend Rand McNally - Maps, Driving Directions, Travel Store as a great site to use to find these towns and even the distances between them. They have three options that show up front and center on their homepage.
1. Driving directions
2. Maps
3. Mileage
Just click on whichever tab you choose. You don't need a full address. Just fill in the city and state and it will still give you mileage and directions. I only typed in their website but this site replaced it with a special link. Go for it!

I hope this helps!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM

I didn't know that there was a city named Shannon, I know that there is a county named Shannon. Now I am curious. I will be checking that out. : )

Kim

Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,535,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahWade View Post

Ozark
Phelps
Buffalo
Ava
Mountain Grove on the other size of Ava
Gelena

It does not show Shannon ..or I am blind! Where is Cobol?

2 Ozarks are showing up - is one in Arkansas?

Thanks
Deborah
Deborahwade I am sorry for the confusion. I used The Road Atlas '05 Map from Rand Mcnally. I looked up the State of Missouri and it shows the county and towns all over. Shannon is a County with towns such as birch tree,alley spring,eminence and bartlett etc.
Texas County has towns such as mountain grove,cabool,elk creek summersville, houston,raymondville,success and licking.
I hope I straighten you out.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 PM

145 posts, read 653,509 times
A few more tidbits:
Buffalo is an easy drive on Hwy. 65; about 30-45mn depending on what side of it you lived on/how far from 65, etc.
Ozark in MO is less than 10 miles South of Springfield, also on Hwy 65.
Along with Shannon being a county, Phelps is also one.
Hwy 13 North is NOT a good road. It is nicknamed "Bloody 13" because of all of the accidents. People drive WAY too fast, notably those trying to get to and from KC, plus a lot of Bolivar commuters. It has become a little better since the lanes were redone, but not much.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 PM

13 posts, read 42,816 times
Shannon County is approx. 120 miles due east of Springfield Mo. as the crow flies, It consists of the towns of Eminence, Winona, Bartlett, Birch Tree, Summersville, and the old town of Owls Bend still on the map but nothing is there but the river crossing.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:58 PM

879 posts, read 2,869,116 times
Default how close is close?

There are lots of little towns around Springfield that haven't been mentioned, but how "close is close" to you? What would "too far" be in mileage?

We have lots of friends in the trades that live in Galena...it is a bit off the beaten path, but it's a nice area. Lots of nice little towns around the lake like Cape Fair, Kimberling City, Forsyth, etc. But they are further from Springfield and closer to Branson.

If you contact the Chamber of Commerce for Springfield and for Branson, they will send you a relocation package that includes a good map of the area.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,641,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
There are lots of little towns around Springfield that haven't been mentioned, but how "close is close" to you? What would "too far" be in mileage?

We have lots of friends in the trades that live in Galena...it is a bit off the beaten path, but it's a nice area. Lots of nice little towns around the lake like Cape Fair, Kimberling City, Forsyth, etc. But they are further from Springfield and closer to Branson.

If you contact the Chamber of Commerce for Springfield and for Branson, they will send you a relocation package that includes a good map of the area.
MrsC has some great questions and tips in her post! I thought I'd give you the contact page for each Chamber's website:
Springfield: Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce: Contact Us
Branson: Branson Missouri vacation lodging, hotels, shows, Chamber of Commerce (http://www.bransonchamber.com/crm/index.cfm?action=viewform&formID=3 - broken link)
Of course, each real estate office usually gives these out, as well!

Happy home hunting!

MrsG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area