U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM

72 posts, read 270,162 times

Advertisements

Well we made the decision, we are moving to Springfield, Ozark specifically. Who did all the Californians use and was your experience good or bad? Our friends there used ABF and said not to use them because alot of their things were damaged. Any info would be appreciated. Thank You. Anyone know of any rental houses in Ozark until we settle in? We have 2 labs so hopefully we can find someone that will allow pets. Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,363,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
Well we made the decision, we are moving to Springfield, Ozark specifically. Who did all the Californians use and was your experience good or bad? Our friends there used ABF and said not to use them because alot of their things were damaged. Any info would be appreciated. Thank You. Anyone know of any rental houses in Ozark until we settle in? We have 2 labs so hopefully we can find someone that will allow pets. Thanks again.
We used Bekins and the guys that packed the truck did a great job. Our mistake was not having a house to move right into so everything had to be unloaded, crated and stored then reloaded back on the truck. Unfortunately some of the people they hire to do this line of work aren't the most gentle on your stuff. Some of our things got nicked up pretty good and the company seemed to care less. On the subject of rentals here is a link to the major area newspaper:

News-Leader.com | Springfield, Mo.

best of luck on the big move!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM

114 posts, read 354,278 times
My cousin who has moved around the county several times likes Atlas the best. Her husbands company(s) paid for each move. Before you decide to hire a moving company please read the Moving Trucks thread. After reading what the person said on this thread who has been in the moving company business for years, I've decided when I move I'm not coming with much more than the shirt on my back and I'm no kid (getting close to semi retirement.) It will really mean starting out all over again. However, I will save a lot of money and will be able to make a new start by purchasing new furniture once I arrive in MO. If the company you work for is paying for the move than I'd say "Go for it." I know it's not easy to give up your belongings. I'm starting to sell mine and it hurts, a lot. I love what I have, but I received an estimate and know I can buy new furniture similiar to what I now have and have some money left over. It's something to think about. If you live in a state close to MO maybe then it's worth shipping them. I'll be coming from CA.

I hope this information and the thread under Moving Trucks helps you.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Default thanks

We have gotten rid of most of our stuff the last year anticipating moving so we don't have much, figured like you we we would get new stuff on the other end. Ihermey where is the moving truck thread? Didn't see it anywhere, please let me know. Da Jammer I have been checking the News-leader and not having much luck. Alot to figure out when moving, thanks for all your help!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Default found the moving truck thread

Thanks Ihermey but I found the thread, just got home from work am tired so didn't look very good earlier. I am so glad we got rid of alot of our stuff, we figured we didn't want to haul alot of stuff acorss the country so we used the 2 year rule, if you havne't used it in 2 years bye bye! Numerous trips to Goodwill later and we have lightened the load tremendously!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 3,645,312 times
I am not in California - - in my case, I plan to move from New Orleans to Springfield in 2-3 years.

My dear friend Frank has suggested that I should not move any beds, sofas, or most of my other furniture because it may not look right in a different home, and it is expensive and a lot of trouble to move it. I will probably move my fake Persian rugs and a few small tables and a chair, the plasma TV, and paintings and sculptures. But obviously the china cabinet and buffet in the dining room, and double dresser and armoire in my bedroom cannot go. In fact I plan to leave ALL of my dining room and bedroom furniture.

Like you, I am cutting down on my other possessions and should have less than half by that time.

We are tentatively thinking of renting a truck from someplace like Budget trucks. He would drive, and I would follow in my car. I don't think I could drive a truck that far by myself. With no heavy furniture, we could do most of the loading and unloading.

I don't know if that is a reasonable solution from California, because of the great distance, but thought I would mention it. www.budgettrucks.com (http://www.budgettrucks.com - broken link) gave me a rough idea of how much it would cost.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,496,443 times
Default Penske is Cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I am not in California - - in my case, I plan to move from New Orleans to Springfield in 2-3 years.

My dear friend Frank has suggested that I should not move any beds, sofas, or most of my other furniture because it may not look right in a different home, and it is expensive and a lot of trouble to move it. I will probably move my fake Persian rugs and a few small tables and a chair, the plasma TV, and paintings and sculptures. But obviously the china cabinet and buffet in the dining room, and double dresser and armoire in my bedroom cannot go. In fact I plan to leave ALL of my dining room and bedroom furniture.

Like you, I am cutting down on my other possessions and should have less than half by that time.

We are tentatively thinking of renting a truck from someplace like Budget trucks. He would drive, and I would follow in my car. I don't think I could drive a truck that far by myself. With no heavy furniture, we could do most of the loading and unloading.

I don't know if that is a reasonable solution from California, because of the great distance, but thought I would mention it. www.budgettrucks.com (http://www.budgettrucks.com - broken link) gave me a rough idea of how much it would cost.
Hi, NOLA2SGF!

Every time we checked prices...different times for different people's moves...Penske was a better price. We used them and I recommend them but I also recommend checking everything out before you drive away or get out of town. Even though the trucks we used were near new, they can still have problems and they don't always get the windshield clean, that sort of thing, which is a hassle to do with everything else on your plate.

One of the trucks we rented had a headlight out and that prevented my husband from driving after dark on his first day or getting an early start in the morning. Fortunately, I called them during office hours that next day and they talked to him, telling him that one of the wires has a tendency to come loose and told him exactly how to fix (wiggle ) it. If it had been something he couldn't fix, they would have sent someone out to fix it but we all know what a wrench that can throw into our plans, don't we? Anyway, renter beware...no matter who you use.

By the way, did you notice that I said "truckS"? Yep, I didn't do what you guys...er...ya'll... are talking about and we wound up having to make TWO TRIPS when we discovered that one wouldn't do it, after all. By that time, it was too late to go through things and sell them. You don't load the truck in order of most important to least important when they're coming out of a storage unit! Hahaha!

One more note, here: We checked prices for renting a truck one way from CA to MO or from MO and just returning to the place we rented it...and the savings were significant to rent a truck IN Missouri and return it here...even after we considered the cost of food and gas at these high prices! Of course, my husband traveled alone and stayed with family in CA and slept in the truck on the road. Okay, in case anyone decides to do that, I must tell you that only the biggest truck has a bench seat. For the second trip, we rented a smaller one and my husband had to use a box between the seats and some blankets to make a bed under him. Fair warning, huh? You know what they say: "Live and learn!" Well, around here (this forum), we get to "Read and learn!"

Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM

77,804 posts, read 96,782,634 times
For anyone moving themselves, Penske does seem to have the best prices. We are trying to decide which way to go this move. At our age, a moving company seems like the best bet. When we moved from Dallas to NM 6 years ago we did most of our own packing but did hire movers. Guess what? The truck got stolen, yep, that's right. It never got out of Dallas; 43 years of marriage got taken, plus 100 year old family bible, grandma and my moms crystal, wedding pictures, as well as other things that were not re-placable. What are the chances of something like that happening, do you think?

Nita

Old 06-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,150 posts, read 8,207,344 times
I really like the idea of just buying new when you get there. I had been thinking of how much a move would cost, a few thousand from the west coast for sure after the fuel bill. What are the prices of furniture in the Springfield area?? I have some cousins over in the Polular Bluff area who work for a furniture manufacture (Row Furniture, I think it's called)...

Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM

77,804 posts, read 96,782,634 times
I keep looking at all our stuff and wonder the same. So much of what we have is: 1-obviously pretty new as we replaced everything 6 years ago and 2-some of it I just love, but then, will it fit into whatever we buy in Mo, Ar or Ok? We have a glass top dining room set, southwestern tile tops on our coffeee and end tables, tile kitchen set, and bakers racks instead of china cabinets. They are pretty much Rod Iron. I guess I have about 6 months to decide.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>