Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 AM

122 posts, read 261,494 times

Advertisements

I live in a nice neighborhood(actually I was concern when I moved in it was too conservative). One neighbor decided to rent their home last year hoping to move back some day. They rented it to some young people who said they were college students. They were not, in fact some are still in high school or dropped out. There are over 20 sometimes 30 people living there. The house isn't noisy, just tons of traffic, cars, bikes, motorcycles, skateboards and a lot of beer being brought in and maybe other stuff.

The yard is now full of trash, weeds, a few unregistered cars, and tons of people. I can only guess and have peeked at some facebooks pages that drinking and drugs are inside but again it is pretty quiet so the police wont respond to facebook page pictures or 25 cars. The police have come out a few times but they can't go inside, just circle around. The ordindance office admits there are many violations but nothing has been done for a year. The owners only care about the rent. The neighbors are all upset but what else can be done? Anything other office or department. This house is next to a school and I really feel like it is causing issues at the school.

Im very close to up and moving but my husband business is doing so well and my kids are doing well at school but I hate living so close to such a volatile house and the no neighborhood kids can play outside anymore because of the constant traffic and activites. I thought it might just last a few months but we are going into year 2. The neighborhood all now feel like prisioners in our homes, afraid to use our yards. It is sad that most of use pay over $2k a month for our homes and this rental can be rented out to 20 people for $100 each a month. I know houses cant be rented out to more then 4 unrelated people but how can you prove it or who will actually stop this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 AM

148 posts, read 460,746 times
What about a complaint to the mayor or city council, or zoning committee if there is such a thing where you are? I don't have an informed answer to your question, but I hope somebody else here can help. Perhaps letting us know your city or area or zip would provoke more answers. So sorry for you and your neighbors--what a dilemma!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

My zip is 84790. I thought about writing to the mayor. The city council is not zoned for certain areas or zips, in fact most live in one part of the city (this is a hot button topic). It is election time so who knows if they will care, in a few weeks there could be a new mayor and council.

I have thought about talking to the nearby schools because after having our neighborhood meeting I really feel like these renters are bringing in bad influences on students. No sure if going to a principal is a good idea? Several teachers live in the neighborhood and know some of the renters and know they were not good seeds.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM

175 posts, read 596,310 times
Sounds like a tough situation - my empathy to you. Here are a few thoughts that might be worth a shot.

You and your neighbors contact the homeowner who's in violation to express your concerns to see if they are willing to take action - perhaps you've already done this with no results (seems like the homeowner would want to protect their investment - help them understand their liability exposure).

If that doesn't work, it pobably wouldn't hurt for you and your neighbors to visit with your HOA if applicable. Sometimes they can take action - liens/legal action for violating CCR's etc.

If you can find out who insures the home or who the loan is through, you may be able to contact that company/broker and make sure they know what's going on. They have a financial interest in the maintenance of the home and contractual requirements (e.g. properly maintained, owner occupied, no illegal activity) and proven legal remedies for this. The loss of insurance/loan may spur the homeowner to change their ways. Many insurers/lenders have numbers to report fraud or problems (you may have to call until you find theirs).

Next would be the school principal. I think there are special laws regulating drugs withing a certain distance of a school. Not sure how close the two are but having the principal or WCSD also expressing concerns to police could pack more weight.

Have you and your neighbors considered talking to the bishop of your ward? Even if you're not LDS, I'm guessing they might have concerns about what's going on. They seem to be connected to local government pretty well and may be able to connect better with the city council/mayor.

Final option may be for all the neighbors to pitch in to consult an attorney. Perhaps legal action against the homeowner or city (for not enforcing code) would get some action.

I believe there have been other instances of this situation in the paper lately, given it's a vacation town. Maybe reaching out and banding together as one larger voice can get something done at city hall.

Best wishes.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks, I think it is time to go to the schools. There are 3 schools all walking distance, one is only a few houses away. I don't have kids at the school but I know the middle/high school have some sort of officer so maybe the officer or principal could help. One neighbor said why not have the principal sit and watch which students come and go from the house.

The homeowner didn't care as long as they get rent. Then they got some fines for trash and they came up 4 times last week to check on the house after neighbors we getting very mad at them and the kids locked themselves in the house and won't answer. The homeowner is locked out of the house now. The homeowner gave up and needs to work and said as long as I get my rent they don't care. The home is owned outright, no loan so this is all money for them.

We are not an HOA but there are some CCR's like the trash that got a fine but obviously not big enough.

I don't want to say my exact location but it shocks me if you knew who lived in my neighborhood and nothing gets done. There are 4 high ranking people in the city (best way I can phrase this) and they turn a blind eye. the stake president I believe works in a capacity for the city. I also have 3 neighbors that are lawyers(maybe one that might write a letter).

Most of the neighbors just hope it will go away or are living scared in their basements. the way the streets and cu-de-sacs are formed some families living 2-3 houses away don't know.

I just feel so bad because I don't want to go into too much detail but I see lovely honor students visiting this house and I'm sure their parents have no clue and it makes me sad to think what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George