Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,069 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving from Minnesota.........How long have you been in Utah?
How's the biking and hiking...?

thanks

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 06:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who settled the area and who moved in later on? You don't like Mormons? Leave Utah.
Some tried that and some failed. Remember Mountain Meadows?
https://utah.com/mormon/mountain-meadows

BACK ON SUBJECT of the OP.
I do not live in St. George but camped there a lot and have friends who live there. So can't actually speak about the city, but if into hiking in that area, black widow spiders, coyotes, and rattle snakes (great basin most prolific from my experience) can easily be avoided. Just listen and be careful when moving about. And be careful if walking a dog (if you have one), they tend to want to investigate the rattle sound...not good.

Last edited by f5fstop; 12-10-2020 at 06:57 AM..

Old 12-10-2020, 06:59 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskin View Post
I'm looking at moving from Minnesota.........How long have you been in Utah?
How's the biking and hiking...?

thanks

Mark
If you are talking mountain trails for biking; look at Moab area (SE Utah).

Old 12-10-2020, 12:30 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Reeder View Post
These comments have been great but besides the black bug, roach, scorpion & ant issues in the St. George area, how often are snakes seen? Do they get inside homes? Do you have to constantly worry about them on your patios?
The snakes are out there. A friend is an ER doc and has treated many, many snake bites over the course of his career. He says that in every single case, 100%, the victim was bothering or attempting to handle the snake.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:01 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,711,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The snakes are out there. A friend is an ER doc and has treated many, many snake bites over the course of his career. He says that in every single case, 100%, the victim was bothering or attempting to handle the snake.
And alcohol was involved.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:04 PM

565 posts, read 458,435 times
Typical Utah thread (no offense sadiemae62).

Old 12-16-2020, 06:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,029,218 times
People need to educate themselves on snakes. The vast majority of them are harmless, and virtually none of them want anything to do with humans (Cobras in India and Mambas in Africa might be a different matter). Obviously, rattlers need to be treated with great respect. Question: do Southern Utah veterinarians recommend dogs be immunized against rattlers? I'm pretty sure that's common practice in Arizona, but don't know about Utah. I've never seen one myself.

I was hiking in the Wasatch range just east of Layton, UT about a decade ago, and almost stepped on a very large, very dark (black?) snake stretched completely across the path; I couldn't see its head or tail. I moved back and stomped my foot a couple of times, kicking a little dirt onto it, and it moved off the trail, but I didn't see a rattle on its tail, I still don't know what it was. But it was big, thicker than most garden hoses. Watch your step, LOL.

I'm not a big fan of spiders (especially widows or recluses), but scorpions are what I'm most "paranoid" about, I worked at a desert location south of Phoenix for a week or so once, and the day after the exterminator came, the bathroom (maybe two or three stalls) had the little translucent ones all around the bottom of the walls (dead). One of the mechanics told me, "Never reach inside a box of nuts or bolts, always take it down, look inside it, and THEN reach in. Sounded like the voice of experience.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,130,284 times
I'd question whether 100% of snakebite cases are people trying to handle them.

I see a lot of snakes in the summer (3 in one week is my high count) - partly as I am outdoors a lot and keep my eyes open. Genuinely afraid - have seen Cobra (India) and some other weird snakes (Africa) to fear them. Despite that - I try to be outside though avoid night hiking in case I see it too late.

I know from some dog owners that there is rattler training for the dogs in SLC. I would be surprised if the immunization were not an option.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:13 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I'd question whether 100% of snakebite cases are people trying to handle them.

I see a lot of snakes in the summer (3 in one week is my high count) - partly as I am outdoors a lot and keep my eyes open. Genuinely afraid - have seen Cobra (India) and some other weird snakes (Africa) to fear them. Despite that - I try to be outside though avoid night hiking in case I see it too late.

I know from some dog owners that there is rattler training for the dogs in SLC. I would be surprised if the immunization were not an option.
What I said was that my friend said 100% of the bites that he treated were from messing with them. And this over a 30+ year career as ER doc in Utah. But perhaps you're right, cause he hasn't seen 100% of all snake bites.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 AM

101 posts, read 132,504 times
Default and another way to look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who settled the area and who moved in later on? You don't like Mormons? Leave Utah.
Settled Utah? I thought there were Utes that lived there for many years before europeans came in . Settle to me just means live. So if you mean they were driven out of their homeland so europeans could live there then thats colonization or invasion of a foreign nature. Kind of like whats still going on today called Immigration,both legal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George