Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 PM

29 posts, read 100,061 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving around with my wife and 9-month old baby tomorrow afternoon, hoping for him to get a long nap in the car while we drive. Would like to drive by some of the sights downtown (e.g. the Arch), but don't plan to stop/get out of the car.

Can someone recommend a good driving route that would take us by some of the sights/interesting neighborhoods?

I'm thinking we'll do the driving tour for ~20-30 min.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,748,508 times
Where would you be coming from and where would you be heading to?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:13 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,665,922 times
Someone posted a really great driving tour a while back, wish I could find it...

There are so many areas to see. Downtown is kind of easy, because you can essentially drive Washington Ave. (loft district & city museum) along with Market St. (Union Station, City Garden, City Hall, Old Courthouse, good view of the Arch) and see a lot.

Since I'm guessing you'll be on your way to Clayton based on past posts, I would just take Lindell Blvd to get there instead of highway 40. That way you can see a bit of the Central West End, the Cathedral Basilica, the edge of Forest Park and all the crazy houses across the street. I like driving through the park too, but I always get lost...

I'm sure others will have lots of great suggestions. Maybe some nice streets to drive down near Tower Grove Park, Lafayette Square, a trip through Soulard ending at AB brewery, etc. I'm kinda terrible at remembering street names of places I haven't lived by, so I'm not much help.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

I'll probably be coming from either the Clayton area or the CWE, and heading back towards that area (but ultimately to the airport). Should I take 40 to downtown, and then head back via Washington Ave and/or Market St? (or vice-versa...)

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,579,717 times
Circle around old town clayton then south take wydown to lindell to the cwe to maryland/euclid and snake through the CWE. Back on Lindell through Midtown/Slu south on Jefferson and east on lafeyette. Circle lafeyette square head east on park. Snake through soulard and head either through downtown or back over to S. grand and around tower grove park. Don't miss Clifton Heights (longfellow/hawthorn) and then cruise by the water tower.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,850,737 times
I had some guests in town from Pittsburgh. I took them down Washington Avenue, by Busch Stadium, took Broadway over by the Budweiser Brewery, drove through Soulard, went over to Lafayette Square, drove through the Central West End and ended at The Loop.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,579,717 times
^^ I meant Compton Heights. One of StL's hidden treasures.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to write down the suggested routes, so we just made it up randomly as we went along. Got to see the Arch up close, as well as all of the ballparks, which was cool. Baby ended up sleeping for almost 2 hours, so we were able to circle around Clayton, Ladue etc, multiple times, making us feel a lot more comfortable about relocating here!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis