Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,653,889 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm wanting to move out of my current place due to all of the crime I've been dealing with since I've been here. It's a cheap place and it's awesome, but dealing with the crime ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth and I never feel 100% safe here. I'm not looking to stay in St. Louis long term but I do want to move to a safer place that is still nice as well. I've always liked the University City/Clayton/Richmond Heights region of the city and have my sights there right now. It would be closer to work for me too. I'm seeing house rentals for anywhere between $850 - $1200 a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom house in this region. What should I expect to pay for a decent place with:

- Garage or off-street parking
- Central AC/heat
- Updated kitchen with dishwasher
- Washer/dryer in unit or basement of unit (hookups would work too)
- Quiet street
- Safe
- Deck/patio/porch/balcony (not really required but would be nice)
- Cable/Internet ready

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM

419 posts, read 1,330,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hey all,

I'm wanting to move out of my current place due to all of the crime I've been dealing with since I've been here. It's a cheap place and it's awesome, but dealing with the crime ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth and I never feel 100% safe here. I'm not looking to stay in St. Louis long term but I do want to move to a safer place that is still nice as well. I've always liked the University City/Clayton/Richmond Heights region of the city and have my sights there right now. It would be closer to work for me too. I'm seeing house rentals for anywhere between $850 - $1200 a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom house in this region. What should I expect to pay for a decent place with:

- Garage or off-street parking
- Central AC/heat
- Updated kitchen with dishwasher
- Washer/dryer in unit or basement of unit (hookups would work too)
- Quiet street
- Safe
- Deck/patio/porch/balcony (not really required but would be nice)
- Cable/Internet ready

Thanks!
It will be small, but you can find something for that, particularly closer to Wash U, like in the DeMun area. Check it:

st louis apts/housing for rent classifieds "clayton" - craigslist=

Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,764,991 times
Just out of curiosity - what area are you currently living in?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,879,656 times
If I'm not mistaken he lives near Tower Grove park. But I might be mixing him up with another poster. Caldus, I think you nailed it in your post, for what you're looking for in the area you're looking at, $800-$1200 sounds about right. You won't find many houses though, and if you do they probably will be a bit above the previously stated price point. If safety is a huge concern then focus mostly on Brentwood, Clayton, and Richmond Heights.

A bit further out into the county in areas like Rock Hill, Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and Maryland Heights is a good option too and might be a little cheaper. They also probably have more houses for rent then the previously mentioned areas.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,653,889 times
CarrieNeno: That's fine, I would be living by myself there, so I would actually prefer smaller. And yes I did already look all over the place on Craigslist. That's how I came up with the range but just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be insane to pay even $1000 or so a month to rent a house in that region.

BoomBoxing is correct ... I live off of South Grand which is near Tower Grove Park. Most of the area is actually pretty nice from what I can tell. I just think I live in a bad block, that's all. Either that or just very unlucky. I never had any problems when I lived near the Loop. I would consider Webster Groves or Kirkwood, but that would be a bit too far from work for me. They are nice areas too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis