Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Character? Inside 170?

This includes Bel Ridge, Kinloch, Wellston, Pagedale, Cool Valley and other similar upscale, elegant communities.

If the OP wants character and locally owned business that's great but for safety's sake stay south of Olive and west of Skinker if considering "inside 170."

Better idea - live in St. Charles, play in the nice parts of St. Louis (Clayton, UC, etc.)
Give me a friggin break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,743 times
Quote:

Character? Inside 170?

This includes Bel Ridge, Kinloch, Wellston, Pagedale, Cool Valley and other similar upscale, elegant communities.

If the OP wants character and locally owned business that's great but for safety's sake stay south of Olive and west of Skinker if considering "inside 170."

Better idea - live in St. Charles, play in the nice parts of St. Louis (Clayton, UC, etc.)

Why west of Skinker? If you stay west of skinker you really miss out on some great neighborhoods.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,769 times
Quote:
...for safety's sake stay south of Olive and west of Skinker if considering "inside 170."
Strongly disagree. Imho, as far as St. Louis City, anything west of Grand (in general, don't know about too far south) and south of Delmar (or I guess Washington if east of KingsHighway and Lindell if east of Vandeventer) is perfectly safe ... and throw in other communities east of Grand such as Soulard, Lafayette Square, etc.

As far as St. Louis County east of 170, anything south of Olive is fine. Or technically, if west of Pennsylvania and south of Page, then north of Olive is fine.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
someone should make a red area, yellow area, and green area map on google. That would be helpful. Somebody made one of Memphis, and now it's a sticky in the Memphis forum.

Here it is:
Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Sticky: Map of Memphis Neighborhoods

Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
^It's not a horrible idea but I think it does a disservice to the "bad" areas that really aren't "bad" to different standards. Everyone has their own personal chosen comfort level of safety. Obviously nobody wants to live where there are daily shootings and robberies, but I personally would feel comfortable living in an area that others would immediately dismiss as "dangerous".

A good example would be Soulard. I feel perfectly comfortable hanging out there and would live there in a heartbeat. However, there are robberies and burglaries there but they aren't super common. It has a strong neighborhood organization, neighborhood listserv, and neighbors watch out for one another as well as the many businesses. For me, I would feel just as safe living there as some suburb 50+ miles outside of St. Louis. Others would be scared out of their minds.

I mean according to a previous poster St. Louis Hills, Lindenwood Park, and The Hill qualify as "dangerous" so how do you determine if Soulard is a "green" area "yellow" area or "red" area? It depends on who you ask I suppose.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,047 times
The dont go "East of Grand" needs to die. I have lived East of Grand for 3.5 years now and LOVE my neighborhood. We have never had any problems. My neighbors consist of professionals, families and artists. Remember, East of Grand has arguably the best neighborhood in the city, Compton Heights (I live a block away). Tower Grove East has made HUGE strides the last few years. I would feel safer there than several other places west of Grand.

To Marksman, St Charles has Main Street, thats it, the rest is suburban and looks like anywhere else USA. New Town is not a good example, it's a little creepy and people cannot give away their house right now. It was cheaply made, put up too fast and oh yeah, ITS IN A FLOODPLAIN!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM

263 posts, read 529,914 times
Quote:

Character? Inside 170?

Yes, that was a typo - inside 270 is what I meant.

There's no character in St. Charles, sorry. And who wants to make that drive to "play" in St. Louis? I wouldn't want to drive 40 minutes back to St. Charles after having a good time in the city or Clayton. Not a very smart idea.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
The dont go "East of Grand" needs to die. I have lived East of Grand for 3.5 years now and LOVE my neighborhood. We have never had any problems. My neighbors consist of professionals, families and artists. Remember, East of Grand has arguably the best neighborhood in the city, Compton Heights (I live a block away). Tower Grove East has made HUGE strides the last few years. I would feel safer there than several other places west of Grand.

To Marksman, St Charles has Main Street, thats it, the rest is suburban and looks like anywhere else USA. New Town is not a good example, it's a little creepy and people cannot give away their house right now. It was cheaply made, put up too fast and oh yeah, ITS IN A FLOODPLAIN!
+1
Compton Heights is one of my fave areas in STL.
I also echo everything you say about St Charles.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
HCC

88 posts, read 290,392 times
Just a little story...about 10 years ago I met a young couple in their 30s who had relocated to St Louis from Seattle for a job. They had been strongly advised to move to Creve Couer, well they did and they were absolutely miserable. Picture the most average, boring, middle America suburb with nothing but subdivision, after subdivision of same, same, same on their tighty 1/4 acre, driving car pool and from strip mall to strip mall-that's Creve Couer. Safe, maybe, but b-b-b-boring! I recommended the couple check out the Central West End and they did and they came back and said, "Oh, if we had only known, we love it down there."

For a single person, male or female in their 30s, relocating to St Louis and looking for a unique area, with interesting shops and restaurants, parks, walkable, good architecture, a mix of singles and families, relatively safe and that has a sense of community, I would recommend the following:

The Central West End
Tower Grove Park
Lafayette Square
Soulard

Do some research through all the many blogs on St Louis, there are many of them and they are great resources.

As for mentality, Marksman84 has hit it spot on, St Louis can be challenging for newcomers. I completely agree that you should be doing a good amount of research on clubs and activities and maybe join a newcomers group through meetup.com. St Louis is an old, established insular city that takes it's traditions very seriously. There can be a wariness and uneasiness about accepting people who are different and in St Louis not being from there IS different. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, STL is a great city and has more to offer than ever, but it can take a bit to establish yourself there, as suggested, just be patient.

I grew up in STL and have lived in a number of other places, currently in NYC and I'm considering moving back. I will say, the mentality there is VERY different than any other place I've lived or visited. You will run across your share of inept, xenophobic and the very smug. I lived in the Central West End for almost 4 years before moving East and found it to be the most enlightened, open, happening area there.

Anyway, this is just one guy in his 30s opinion, but certainly worth looking into. Good luck and make sure you visit before hand.

Post Script: And as for safety, I did have my car window smashed in the Central West End, though that was it, never heard or experienced any serious or violent crime there. A few years ago a Creve Couer woman walked into her home in the middle of the afternoon and was tragically shot dead when she interrupted 2 boys from the local high school robbing the place. Violence can happen anywhere.

Last edited by HCC; 07-15-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 06:34 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Yes, that was a typo - inside 270 is what I meant.

There's no character in St. Charles, sorry. And who wants to make that drive to "play" in St. Louis? I wouldn't want to drive 40 minutes back to St. Charles after having a good time in the city or Clayton. Not a very smart idea.

What do you drive, a rickshaw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis