Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Does gardening while drinking beer count?
yeah that sounds legit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM

264 posts, read 700,447 times
I wonder what's the consensus about drinking beer and watching someone do your gardening?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespicableMe View Post
I wonder what's the consensus about drinking beer and watching someone do your gardening?
Perfectly acceptable!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 PM

One thing I don't like about St Louis or the midwest in general for that matter is that women in their 20s are either engaged or married with kids or desperate to find their significant other before they turn 25. I don't know if its the general mood here because even most of my college mates got married in their early 20s.

Its almost impossible to find single ladies at the bars or night clubs.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^
Where are you hanging out? I see you live in Kirkwood, you will probably find that because people tend to move out there to start families. I have a lot of single friends in the late 20's/early 30's, almost all live in the city limits.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM

That might be one reason but still I observed this in most downtown pubs too.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^
I would say my friends and I are downtown on a regular basis and NEVER have a problem meeting single people our age (late 20's/early 30's). I do agree that the midwest in general gets married earlier than the coasts, but not earlier than the south. I moved to the south right out of college, and couldn't believe how everyone was already settled down. If you want to meet singles your age, you have to hang out in the right areas, such as downtown, Central West End, South Grand and Soulard

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^^ I think this is mostly because the Landing and Wash Ave are full of St. Louis' "bridge and tunnel" crowd on the weekend and LOTS of bachelorette parties.

True story: when one of my dear friends was getting married (she was 27 by the way and the first of her very large group of friends to get married) and I was a bridesmaid, the maid of honor called me to talk about planning the bachelorette party and said "So, someone told me we should go to the ... [said really slowly and unsure as if reading it off a piece of paper] Washington Avenue Loft District?" A lot of people who rarely go to the city, end up going in big giant groups (often with penis popsicles) to the downtown bars.

My point is that I feel pretty confident that the average age in St. Louis for women to marry is probably near the national average -- which is about 26 I believe.

In a wildly unscientific study, I just looked through my facebook friends. I went to a large suburban St. Louis high school and I'm friends with roughly 70% of my graduating class. For the women, singles out number married 4:1! There's also a couple who are divorced -- which are really, for our purposes, single too. The difference for the guys is pretty small, tho there are fewer who are married -- about 6:1.

In looking through college friends briefly, it appears that even fewer of them are married -- though that has, I'm sure, a lot to do with who I'm friends with. Not as random (or localized) a sample.

People complain about the dating scene in every city -- even much larger ones than St. Louis. It's hard everywhere.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Initially, I am inclined to agree with DespicableMe. It used to bother me to see how many of my high school classmates were getting married and having kids when they were barely old enough to drink. Then I think about it most people I went to high school with still aren't married and still don't have kids and are all around their mid-20's now. So while it may "seem" like everyone is getting married and having babies, most of my old classmates still haven't done either.

Back on topic, I am constantly amazed at how many like-minded people I run into here. I am pretty much the opposite of the stereotypical midwesterner (a stupid stereotype, I might add) and most people I meet are the same way.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
If you think we get married young here, try moving to the south. For the record, most of my friends are single and i'm 29. The married crown typically runs in their own circle.

My brother got married at 35 and my sister 30. Most people who get married young do it for religious reasons. There are a lot of singles in the CWE, on Wash ave, in soulard and in Clayton. I'd be shocked if you had any issue there. It's not like everyone here is married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis