U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,541 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am starting at SLU law and just moved with my husband to the st. louis hills area. We share a car and with his new work schedule it looks as if I am not going to be able to take the car to school or have him drop me off on a regular basis. I am looking into taking the bus to school. It seems as if it will take about an hour to get to SLU from where I live, which isn't particularly convenient, but doable. My question is- how safe is it to take the bus? I am a small girl and will be traveling alone, although mostly I will be taking the bus in the mornings when it is light out and not as often taking it home at night. How do people feel about using the bus as a means of transportation out here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,800,260 times
I don't know enough about any particular bus line in St. Louis to feel comfortable saying it's safe or not safe. I have taken the bus and it was fine, but it was a short distance and never on a regular basis.

But if you're in St. Louis Hills could your husband just take you to the Shrewsbury metro station? It's certainly a circuitous route, but probably no slower than the bus and easier to depend on.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,413,802 times
Personally, from STL Hills, I would bike to the Shrewsbury metro train station. It's a decent (decent as in decently long) train ride from there to SLU (and I'm not really a fan of the Grand station where you would have to get off to get to SLU), but that is still what I'd do. I don't see why the bus wouldn't be safe, but I am not an expert as I have only ridden it 3-4 times at most. I always took the train ... but the opposite way - was living in CWE and taking it to Maplewood for work.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,800,260 times
Agreed about Grand -- I think it's plenty safe to get on and off at the Grand stop during the day, but as a woman alone I wouldn't feel comfortable at night. If you have late nights would he be able to pick you up from campus?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,367,667 times
I'm not as familiar with the route out in St Louis Hills, but I used to ride the 70 bus on Grand quite often. The Grand bus is pretty heavily used and often crowded. If you soley use the bus, you'll probably transfer on to this bus line. I would feel fine using this line during daytime hours (and often did as a tiny female commuting alone to work during my time at SLU).

Another option is to take the bus/walk to the Shrewsbury MetroLink stop, and take that all the way to Grand. There's a SLU sponsored shuttle that runs between the main campus (where the law school is) and the Med campus 7AM-7PM, and it stops at the MetroLink station, in addition to the 70 Grand bus. If you are at the MetroLink station outside the 7AM-7PM time, you can call SLURide, and a SLU public safety officer or a SLURide van will pick you up and take you directly to/from the law school. I would certainly take advantage of this service when it's dark out.

As a heads up, the Grand MetroLink station is quite easily one of the nastiest looking in the system. The location is just...not pleasant. It's located under a bridge, there's freight train tracks about 500 ft away (trains are quite loud as they pass), and there's always urine in the elevator. During the day, it feels fine, but at night, it just has a really creepy feeling to it. In general, I prefer the MetroLink at night, just because there are typically more people at the station and you aren't waiting alone at the side of a street, and there are often security officers at the station.

I also know that SLU undergrad students can buy heavily discounted MetroLink semester passes, but I'm not sure law students qualify. Might want to check, it'll save you quite a bit of money.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,373,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
As a heads up, the Grand MetroLink station is quite easily one of the nastiest looking in the system. The location is just...not pleasant. .
Not for long. The Grand Ave Viaduct replacement is set to start soon. this includes a brand spank'n new ML stop.

Read more here
A Grand New MetroLink Station: Scott Avenue Transit Plaza Project | NextStop STL

Original:

New:

[/

Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,367,667 times
I'm aware of the plans. The whole project was being discussed while I was still in school there. Just was never clear on when this project would actually commence. I was under the impression that it was supposed to begin during this past school year. When things are fully underway, it will definitely impact the commute of those headed to SLU.

I'm glad they're trying to improve it, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. It'll be quite challenging to change the industrial feel. It looks like the area north of the station is getting quite a makeover, but what about the freight trains and all that just south of the platform?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,373,017 times
Well....the freight lines will be there until they begin construction on Chouteau's Pond... (laughing)This will be more than a make over. This will be an entirely new stop. See the slides on the link provided above.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,413,802 times
The Grand station is the only station I don't like on the Shrewsbury line. It's under a bridge, and when you go to the top of the bridge, you are in the middle of the bridge. Not to mention that the people at that particular stop always look very rough as opposed to the other stops, and I've been to prettymuch every stop on both lines (well, west of the Mississippi at least).

All that said, I like the Metrolink, and if I had to get to SLU, I'd still feel fine using the station. It's just a little creepy, as someone else said. But I know many people who have made use of that stop, and then walk the bridge to SLU. They have all been fine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis