Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 AM

9 posts, read 13,107 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are house sitting in St. Louis next week (10th-15th). We will have one afternoon and night kid free to feel young again. What are some recommendations? We like good food (no seafood), and enjoying each other with romance, fun, etc... I am googling trying to find something without much luck. We have been to Kansas City and really enjoyed the Plaza as we could stroll around and enjoy our time. Is their anything similiar to this in St. Louis? Country Club Plaza | The Country Club Plaza: Kansas City

Thank you for your help!
JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,282 times
Sadly, we don't have an area like the Plaza here. We just don't. We have cute little neighborhoods with great eateries and whatnot, but nothing as cohesive and grand. I love the Plaza!

Personally, our favorite date night in town without the kiddies is dinner at 1111 Mississippi or on the rooftop of Vin De Set followed by cocktails or dessert at the Chocolate Bar , drinks at Square One Brewery, or to see live music at Sqwire's. You can park and walk. Lafayette Square is an adorable neighborhood with beautiful Victorian Mansions. Something magical about it. Truly. Plus- a safe walk.

In addition, during this time of the year... there are often events in the park that is the center of the neighborhood. Check out the calendar (http://lafayettesqr.com/eventsLS/default.aspx - broken link). You may luck out!!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 13,107 times
Wow, and all these options are within walking distance of each other? That sounds perfect!

Thank you!

JT

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithomas83 View Post
Wow, and all these options are within walking distance of each other? That sounds perfect!

Thank you!

JT

Yes! They are all within walking distance (Vin De Set a tad further, so I would stick with 1111 if walking), they are all locally renowned, and I have never felt unsafe walking the neighborhood at night. Ever.

PS- if looking for something on the more casual side, Arcelia's pretty much rocks, as well!

Last edited by CarrieNeno; 08-08-2010 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,974 times
^Carrieneno is spot on, Vin de Set is very romantic, make sure and get a rooftop table.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
My issue withe the Plaza is that it's at least 75% chains. There are some nice indie restaurants down there, but the prevalence of chains give the whole place a whitewashed feel.

I also second the Lafayette Square recommendation -- after you see those "painted ladies" you'll never want to leave! And make to walk through the park -- it's lovely at night.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
I am a big fan of the Plaza...it makes shopping tolerable for me. I walked around down there back in January when it was 30 something degrees and still felt it was 100 times better than being in a mall. It was very clean and well maintained too.

Lafayette Square is a great choice, but also check out the Central West End if you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis